Register

2018 Winter Olympics, PyeongChang

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Feb 2018 11:33

game over for the norwegians in the biathlon.
capuldemetal

11 Feb 2018 11:55

You podium every damn race in the season except in the Olympics. Classic.
User avatar Alexandre B.

11 Feb 2018 12:13

He'll bounce back in the pursuit though. That was a stunning recovery job after that miserable failure in prone. Czechs have gone all-out for these Olympics sacrificing all World Cup pretences with Koukalová out, they were really below par in December, more like the standard we've come to expect from them in January, and two medals in the sprints here - Krčmář had a fair few good races last year but has been fairly anonymous so far in 2017-18, Vitková is obviously proven class, maybe not at her 2014-15 level lately but she's a top class biathlete. Italian men have upped their game pace-wise this season too, Hofer and Windisch have both stepped up their skiing form and that carried Windisch to bronze over equal shooting from Eberhard, Doll and Schempp, all of whom you'd back to beat him in a ski race most of the year.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 12:27

That recovery by Fourcade was brutal :eek:
I thought he would be somewhere around JT Boe but he skied extremely fast and did 5/5 in the 2nd shooting and finished only 22 seconds behind with 3 misses. Compare that with JT Boe finishing 1:12 behind with 4 misses. Also Tarjei bounced back a bit after 2 misses in the first shooting. JT Boe was out of gas in the final lap even more than Fourcade
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

11 Feb 2018 12:28

Fourcade is in monster shape. 3 misses and only 22 seconds behind...
portugal11

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics, PyeongChang

11 Feb 2018 12:34

Really exciting race but man, I feel so sorry for eberhart who finished 0.7 seconds behind Windisch after he had a broken skiing stick in the 2nd lap
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 13:45

What a shocking ending in Luge :eek:
Double defending Olympic Champion Loch blew it in final round :eek:
Also Mazdzer was very happy after his silver, very happy for him.

Gleirscher winning was yet another shock. Gigs will be happy.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2018 16:11

Libertine Seguros wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I enjoy pretty much every event, in moderation of course. I only watch most of these events every four years so its nice. I disagree about the 'flips and tricks' because the games have evolved and need to if they want to stay relevant with the youngsters. ie: Red Gerard winning the USA's first gold!

That's as may be, but I'm a curmudgeonly old crank, and anything that has a place at the X Games has no value or relevance to the Olympic Games as far as I'm concerned. Similarly, I think it's a travesty that 'going back and forth on a bike over some bumps and trying not to fall over' pays an Olympic gold medal and the kilo TT doesn't. Moguls I get - there's a clear objective over who's the best. I hate ski cross (aka "be the first out of the gate, and win") but I get it. Be the fastest, go the furthest, score the most. But Slopestyle, Aerials, Halfpipe, I just don't.

I don't give a flying one if it's a great story that some stoner kid in baggy salopettes can win an Olympic gold by doing a somersault on a snowboard, but you know, good for him that he took the opportunity he was given. Credit where it's due for being the best, I don't hold it against the competitors, other than that I don't value or really respect the sport they compete in. But if that's the kind of competition we have to phase in to keep the Games accessible to "the yoof of today", it's all well and good only as long as, unlike the Olympic BMX, it isn't coming at the expense of other events. It needs to be additional, not instead of.

I'm old and getting crankier by the day, but I consult and/or direct youth sports programs so that keeps me thinking younger, like them, since I'm around them all of the time.

I don't like scored events. I would prefer that they add timed events. Something like mogul skiing could be a great event if it was a longer course with no judges. I also love the idea of head to head, events, but as you said, they need to provide more opportunity on the course beyond the start (not counting the NASCAR shenanigans) through course design, and length.

EDIT: Be careful with the "stoner" tag. In my experience, soccer players party waay more than the snowboarders/skiers. Is getting stoned worse than getting drunk? Pounding mom's prescrip?
jmdirt

11 Feb 2018 17:13

My use of the stoner tag was perhaps more aimed at a separate style of criticism that isn't to do with judgement of substances, but more to do with the general aesthetic and marketing of these flips-and-tricks sports, the slang, the promotional videos, it just seems to be more based around being achingly cool than any kind of genuine treatment of the sport as an athletic endeavour. Having known a few skateboarders and trick snowboarders over time I also can be quite judgmental of the sports based on those people, but they absolutely sum up why I neither like nor value those events. I guess the sartorial side is another thing that I have against these sports, at a lower and more subconscious level. Alpine skiers and snowboarders are wearing gear designed around making them as fast and streamlined as possible. The flips-and-tricks sports see professional, elite sportspeople taking to the snow in hooded jackets and baggy sallies like me on my first day on ice. For some, that may be more relatable, for others it makes it seems less elite and less professional.

