Register

Doping In Athletics

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

29 Oct 2017 10:53

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/22/china-compulsory-doping-olympic-athletes-claims-whistleblower-athletics
A former doctor for the Chinese Olympic team has revealed that more than 10,000 of the country’s athletes were involved in a systematic doping programme across all sports – and that every one of China’s medals in major tournaments in the 1980s and 90s came from performance‑enhancing drugs.

Xue Yinxian, a 79-year-old Chinese whistleblower who is seeking political asylum in Germany, also claimed that athletes aged as young as 11 were introduced to the compulsory doping scheme – which existed in football, athletics, swimming, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, diving, gymnastics and weightlifting – and that anyone who spoke against the system now sits in jail.

“In the 1980s and 90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” Xue told the German broadcaster ARD.

“Medals were tainted by doping – gold, silver and bronze. There must have been more than 10,000 people involved. People believed only in doping, anyone who took doping substances was seen to be defending the country. All international medals [won by Chinese athletes in that time] should be taken back.”
China has long been linked with accusations of doping – although never before on this scale. In February athletes linked to the controversial track coach Ma Junren, whose athletes broke 66 national and world records, said they had been forced to take performance-enhancing drugs.

In a letter published by Tencent Sports they wrote: “We are humans, not animals. For many years, [we were] forced to take a large dose of illegal drugs – it was true.” Ma always claimed his athletes’ success was down to hard training at high altitude in Tibet, turtle blood and caterpillar fungus.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

30 Oct 2017 10:34

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/22/china-compulsory-doping-olympic-athletes-claims-whistleblower-athletics
A former doctor for the Chinese Olympic team has revealed that more than 10,000 of the country’s athletes were involved in a systematic doping programme across all sports – and that every one of China’s medals in major tournaments in the 1980s and 90s came from performance‑enhancing drugs.

Xue Yinxian, a 79-year-old Chinese whistleblower who is seeking political asylum in Germany, also claimed that athletes aged as young as 11 were introduced to the compulsory doping scheme – which existed in football, athletics, swimming, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, diving, gymnastics and weightlifting – and that anyone who spoke against the system now sits in jail.

“In the 1980s and 90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances,” Xue told the German broadcaster ARD.

“Medals were tainted by doping – gold, silver and bronze. There must have been more than 10,000 people involved. People believed only in doping, anyone who took doping substances was seen to be defending the country. All international medals [won by Chinese athletes in that time] should be taken back.”
China has long been linked with accusations of doping – although never before on this scale. In February athletes linked to the controversial track coach Ma Junren, whose athletes broke 66 national and world records, said they had been forced to take performance-enhancing drugs.

In a letter published by Tencent Sports they wrote: “We are humans, not animals. For many years, [we were] forced to take a large dose of illegal drugs – it was true.” Ma always claimed his athletes’ success was down to hard training at high altitude in Tibet, turtle blood and caterpillar fungus.

This brings the Armstrong argument to the fore in which everyone who said he must have doped because all the top finishers around him in the Tour got caught doping were proven correct in the end.

Just going on the Summer Olympics, If China had or has a doping programme what does this say about Russia, The USA and even Great Britain? China hasn't dominated these countries at all other than topping the medal table when they hosted in 2008.
Craigee

18 Dec 2017 21:05

TheSpud

Re:

18 Dec 2017 21:15

Time for certain segments of the British press to roll out every doping story they've been working on/sitting on, as means of deflecting attention to Froome?
Sciatic

Re: Re:

18 Dec 2017 22:35

Sciatic wrote:

Time for certain segments of the British press to roll out every doping story they've been working on/sitting on, as means of deflecting attention to Froome?

I don't think so, Froome didn't even get main billing for his failed test so if they wanted to cover up they wouldn't have needed to try hard.
TheSpud

19 Dec 2017 00:06

Sciatic wrote:

There doesn't seem to be anything directly on Gatlin and comments I've seen (eg Richard Ings on Twitter) suggest it was a sting and that the details don't quite add up, so this may be riding on the coat-tails of the Froome story to get bigger billing than it otherwise might.
heartsnotinit

Re: Doping In Athletics

19 Dec 2017 21:48

TheSpud

20 Dec 2017 11:32

Just as an aside while I was looking up some info on Clenbuterol the Wikipedia page has this:

"In 2014, Czech body builder Petr Soukup received a lifetime ban after a positive test for clenbuterol, metenolon, mesterolon, methamphetamine, oxandrolon, stanozolol, nandrolon, fluoxymesterone, DHCMtestosterone and metandienon"

That's some failure ...
TheSpud

Re:

20 Dec 2017 11:53

TheSpud wrote:Just as an aside while I was looking up some info on Clenbuterol the Wikipedia page has this:

"In 2014, Czech body builder Petr Soukup received a lifetime ban after a positive test for clenbuterol, metenolon, mesterolon, methamphetamine, oxandrolon, stanozolol, nandrolon, fluoxymesterone, DHCMtestosterone and metandienon"

That's some failure ...

