Register

Moderators

Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

Re:

07 Dec 2017 09:31

kingjr wrote:On a related note, what about samhocking being called a paid Sky shill countless times in other threads on this forum?

I moved your post here.

Calling people a troll is against the rules, this has been mentioned many times. If people are doing it, report it. I have not seen any reports regarding this so haven't acted on it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Re:

08 Dec 2017 21:08

King Boonen wrote:
kingjr wrote:On a related note, what about samhocking being called a paid Sky shill countless times in other threads on this forum?

I moved your post here.

Calling people a troll is against the rules, this has been mentioned many times. If people are doing it, report it. I have not seen any reports regarding this so haven't acted on it.

Hitch and Benotti are doing it all the time. Of course you have seen it.
User avatar miguelindurain111

08 Dec 2017 22:46

miguelindurain111 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

I moved your post here.

I don't see any of the reports that you filed on this, maybe you should point out specific infractions rather than making blanket statements that may or may not be true.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Moderators

09 Dec 2017 00:24

True. There are literally hundreds of posts a day to monitor and also rules that can be flexible: for example, I mess with Netserk often, even impersonated him by using his old avatar and signature. From his reaction, I feel that he was good sport and understood that it actually was a compliment to him: I like the guy. He knows it. I wouldn't do the same for 99.9% of the members. We all have our threshold of tolerance to jokes and posting styles.

If something offends you, please report the post. The reports get dealt with swiftly, behind the scenes, and sometimes lead to, you know the say, disciplinary action up to and including termination :) . Sad, but we don't want to be YouTube either. We can disagree all we want and still remain courteous.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

09 Dec 2017 01:51

You know, I would say that I'm fine with it 8/10 times, but such references are only truly funny the first few times, so you (I) would have to explore novel ways to signal that you somehow are picking up on what kind of human being that is behind that avatar and screen name you see.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

09 Dec 2017 18:12

miguelindurain111 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

I moved your post here.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

15 Dec 2017 16:23

Quick question mods/ ex mods/ other posters

Is there a way to see what my signature was like 5 years ago. I wanted to find a video i had linked in one of them many a year ago
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

15 Dec 2017 19:36

The Hitch wrote:Quick question mods/ ex mods/ other posters

Is there a way to see what my signature was like 5 years ago. I wanted to find a video i had linked in one of them many a year ago

Not that I'm aware. I can't find anything. Maybe the admins have that superpower, but I'm pretty sure mods don't.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 Dec 2017 20:59

miguelindurain111 wrote:
King Boonen wrote:

I moved your post here.

Have you read samhockings posts? I’m in their camp.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

16 Dec 2017 02:10

No, sorry.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

16 Dec 2017 02:33

I thought someone who claims to be a journalist with integrity would be able to dig that up! :lol:

But seriously, was it a Hitch vid? I don't really recall what you had as signature that far back, unfortunately.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

28 Dec 2017 17:33

shalgo wrote:
monsieur_hulot wrote:As a new member of the forum I don't seem to be able to send PMs at present - any other way I can submit my team?

I believe that you just need to make 5 posts to the forum before you can send PMs.

Would those who caused this problem be willing to do something about it?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

28 Dec 2017 18:03

Armchair cyclist wrote:
shalgo wrote:
monsieur_hulot wrote:As a new member of the forum I don't seem to be able to send PMs at present - any other way I can submit my team?

I believe that you just need to make 5 posts to the forum before you can send PMs.

No, we’re very happy with the current limits. They’ve helped us keep a much tighter control on spam and problems we otherwise end up dealing with.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

29 Dec 2017 11:11

Armchair cyclist wrote:
shalgo wrote:

No sorry, as those who are partly responsible for the problem are now permabanned. Its also just another way to help us keep an eye on new posters to see if they are up to no good, such as indirect spammers, salesman or sockpuppets. It shouldn’t take long for a new poster who wants to contribute to reach the required post count so they really shouldn’t need PM’s at that early stage. If they need to ask any questions, they can do so on here and one of us would be more than happy to help.
User avatar Pricey_sky

29 Dec 2017 12:44

Perhaps the quotation misrepresents the rule that I am seeking clarification of. As I have mentioned before, a rule was introduced prohibiting the posting of messages for the purposes of increasing one's post count. One's post count is the key to being able to send PMs, and thus to be able to enter games.

So are new members to be sanctioned for making posts so that they can send PMs and enter the game, or is the rule flawed in the way I suggested months ago?

Re:

29 Dec 2017 13:35

Armchair cyclist wrote:Perhaps the quotation misrepresents the rule that I am seeking clarification of. As I have mentioned before, a rule was introduced prohibiting the posting of messages for the purposes of increasing one's post count. One's post count is the key to being able to send PMs, and thus to be able to enter games.

So are new members to be sanctioned for making posts so that they can send PMs and enter the game, or is the rule flawed in the way I suggested months ago?

I personally feel like a new member could post 5 times in such a way where it isn’t just about increasing post count. Many people post more than 5 times a day. This is a forum where conversation is had. I doubt they’ll get banned if they post 5 times, staying on topic, actually contributing to the thread, and interacting. There’s so many threads on this forum, I think you could post 10 times in a day and still be following the rules. It’s the way you do it.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

29 Dec 2017 13:59

The rule (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2194117#p2194117) is about the intent: that is why it is a bad rule. You can post dozens of posts that make perfectly valid points, but your motive for so doing might be increasing the post count, not generating discussion or sharing insights.

You cannot legislate for intention. This was introduced as a hammer specifically to hit telencefalus with, but as phrased has other effects, unless of course the UCI approach to rule application is employed. Specific cases make for bad rules.

If admins want to simply admit that, despite the rule being written as an absolute, they will ignore it, that's fine: that is the sort of clarification I asked for months ago.

Re:

29 Dec 2017 17:14

Armchair cyclist wrote:The rule (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2194117#p2194117) is about the intent: that is why it is a bad rule. You can post dozens of posts that make perfectly valid points, but your motive for so doing might be increasing the post count, not generating discussion or sharing insights.

You cannot legislate for intention. This was introduced as a hammer specifically to hit telencefalus with, but as phrased has other effects, unless of course the UCI approach to rule application is employed. Specific cases make for bad rules.

If admins want to simply admit that, despite the rule being written as an absolute, they will ignore it, that's fine: that is the sort of clarification I asked for months ago.

We like the rule and will not be changing it.

Go to any other forum on the internet and you'll see similar rules in place. We were just late to the dance with respect to cracking down on "post count" inflators. We also have live moderation that uses forum policy, logic and common sense. A person inflating their post count by 5 posts to be able to use the PM function is different from someone trying to inflate their posts by the 100's or 1000's, which we are able to differentiate and obviously would not consider sanctioning a new member that wants to join a game or chat with their buddy but would, however, enforce a sanction if we believe a new member trying to inflate their post count in order to spam the forum or other nefarious purposes.

As KB has already said, it's best if a new member finds a thread that interests them and posts some comments to get over the 5 post threshold in order to begin using the PM function of the forum.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

29 Dec 2017 17:46

Hi. What is the post count limit before posts from new members stop having to be vetted by moderators?

I've no objection to it as a procedure, but I'm thinking I'll have to stay out of high traffic threads so as not to cause confusion.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

29 Dec 2017 17:56

macbindle wrote:Hi. What is the post count limit before posts from new members stop having to be vetted by moderators?

I've no objection to it as a procedure, but I'm thinking I'll have to stay out of high traffic threads so as not to cause confusion.

I've answered this question already. I'm not sure why we're continuing this conversation.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to About the forum