Register

Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

15 Sep 2017 10:17

Push-bike is still a common term around here for anything that isn't a Motorbike or Mountain bike.
The term "Racer" is still used to describe a drop-barred push=bike too...generally by people who don't ride :rolleyes:

Survey done......it's Brake Cleaner not Break Cleaner BTW :)
User avatar Ibbo68

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

14 Oct 2017 13:50

ilovemtbks wrote:Hi everybody,

we are currently working on a new cleaning product for our bikes and we are curious who else is the type of guy who cleans his bike regularly. So I just wanted to ask you guys if you could help me with that and spend 3-5 minutes answering a few questions for us. If you don't want to take part I can also ask you right here. Everything is completely anonymous and we are not looking for any personal information or contact details. So if anyone wants to support me please go to

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1yA3okCwPtJXGTnzzdveAO1Z3qiSuQU4bedFQ0QGrjhA/edit?usp=drive_web

Thanks guys! And if you have any questions just let me know

Rags - mostly old tee shirts and towels, degreaser for the chain, cassette and rims. The chain and cassette get doused with alcohol for cleaning drying. I use a hose on the bike at times. I am not overly concerned with water infiltration except at the hubs. I’ve never seen any water infiltration when I grease the hubs. If I never rode a less than pristine bike, I would not ride much.
User avatar TigerFish

14 Oct 2017 19:53

Why is this not closed?
And GM is right, soap and water.
Baby wipes?
User avatar veganrob

Re:

17 Oct 2017 15:32

veganrob wrote:Why is this not closed?
And GM is right, soap and water.
Baby wipes?

Same here, I clean my bike with water and soap only. Anyway, I hope I helped you.
audrey27

Re: Re:

07 Nov 2017 06:29

Vino's Mum wrote:
Lv426 wrote:Wipe your frame with baby wipes. Wipe your wheels with baby wipes. No chance of any water getting anywhere . It works just fine.
Take your rear wheel off and wipe your cassette , you can pull the baby wipes between cogs easy . It cleans very well and no mess.
If you use a Y ban chain and carbon chainrings ( I do) you don't even need to use any lube , the ybans are self lubing. So you just wipe the chain with a couple of baby wipes . It takes very little time you have no danger of getting water into hubs etc and your bike looks pristine. If you have a carbon frame or parts use some aero 303 and this will give nice protection, uva etc. I have being doing this for years and both my bikes are spotless. I never ride a dirty bike . My cassette is always spotless.
I think for myself and do what works and this works real well.

This fella does exactly the same:
I agree with you, the same thing I did. This saves you a lot of effort and water too. It doesn't take to much time, lets you save time and effort. Cheers!
viewtopic.php?p=1805572#p1805572
audrey27

08 Nov 2017 19:43

This is my bike 4 kilos ( clinchers) I don’t need to use water . I don’t need to waste resources. 1 baby wipe cleans my bike .
I use aero 303 to look after the raw carbon , if it gets wet in the rain I use a few more baby wipes .
I have just bought a thm crankset that will go on. .

I also have a weight weenie trek that I’m currently rebuilding . That to will be around the 4 kilo or under mark .

I ride single chain ring 53 x 28 on the guru in the photo . No issues at all for me climbing in the big ring . I never touched the 28 mostly jumping between the 19 ,21,24, up the Cole d eze . On the other climbs round Nice I did not even touch the 24. I’ve always been able to ride/climb in those kind of gears quite easy.

A lot of you know who I am . I hope the mods at least keep my bike photo up for you to share . I did have some lightweight wheels on and it was well under 4 kilos ...enjoy i hope

Cheers
Unimatrix
Newly Registered Member

09 Nov 2017 08:51

I was wondering if you would go down the single chainring route.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

09 Nov 2017 10:02

I hate whack-a-mole.

I'm almost certain that producing baby wipes wastes much more water than washing a bike.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

28 Nov 2017 13:24

Unimatrix wrote:Image

This is my bike 4 kilos ( clinchers) I don’t need to use water . I don’t need to waste resources. 1 baby wipe cleans my bike .
I use aero 303 to look after the raw carbon , if it gets wet in the rain I use a few more baby wipes .
I have just bought a thm crankset that will go on. .

I also have a weight weenie trek that I’m currently rebuilding . That to will be around the 4 kilo or under mark .

I ride single chain ring 53 x 28 on the guru in the photo . No issues at all for me climbing in the big ring . I never touched the 28 mostly jumping between the 19 ,21,24, up the Cole d eze . On the other climbs round Nice I did not even touch the 24. I’ve always been able to ride/climb in those kind of gears quite easy.

A lot of you know who I am . I hope the mods at least keep my bike photo up for you to share . I did have some lightweight wheels on and it was well under 4 kilos ...enjoy i hope

Cheers

Many giggles :D

Baby wipes and latex gloves in case of a tube change...classic Ray J,or his fake wife, or Unimatirx......who's next?

Tales of silly hill climb times, bike weights and big chain ridiculousness.......I miss the banter :)'
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

28 Nov 2017 19:38

You forgot “spinning” in 53 x 11 while “cruising in the bunch” :lol:
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Previous

Return to General