Register

Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

30 Nov 2017 13:01

huge wrote:
pink_jersey wrote:
dacooley wrote:Sky are going to isolate a threat of probable team 2015 astana-esque effort. the question is if any new upstart will manage to take on Froome. So far, I don't see anyone being able to do that. The only candidate is Aru in case he improves his top conditions. Yates brothers, Chaves, Pozzovivo, Meintejs don't look like guys froome will have difficulties to deal with. with froome planning to do the giro, the likelihood of nibali and dimoulin racing it as well goes down. furthermore, let's not forget the nature of the giro course which is traditionally fraught with sensations and suprises.

Landa and Chaves will be Froome main rivals in the Giro. I think Dumoulin will ride TdF. Nibali as well.

Froome, Landa, Chaves, Aru and maybe Pinot in the Giro and Froome, Quintana, Dumoulin, Nibali, Porte and Valverde in the TdF.
I'm not sure what Bardet and Uran are thinking right now. I think Giro route is better for them.

I don't think Dumoulin will ride the Giro either. Too little ITT and too much climbing this year.
As for Nibali, I think he wants to ride the Tour, but at the same time I believe he is strongly attracted by the Giro. The 3 stages in Sicily are one reason. The second is that in my opinion he would like to compete against Froome on Italian roads. Despite many thinking the opposite, that he would decide to skip it to avoid the Briton.

Nibali will ride the Tour, I have no doubts. Normally also Tom, Unzue/Quintana already decided. This leaves Froome as a huge favorite to win the Giro. I don't think either Landa, Aru or anybody else can really threaten him only maybe the weather and some unexpected circumstances.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

Re:

30 Nov 2017 13:04

Robert5091 wrote:"Maybe he thinks it's now or never for the Giro." Maybe 2 million Euros helped make up his mind. Surprised SDB & Sky agreed to it - "Money talks"!

Sure but I doubt it's the only reason he's doing the Giro. It's a big step for Sky considering their past failures at the Giro but with Froome there, the team performance already goes up a few notches.
movingtarget
Veteran

30 Nov 2017 13:05

Rollthedice wrote:
huge wrote:
pink_jersey wrote:
dacooley wrote:Sky are going to isolate a threat of probable team 2015 astana-esque effort. the question is if any new upstart will manage to take on Froome. So far, I don't see anyone being able to do that. The only candidate is Aru in case he improves his top conditions. Yates brothers, Chaves, Pozzovivo, Meintejs don't look like guys froome will have difficulties to deal with. with froome planning to do the giro, the likelihood of nibali and dimoulin racing it as well goes down. furthermore, let's not forget the nature of the giro course which is traditionally fraught with sensations and suprises.

Landa and Chaves will be Froome main rivals in the Giro. I think Dumoulin will ride TdF. Nibali as well.

Froome, Landa, Chaves, Aru and maybe Pinot in the Giro and Froome, Quintana, Dumoulin, Nibali, Porte and Valverde in the TdF.
I'm not sure what Bardet and Uran are thinking right now. I think Giro route is better for them.

I don't think Dumoulin will ride the Giro either. Too little ITT and too much climbing this year.
As for Nibali, I think he wants to ride the Tour, but at the same time I believe he is strongly attracted by the Giro. The 3 stages in Sicily are one reason. The second is that in my opinion he would like to compete against Froome on Italian roads. Despite many thinking the opposite, that he would decide to skip it to avoid the Briton.

Nibali will ride the Tour, I have no doubts. Normally also Tom, Unzue/Quintana already decided. This leaves Froome as a huge favorite to win the Giro. I don't think either Landa, Aru or anybody else can really threaten him only maybe the weather and some unexpected circumstances.

Yes I think the option to meet Froome with the Giro in his legs will be too big a carrot for the riders that were undecided. But it could make the Tour a great race.
movingtarget
Veteran

30 Nov 2017 17:22

If Landa is anywhere near his TdF 2017 form, he'll be a challenge for Froome, I have no doubt about it.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

30 Nov 2017 18:04

How can he possibly be a challenge having basically lost time on every single mountain? He only got close because being on Sky allowed him to get into the breakaway. Frankly, judging from his past performances, he won't finish this Giro.
hazaran

30 Nov 2017 18:08

movingtarget wrote:
pink_jersey wrote:

I think Aru will do better than Chaves. I think he will do well but Orica will have a stronger team and they don't mind some long range attacks sometimes. Of course the achilles heel for Chaves is the TT.

My understanding is the Giro and the Vuelta are the key GC targets for Orica in 2018, while the TDF is a softer target with stage wins the priority - Will be interesting to see what team Orica chooses for the Giro.
yaco

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

30 Nov 2017 18:34

The comments on l'equipe are absolutely brilliant. :lol:

It was only a couple of years ago they were criticizing Froome for only targeting the Tour and now they are lambasting him for attempting to ride the Giro.
deValtos

Re:

30 Nov 2017 18:56

hazaran wrote:How can he possibly be a challenge having basically lost time on every single mountain? He only got close because being on Sky allowed him to get into the breakaway. Frankly, judging from his past performances, he won't finish this Giro.