I do rather exempt moguls for this because while I don't like the judging aspect, ski jumping has a judging aspect as well and the main goal is about the speed, in which sense there's a genuine case to be made about it being a cousin of the slalom, the most technical of the Alpine disciplines. You're going downhill over a series of technical obstacles, and the fastest to the bottom is the winner. It has a greater level of credibility as a purely athletic competition, whereas while certainly as they become more established as Olympic sports this may well change, but there's still an enduring stench of "Dude, Where's My Car?" about a lot of the X-Games crossover stuff.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

11 Feb 2018 17:48

Forever The Best wrote:What a shocking ending in Luge :eek:
Double defending Olympic Champion Loch blew it in final round :eek:
Also Mazdzer was very happy after his silver, very happy for him.

Gleirscher winning was yet another shock. Gigs will be happy.

I am. Completely incredible. :lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 18:19

BullsFan22 wrote:I just feel sorry for the US audience as they have to go through another eye-bleeding experience with NBC....

You mean like this?

"NBC Apologizes for Calling Japan An "Example" To Koreans"
https://deadspin.com/nbc-apologizes-for-calling-japan-an-example-to-korean-1822906236

That was the Asian correspondent that said that, not some perky superficial morning show host.
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn

12 Feb 2018 10:46

Laura is a monster. If things go on like that, she will pulverize a lot of records here. She might even equal or better the record of Eric Heiden. She is fuoriclasse. And she prefers mountain climbing over biathlon. :D
Max Rockatansky

Re:

12 Feb 2018 11:08

Jspear wrote:I’ll read some headlines and nothing more. Who cares about the Winter Olympics?

Lot of people nowadays.
Kokoso

12 Feb 2018 11:15

Libertine Seguros wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
I don't give a flying one if it's a great story that some stoner kid in baggy salopettes can win an Olympic gold by doing a somersault on a snowboard
I've had a really good laugh on this, but that kids aren't to blame for being kids. :)
Kokoso

Re:

12 Feb 2018 11:17

Libertine Seguros wrote:He'll bounce back in the pursuit though. That was a stunning recovery job after that miserable failure in prone. Czechs have gone all-out for these Olympics sacrificing all World Cup pretences with Koukalová out, they were really below par in December, more like the standard we've come to expect from them in January, and two medals in the sprints here - Krčmář had a fair few good races last year but has been fairly anonymous so far in 2017-18, Vitková is obviously proven class, maybe not at her 2014-15 level lately but she's a top class biathlete. Italian men have upped their game pace-wise this season too, Hofer and Windisch have both stepped up their skiing form and that carried Windisch to bronze over equal shooting from Eberhard, Doll and Schempp, all of whom you'd back to beat him in a ski race most of the year.
Windisch even had fastest time somewhere this season I think...so that came as no surprise for me.
Kokoso

12 Feb 2018 11:23

Max Rockatansky wrote:Laura is a monster. If things go on like that, she will pulverize a lot of records here. She might even equal or better the record of Eric Heiden. She is fuoriclasse. And she prefers mountain climbing over biathlon. :D

It's about opponents being really weak at olympics than her being fuoriclasse. And, well, she certainly prefers biathlon over climbing.
Kokoso

12 Feb 2018 12:34

The King is back!! Allez Martin!
portugal11

12 Feb 2018 12:39

Incredible 20 year old Samuelsson in 2nd place. Martin took this too easily, but in the individual and mass start I don't think JTB will fail like he did in the sprint. He should learn from this experience.
User avatar jsem94

12 Feb 2018 13:40

Kokoso wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
I don't give a flying one if it's a great story that some stoner kid in baggy salopettes can win an Olympic gold by doing a somersault on a snowboard
I've had a really good laugh on this, but that kids aren't to blame for being kids. :)

You edited that so it looks like I'm the curmudgeon instead of Libertine! :eek: :D
jmdirt

12 Feb 2018 13:55

And the Dutch vulturing of speed skating continues.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General