Register

The pedaling technique thread

Moderator: Tonton

02 Sep 2017 13:01

Eliminate the dead spot by training hard and busting your as&'. This thread is BS . We are all different .what works for Froome won't work for Valverde . It's that simple . Hard work is the only thing that will make you faster ( and PED's)
Lv426

Re:

25 Oct 2017 18:43

Lv426 wrote:Eliminate the dead spot by training hard and busting your as&'. This thread is BS . We are all different .what works for Froome won't work for Valverde . It's that simple . Hard work is the only thing that will make you faster ( and PED's)

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/a-more-efficient-pedal-stroke-ride-smoother-with-two-changes-to-your-technique/

The closest I have seen to the objectives of Anquetil's TT pedalling, all that's missing is that all important knack of how to apply that maximal torque at 12 and 1 o'c.
backdoor

25 Oct 2017 20:43

The article is basically the author's idea of what he thinks is an 'improved pedal stroke'. There isn't anything in the way of good testing to verify that the technique really is better. But of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't better, only that it hasn't been proven or convincingly shown ...

A confusing point to me is the statement -

"We then had him pedal heel down. His perceived exertion went up quickly. What’s more interesting is that he was putting more power into the pedals than the trainer. The extra force he was putting into the pedals was not reaching the rear wheel, making heel down a less efficient pedalling style".

I don't understand how he could put more POWER into the pedals without that power reaching the rear wheel. Perhaps it's just poor wording and might have been phased better as "he was putting more non-tangetal force into the pedals ..."

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

26 Oct 2017 21:06

I was confused by that statement also. But i'm not going to listen to anyone that has red tires either
User avatar veganrob

26 Oct 2017 22:08

Been loaned a set of infocranks which provide a large amount of data about pedalling dynamics. I tried Noel's technique and it is very inefficient. If Noel had taken up the multiple offers to test his wild **** theory he would understand this. Guess this is what happens when you just have observation to go from. And observation from 65 years ago.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie

Re:

26 Oct 2017 23:27

CoachFergie wrote:Been loaned a set of infocranks which provide a large amount of data about pedalling dynamics. I tried Noel's technique and it is very inefficient. If Noel had taken up the multiple offers to test his wild **** theory he would understand this. Guess this is what happens when you just have observation to go from. And observation from 65 years ago.

But.....but......but...... Jacque had such great hair.
Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
sciguy

27 Oct 2017 01:54

My rigorous observation of Jacques has revealed the real reason for his prowess in time trials. That hair style is clearly superior in a man Vs clock battle and this explains all. I mean just look at the awesomeness in the photo above.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie

Re:

01 Nov 2017 17:12

JayKosta wrote:The article is basically the author's idea of what he thinks is an 'improved pedal stroke'. There isn't anything in the way of good testing to verify that the technique really is better. But of course, that doesn't mean that it isn't better, only that it hasn't been proven or convincingly shown ...

A confusing point to me is the statement -

"We then had him pedal heel down. His perceived exertion went up quickly. What’s more interesting is that he was putting more power into the pedals than the trainer. The extra force he was putting into the pedals was not reaching the rear wheel, making heel down a less efficient pedalling style".

I don't understand how he could put more POWER into the pedals without that power reaching the rear wheel. Perhaps it's just poor wording and might have been phased better as "he was putting more non-tangetal force into the pedals ..."

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Unweighting is not as effective when pedalling heels down style ?
backdoor

Re: Re:

01 Nov 2017 21:18

backdoor wrote:
JayKosta wrote:...

Unweighting is not as effective when pedalling heels down style ?

---
My confusion is about why the author(s) said that more POWER was being put into the pedals, and that POWER was not reaching the rear wheel.

POWER is a specific technical term about the amound of WORK done in a period of time, and WORK is also a technical term - usually defined in terms of raising an amount of weight (or mass) up from the ground (against the force of gravity).

From a techincal view, if X horsepower is applied to the pedals, then that same X horsepower should reach the rear wheel - minus very small loss due to friction.

If the pedalling style causes effort to be applied to the pedals in a non-tangental direction, then there isn't as much POWER really being applied to the pedals - it's wasted physical effort (for example pushing straight down on the pedal at 12 o'clock can be a lot of effort without any POWER being generated).

The author's use of the word POWER is confusing because it indicates that the author doesn't really understand the technical terminology, and that makes me question whether there are other errors, etc.

The issue of 'heel down', isn't a concern to me. Perhaps the cyclist hadn't trained using that technique, so he couldn't perform it to its best effect.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

01 Nov 2017 22:12

Jay

I believe the authors didn't realize that the Vector pedals would correctly calculate the power when ridden in a heel down position. I also believe that they had too much faith in the Kickr's accuracy. They proved themselves too uninformed to allow me any faith in their work.

YMMV

Hugh
Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
sciguy

Previous

Return to General