Not sure if you watched last year's Tour? Or Landa's last year performances? :confused:
User avatar Blanco

Re:

30 Nov 2017 18:58

King Boonen wrote:Hi folks,

I've moved political posts to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695

Please keep them in there. Thanks!

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

30 Nov 2017 19:46

Blanco wrote:
hazaran wrote:How can he possibly be a challenge having basically lost time on every single mountain? He only got close because being on Sky allowed him to get into the breakaway. Frankly, judging from his past performances, he won't finish this Giro.

Not sure if you watched last year's Tour? Or Landa's last year performances? :confused:

Due to circumstances he was never in a position to fight for the overall so his performances say nothing more than we already knew, that when in shape he is one of the best climbers in the peloton. I highly doubt that this only skill that he has is enough to unsettle the most complete active GT rider who also has by far the most powerful GT team at his disposal. Landa will probably be Froome's most important rival in the Giro but that's about all.
Last edited by Rollthedice on 30 Nov 2017 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

30 Nov 2017 19:48

Blanco wrote:

Yeah I watched it, always in trouble on the climbs. If you want to usurp your leader, look no further than 2012 for the performance required to claim you're "the best climber in the race"

I mean, at some point that kind of brash claim involves being there all the way to the finish line with your race winner leader, not finishing behind Meintjes (stage 5), Bennett (stage 9) or just straight being dropped (stage 17, 18). Add in the mediocre TT and GT leadership abandons and we get.. a younger van den Broeck :lol:

Actually, van den Broeck has the better GT resume.
hazaran

30 Nov 2017 20:14

Armchair cyclist wrote:

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.

It's frankly bizarre that the politics of road cycling is now considered off topic in the road cycling forum by the moderators here.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

30 Nov 2017 20:19

Armchair cyclist wrote:

Feel free to read the thread title, or not, it's up to you.

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2210507#p2210507</span>]Armchair cyclist[/url] wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2210442#p2210442</span>]King Boonen[/url] wrote:Hi folks,

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695</span>

It's frankly bizarre that the politics of road cycling is now considered off topic in the road cycling forum by the moderators here.

Considering the political implications of the location of a bike race off-topic in a thread about a rider seems bizarre to you?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

30 Nov 2017 20:40

deValtos wrote:The comments on l'equipe are absolutely brilliant. :lol:

It was only a couple of years ago they were criticizing Froome for only targeting the Tour and now they are lambasting him for attempting to ride the Giro.

You have actualy looked up what certain people said and compared it to what they are saying now and you caught them making a 180?
Breh

30 Nov 2017 21:51

Breh wrote:
deValtos wrote:The comments on l'equipe are absolutely brilliant. :lol:

You have actualy looked up what certain people said and compared it to what they are saying now and you caught them making a 180?

No, though they do have a rating system which means you can view the most agreed with comments and at least establish a general sentiment.
deValtos

30 Nov 2017 23:51

Froome's biggest worry at the Giro will be the weather.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

01 Dec 2017 02:17

One of my mates, an amateur pugilist about 40 years ago,
got a laugh last night when he suggested the 2018 Giro is
going to be somewhat like a "unification bout" because if
Froomey wins he will "hold all three belts." :)
User avatar oldcrank

01 Dec 2017 05:40

oldcrank wrote:One of my mates, an amateur pugilist about 40 years ago,

Nice calculated post. It will be quite something if 'Froomey' pulls it off and has all 3 belts at the same time, no doubt. As a long standing holder of all 3 belts, I'm sure Nibali will be the first to congratulate on him on his belated catch up.
User avatar ferryman

01 Dec 2017 07:01

ferryman wrote:
oldcrank wrote:One of my mates, an amateur pugilist about 40 years ago,

Nice calculated post. It will be quite something if 'Froomey' pulls it off and has all 3 belts at the same time, no doubt. As a long standing holder of all 3 belts, I'm sure Nibali will be the first to congratulate on him on his belated catch up.

I think he means that Froome will have 3 titles At the same time. Like McCregor having both UFC lightweight and flyweight at the same time. :lol:
When did Nibali ever have them at the same time? :confused: :surprised:
Having thought further Froome is already holding 2 belts. McGregor style. I like that. What a champ!
Once Nibs holds 2 GTs at once Froome will be the first to congratulate . :lol:
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

01 Dec 2017 09:13

Ya, the reference was to holding all three belts at the same time,
i.e. the undisputed champion. :) Like Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis
and several others that held WBC, WBA and IBF belts all at once.
User avatar oldcrank

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing