Log in:  

Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

23 Oct 2017 15:51

Uninspiring. Maybe the fact it's the last stage will force something on Saint Panthaleon, which is a decently hard climb. But I doubt it.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,253
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

23 Oct 2017 15:59

Brullnux wrote:Uninspiring. Maybe the fact it's the last stage will force something on Saint Panthaleon, which is a decently hard climb. But I doubt it.

I disagree, it's the 3rd consecutive mountain stage and the final mountain stage, Saint Panthaleon is a good climb and with an even better one before it we could see action before the final climb, as the final mountain stage after a long mountain stage and the steep Jafferau MTF with Fininestre in the same stage it's actually a good stage, I like it.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,147
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re: Re:

23 Oct 2017 16:22

Mayomaniac wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Uninspiring. Maybe the fact it's the last stage will force something on Saint Panthaleon, which is a decently hard climb. But I doubt it.

I disagree, it's the 3rd consecutive mountain stage and the final mountain stage, Saint Panthaleon is a good climb and with an even better one before it we could see action before the final climb, as the final mountain stage after a long mountain stage and the steep Jafferau MTF with Fininestre in the same stage it's actually a good stage, I like it.

I'm a natural pessimist, by the way.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,253
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re: Giro 2018 Route Rumours

23 Oct 2017 16:41

I think it's not a great last mountain stage but it's as good as it gets for a stage starting in Saluzzo and finishing in Cervinia.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,113
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re: Re:

23 Oct 2017 16:48

Mayomaniac wrote:I disagree, it's the 3rd consecutive mountain stage and the final mountain stage, Saint Panthaleon is a good climb and with an even better one before it we could see action before the final climb, as the final mountain stage after a long mountain stage and the steep Jafferau MTF with Fininestre in the same stage it's actually a good stage, I like it.

Kind of agree. It's a very long stage too, riders will pay for the previous efforts.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,890
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

23 Oct 2017 17:22

Can I just mention the times when we all thought a long stage in the Aosta Valley and featuring the Tze Core - St. Panthaleon would never happen?

Now, slightly more seriously; it has potential. Look at the other really long mountain stages these years:
2017 - great stage
2015 - great stage (sadly didn't watch it live, still really enjoyed it)
2014 - great stage, even despite unipuerto
2013 - great stage
2011 - well...

It can certainly turn out to be a really good day of racing, especially if we look at 2014. That was an unipuerto that came after 200kms of flat and it completely split the bunch, and I'm certain Tze Core - St. Panthaleon - Cervinia is much harder than Montecampione.
mikii4567
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 23 May 2016 14:25
Location: Nowy Sącz, Poland

23 Oct 2017 20:41

No love for Nibali in 2016? Great stage imo if you consider 2013 or 14 as such

For me it looks like a really cool route, no issues about it, especially now that we know that the Cervinia stage doesn't look like ****. Is any of the two ITT's a mountain one? Really hope so, otherwise this looks pretty good on paper anyway, prepared for some overreaction on here, and then Giro will ofc deliver as always either way.

Any news/guesses on who is going to be in next year? Chaves, Lopez, Landa, Aru, with Pinot, Nibali and Dumoulin being possibilites as well, since the break between Giro and TDF is going to be longe next year, anyone else obvious I forgot?
Gerrard Slipped haha
New Member
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Sep 2017 17:06

23 Oct 2017 20:45

Zakarin will also ride the Giro.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,147
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

23 Oct 2017 20:46

I would add Kelderman also.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz
Member
 
Posts: 1,191
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 08:06

23 Oct 2017 20:56

Good shoutouts, also Pozzovivo to lead Bahrain if Nibali goes for the Tour, I guess
Gerrard Slipped haha
New Member
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 10 Sep 2017 17:06

Re:

23 Oct 2017 21:39

Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:Good shoutouts, also Pozzovivo to lead Bahrain if Nibali goes for the Tour, I guess

Lmao epic username. Yeah, Nibali is expected to go to the Tour anyway.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,303
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

24 Oct 2017 02:33

Stage 20 looks excellent. 3 long climbs close together and an overall very long stage.

