Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Feb 2018 09:48

Singer01 wrote:Klaebo looked disgusted that he was second.

yep. he usually wins the quals by several seconds..

some interesting names in the top 30....like the italian rastelli in 4th above the titled compatriot pellegrino. bolshunov has made a strong statement for a 1st russian medal...i would NOT put too much into the relatively modest placings of the norwegians besides klaebo...especially golberg imo can surge...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Feb 2018 10:00

python wrote:
Singer01 wrote:Klaebo looked disgusted that he was second.

yep. he usually wins the quals by several seconds..

some interesting names in the top 30....like the italian rastelli in 4th above the titled compatriot pellegrino. bolshunov has made a strong statement for a 1st russian medal...i would NOT put too much into the relatively modest placings of the norwegians besides klaebo...especially golberg imo can surge...

Finals (men) feels much more open now after qual round than one would have expected. Can still be a completely red podium though.
Discgear

13 Feb 2018 12:36

Well, Nilsson just overpowered the others. No questions there, a 3sec margin speaks for itself. Falla held Belorukhova back. Other finalists a mile back.

Kläbo just as dominant, if not more. Pelle second, Bolshunov third after trying to push the pace at the beginning.
User avatar meat puppet

13 Feb 2018 12:54

well, with stina the champion, my olympics are almost over !

exciting finals. if someone told me before the race that falla will barely beat a young russian, i'd question them.
klaebo unmatched. it's not superiority, it is dominance. congrats to pelle and particularly to a very young bolshunov who has a bright future. good to see an open competition where norway was a factor.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

13 Feb 2018 13:00

After years of almost complete norwegian dominance it looks like the women have come back to the pack. Whereas the men look favourites to pick up at least 4, if not more golds.
Singer01

13 Feb 2018 15:29

If Ustyugov with form from Lahti last year was here (and considering how well Bolshunov, Nepryaeva, Belorukova and Spitsov looked, I don't see why not). Both skiathlon and sprint would be much different, well done IOC.
craig1985 wrote:And BTW, DenisMenchov, smile a bit.
User avatar DenisMenchov

Re:

13 Feb 2018 15:54

DenisMenchov wrote:If Ustyugov with form from Lahti last year was here (and considering how well Bolshunov, Nepryaeva, Belorukova and Spitsov looked, I don't see why not). Both skiathlon and sprint would be much different, well done IOC.

If northug was here with his best form maybe it would make a difference as well. But ustigov is currently number 10 in the sprint standings so I don't see why it would have made any difference whatsoever.
Singer01

13 Feb 2018 22:29

Idunno Python, I think you sell Belorukova short, she's been really good in a few sprints this season, especially in Classic, being unlucky to miss out on the final in Planica and hitting the podium in Ruka. Falla and Nilsson were obviously the top 2, season long and in qualifying, but it was clear in the quarters that Stina was getting through more comfortably than Maiken.

Singer - Ustiugov has missed a few events in fairness. The last Classic sprint he entered, he was on the podium, but the time before that he failed to qualify. The cancellation of the Oberstdorf event means meaningful conclusions are hard to reach, in fairness. However we ought to point out that an on-form Ustiugov is much more likely to be seen in February 2018 than an on-form Northug, so it's far less conjectural to say that an in-form Ustiugov would have made a difference.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

15 Feb 2018 06:42

women's 10k is on. this is the only women's race that uses the 5k track, if I got it right.

the question is can anyone top kalla i guess.

E: well, haga just did. a dominant victory. :surprised:

kalla second, pärmä (talentless, non-athletic, right?) & björgen tied for bronze.
User avatar meat puppet

15 Feb 2018 07:29

Just what XC needs, more Norwegians coming to the fore. First the men's skiathlon and now Haga.
Singer01

15 Feb 2018 07:35

old muscle mama not even on the podium...cant say i am going to protest. even though i was rooting for kalla, i do feel happy for parma. as to haga's gold - not a huge surprise.

among other observations: it seems diggins is steeling the johaug's title for a fury cadence queen. whatever it takes to get up the hill... and she did it well enough to take the 5th. not bad.
User avatar python
Veteran

15 Feb 2018 07:49

python: björgen was on the podium. the bronze was shared between her and pärmä, who were exactly tied.
User avatar meat puppet

15 Feb 2018 07:51

Anybody not think Dahlmeier/Fourcade win the individual races?
Singer01

15 Feb 2018 07:55

Thanks, meat..i looked at the fis lntermidiate list, saw what i WANTED TO SEE:-) and turned my set off
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

15 Feb 2018 08:03

python wrote:Thanks, meat..i looked at the fis lntermidiate list, saw what i WANTED TO SEE:-) and turned my set off

yup, it happens. at least pärmä wasn't beaten by one hundreth of a second :D

biathlon: think dahlmeier is very confident and thereby super hard to beat. but I'll hazard a guess that Fourcade does not win. JTB or pfeiffer to beat him.
User avatar meat puppet

15 Feb 2018 09:36

Well I wasn't expecting that.
Singer01

15 Feb 2018 09:44

..i can see pichler jamming both of his thumbs in his chest.
User avatar python
Veteran

15 Feb 2018 10:59

That's crazy from Öberg. Dasha was barely faster than her. I'd actually feel a bit sorry for Kuzmina if she didn't win a single gold medal the way she's being racing this season, but you don't deserve victories, you earn them. Still pretty gutted Magdalena Forsberg didn't win a single olympic gold.
User avatar jsem94

15 Feb 2018 12:23

Wow, Fourcade misses his last 2 shots and throws away gold!

As a fan of JT Boe I don’t mind one bit :lol:
User avatar Pricey_sky

15 Feb 2018 12:28

Fantastic race by Öberg, what can you say?! Must admit that I was really surprised to see her pull this off in olympics, which is great.

Seems JTB wins this. Fourcade just wow, no celebrations there. Though I understand that Jesper Nelin may threaten the podium, even win (!), if he hits all targets.

E: Well, Nelin didnt.
User avatar meat puppet

PreviousNext

Return to General