Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

29 Nov 2017 14:07

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:every race where vd poel was absent or had bad luck, Van Aert won.

Van Aert has by the way complained about the bikes (Felt) and he's not the only one. The road riders of that team (verandas) also already complained during the year about the slow Felt bikes.
Nuyens (team manager) wasn't happy with the critics. So Nuyens/Van Aert have a small clash now..

"small" I've been told by somebody close to the team that Nuyens and Van Aert were ready to throw some punches. WvA apparently didn't like Nuyens complaining about the results when the entire team had been complaining about the bikes since day 1 and apparently the team also bought second hand 2013 Felt bikes to race on, as the riders felt better on those.

WvA, Dupont, Duijn and another rider rode the Tour of Belgium on a bike from between 2011-2013. Gaetan Bille bought himself the latest Felt bike but Nuyens prohibited him from riding on it. Riders rode the omloop on a cross bike.
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

29 Nov 2017 22:55

I saw a tweet this morning from Jose Been about this. I thought it was strange when Wout changed from Colnago to Felt from the start of this year...and the re-organisation of the team/ teams. Looks all a bit amateur...
Axel Hangleck

30 Nov 2017 04:12

How can they build a bike that far off? If that's true, they need to get some new engineers.
jmdirt

Re:

30 Nov 2017 07:43

jmdirt wrote:How can they build a bike that far off? If that's true, they need to get some new engineers.

Exactly. That's why I think it's nonsense. Van der Poel seems to have more mecanichals than Van Aert. He still manages to win a lot of races, though.
jflemaire

10 Dec 2017 15:56

PFP made a nice return tot the sport!
jmdirt

10 Dec 2017 19:29

...and MVDP makes it 2 for 2 this weekend, winning the DVV Trophy race at Essen yesterday and today the Druivencross at Overijse.

Interesting tweet (and replies to said tweet) by Adam Myerson:
"I’m at the point where watching MVDP ride away on lap 1 just makes me angry. What happens when sponsorship disappears because only 1 rider is on TV for most of the men’s race?"

Now I'm only getting into cross the last few seasons, basically since Mathieu and Wout have been winning everything, so still have a lot to learn about 'cross history, but didnt Nys dominate for years before these guys came around (and Nys retired)? Or were his wins less crazy exhibitions, not the "ride away on lap 1 and lead for the rest of the race"-type rides MVDP does?
davebqvst

10 Dec 2017 19:51

I only followed the latest years of Sven Nys but indeed even though he won a lot those races were much more disputed affairs. Other riders (Niels Albert particularly) still managed to beat him, or battle with him until the very end when they were outsmarted by Nys. Youtube has a lot of races from those years; they're worth a watch. Nowadays I find the ladies races much more interesting.
jflemaire

10 Dec 2017 23:11

Anyone knows where to watch the replays of the races?

Since Flobikes have taken over the streaming of the Superprestige, DVV, Soudal and some off-trophy races, it's been a nightmare to find a proper replay when I can't watch the race live. And now they even want 30 euros/month to watch a couple of races per week. That's not the way to globalize the sport I think.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

Yesterday 15:10

Ricco' wrote:Anyone knows where to watch the replays of the races?

Since Flobikes have taken over the streaming of the Superprestige, DVV, Soudal and some off-trophy races, it's been a nightmare to find a proper replay when I can't watch the race live. And now they even want 30 euros/month to watch a couple of races per week. That's not the way to globalize the sport I think.

I don't think the sport is doing anywhere near enough to grow, and go global. Actually, do the Belgians really want 'their' sport going global?

I've seen Helen Wyman is still looking for sponsorship. Well no British company is going to come forward as there's nowhere for exposure here in the UK. Apart from the World Cups, there is no 'official' streaming of any races....
Why geoblock races - it makes no sense; unless you don't want the sport growing.
Axel Hangleck

Re: Re:

Yesterday 15:39

Axel Hangleck wrote:I've seen Helen Wyman is still looking for sponsorship. Well no British company is going to come forward as there's nowhere for exposure here in the UK. Apart from the World Cups, there is no 'official' streaming of any races....
Why geoblock races - it makes no sense; unless you don't want the sport growing.

Yes, it makes no sense.

Noah (the guy from Youtube account Cycling Games), Roderic Kreunen or Cyclocrossable did a good job providing the streams and the full replays of the races for anyone who didn't had Sporza, Play Sports or whatever other belgian or dutch channel. But now Flobikes take everything out of YouTube and charge 30$/month to see 1 or 2 races per weekend and without commentary.

Eurosport also bought the rights to the World Cups but they are stuck on the player.

UCI should make it a priority to improve exposure if they want the sport to grow.
User avatar Ricco'

Previous

Return to General