Looks likely to be 60 + kms of ITT then. Good. We will see Tom in Italy again in May.
User avatar gregrowlerson
Member
 
Posts: 1,807
Joined: 06 Aug 2010 05:46

Re:

24 Oct 2017 04:56

Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:No love for Nibali in 2016? Great stage imo if you consider 2013 or 14 as such

For me it looks like a really cool route, no issues about it, especially now that we know that the Cervinia stage doesn't look like ****. Is any of the two ITT's a mountain one? Really hope so, otherwise this looks pretty good on paper anyway, prepared for some overreaction on here, and then Giro will ofc deliver as always either way.


Really cool route actually. For me that's is clearly a big exaggeration. Save for the Cervinia stage, there is none of the mountain stages that is designed for action until the last mountain. That is clearly the case for the Etna, Montevergine, Campo Imperatore, Zoncolan and Pratonevoso stages, and probably also for the Jaffrau stage. The top of Finestre 60 km from the stage finish is just too far to expect anything to happen there. I miss a couple of stages designed to encourage attack further out than the last 5 kms.
OlavEH
Member
 
Posts: 558
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 06:52

24 Oct 2017 09:28

Why would people complain about that as a last mountain stage? The capacity for people on this forum to be curmudgeonly is astounding. Three well-linked climbs, with a hard penultimate climb and no respite before a slightly easier (but still hard) MTF after 3 weeks of racing in a third mountain stage in a row.
barmaher
Member
 
Posts: 1,707
Joined: 02 Oct 2011 21:04

Re:

24 Oct 2017 13:45

barmaher wrote:Why would people complain about that as a last mountain stage? The capacity for people on this forum to be curmudgeonly is astounding. Three well-linked climbs, with a hard penultimate climb and no respite before a slightly easier (but still hard) MTF after 3 weeks of racing in a third mountain stage in a row.

I had to look the meaning in the dictionary. Lol.

Here people will never be happy. With any route. No matter which route they put. I think the main reason is because we have many forum members from different nationalities and different interests. Those interests will depend on their preferred cyclists.

Having said that I think that you would bet 98% of the forum approval if you put crazy hard (stupid hard) stages. They want "blood" (well you know what I mean). Something like Mortirolo, Madeleine, Stelvio combo. And make it 240+ kms. Cap that off with a 60 kms ITT by the side of the coast where you can get hard winds. Lol.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,795
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

24 Oct 2017 14:43

The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%
rbl85
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Oct 2017 11:34

Re:

24 Oct 2017 15:56

rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%

I wouldn't say that's something negative.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz
Member
 
Posts: 1,191
Joined: 06 Apr 2016 08:06

Re:

24 Oct 2017 16:50

rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%



Dumoulin has absolutely no problem with double digit gradient.

Why such a legend exist in the first place ?
User avatar Chrispol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 19:24
Location: Toulouse, France

Re: Re:

24 Oct 2017 18:29

Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%



Dumoulin has absolutely no problem with double digit gradient.

Why such a legend exist in the first place ?



I don't say that Dumoulin is bad on double digit gradient but that he is better than pure climbers when the gardient is under 8%
rbl85
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Oct 2017 11:34

Re: Re:

24 Oct 2017 18:41

rbl85 wrote:
Chrispol wrote:
rbl85 wrote:The last climb of the stage 20 is not that hard, it's perfect for Dumouln but not for pure climber because the average gradient is less than 6%



Dumoulin has absolutely no problem with double digit gradient.

Why such a legend exist in the first place ?



I don't say that Dumoulin is bad on double digit gradient but that he is better than pure climbers when the gardient is under 8%


I don't think so, he lost the Vuelta on climbs with low gradients for example. You can say that he is better on high gradient because he can ride his pace without responding to attack. This is just a example, not saying that this is true, to show that both side can find reason to explain why he is better on high or low gradient.

He made strong performance on both low and high gradient. He is a pretty complete rider.
User avatar Chrispol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 22 Aug 2017 19:24
Location: Toulouse, France

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Breh, carolina, GuyIncognito, MatParker117, Rollthedice, silvergrenade, Valv.Piti, yetiyeti and 50 guests

Back to top