Maybe he got the ban for not trying hard enough. That sounds like a pretty light programme in the world of body building. I thought they gave up even the pretence of testing in that sport long ago :lol:
brownbobby

23 Dec 2017 10:26

Asthma sufferer again?!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/42465404
British sprinter Nigel Levine has failed a drugs test.

Levine, 28, is alleged to have tested positive for the banned asthma drug clenbuterol and the Daily Mail reports he is waiting for his B sample result.

The European indoor gold medallist broke his pelvis in a motorbike crash in Spain in January - the accident also involved fellow Briton James Ellington.

Levine has returned to training but has not competed since and in April he told BBC Sport he was coping "pretty well".

Clenbuterol is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's prohibited list because it is deemed a performance-enhancing drug and can induce weight-loss.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Doping In Athletics

29 Dec 2017 13:27

I believe the very first sanction for the use of "AICAR" was just enforced with a Moroccan distance runner (a non-analytical anti-doping rule violation...as I believe AICAR is still very difficult & expensive to detect).

Another Moroccan runner caught for doping...who would have thought. Lol

https://www.usada.org/abdelmounaim-harroufi-receives-doping-sanction/
Nomad

30 Dec 2017 00:41

A few times a week I read Cycling news and Velonews and a little less often.. with the literal implosion of long term sponsorship..Froome getting popped and a huge amount of coverage on women's cycling about equal pay for an unequal product.. cycling is real trouble.. motorized doping has the ground cycling races on possibly being pulled out from under it..
How in the f-ck. can the sites both report on an island exiled dog ice cream salesman, convicted and banned from cycling until 2023 for doping get headlines on both sites!!!???!!!
Ricco is a disgraceful fool..why with limited resources can bike racing websites spend money asking..or caring what Ricco thinks about anything..?
Let the guy sell ice cream in peace.. let him return to cycling when it's legal in 2023..
Unchained

Re:

06 Jan 2018 19:38

Unchained wrote:A few times a week I read Cycling news and Velonews and a little less often.. with the literal implosion of long term sponsorship..Froome getting popped and a huge amount of coverage on women's cycling about equal pay for an unequal product.. cycling is real trouble.. motorized doping has the ground cycling races on possibly being pulled out from under it..
How in the f-ck. can the sites both report on an island exiled dog ice cream salesman, convicted and banned from cycling until 2023 for doping get headlines on both sites!!!???!!!
Ricco is a disgraceful fool..why with limited resources can bike racing websites spend money asking..or caring what Ricco thinks about anything..?
Let the guy sell ice cream in peace.. let him return to cycling when it's legal in 2023..

Wait, what!?!? :confused:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

07 Feb 2018 10:34

British Olympic sprinter Nigel Levine has been provisionally suspended for failing a drugs test.
It was reported in December the 28-year-old had allegedly tested positive for the banned asthma drug clenbuterol.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/42972647

If only Team Sky could learn from this, sigh.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

09 Feb 2018 07:27

Zebadeedee

Re:

09 Feb 2018 08:17

I have absolutely no idea. Neither do you. People, athletes and non athletes, die young and suddenly for lots of different reasons.
brownbobby

09 Feb 2018 09:55

thehog wrote:
Unchained wrote:A few times a week I read Cycling news and Velonews and a little less often.. with the literal implosion of long term sponsorship..Froome getting popped and a huge amount of coverage on women's cycling about equal pay for an unequal product.. cycling is real trouble.. motorized doping has the ground cycling races on possibly being pulled out from under it..

Wait, what!?!? :confused:

Looks like he has some French Vanilla with caramel topping
ClassicomanoLuigi

09 Feb 2018 13:34

brownbobby wrote:

I have absolutely no idea. Neither do you. People, athletes and non athletes, die young and suddenly for lots of different reasons.

I asked a question. No need for a sulky reply.

Here's another one for you, as you seem to like more certainty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-5361925/British-sprinter-Nigel-Levine-charged-doping.html

Happier now?
Zebadeedee

Re:

09 Feb 2018 14:56

Bannister had issues outside of sport and they weren't performance enhancing drugs.
yaco

Re:

09 Feb 2018 15:01

Didn't all the numbers to suicide helplines at the bottom of the report give you a clue as to how he died?
Parker

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic