Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re:

14 Feb 2018 19:52

aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/14/trump-privatizes-america/

Interesting. I have seen small scale privatization of infrastructure and its is an expensive, bureaucratic mess, that ends up costing 3X more up front, and then 2X more on top of that to get it correct.
jmdirt

15 Feb 2018 08:06

Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe the model is Trump’s subsidized, tax-free enterprises

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-keynes-is-king
aphronesis
Veteran

15 Feb 2018 13:21

The 'markets' are much different than in Keynes time, but dt probably doesn't understand that.
jmdirt

15 Feb 2018 16:00

(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

15 Feb 2018 17:13

Interesting expose into the world of Julian Assange. This confirms my earlier conjecture that selective transparency was at play in 2016. Some of the logic behind supporting the GOP is questionable though. He complains that the GOP and Trump would goad a president Clinton into more invasions. So the solution is to give them the power? The other thing that struck me most about the stories is how often Assange attributes the worst motivations to his critics. Whether that is cynicism or projection is up for debate.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/14/julian-assange-wikileaks-election-clinton-trump/
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

15 Feb 2018 20:25

The first of those articles aligns with your take on things, I suspect.

I do wonder if the author is crediting the Trump administration with a little too much in the way of formulated ideological drive. So much of their approach seems like sheer and almost wilful incompetence to me.

But whatever, it was a good read, and the author is right to align Trump and Brexit in terms of their enabling drivers.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

15 Feb 2018 21:03

macbindle wrote:Image

More firepower is the answer. Abyssus abyssum.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

15 Feb 2018 21:55

Of course. The prevalence of so many guns is why the US is the safest place on earth. More can only make it safer. Guns don't kill people, people do. Which is why if you replaced all the people with guns there would be no killing at all.

More guns.
User avatar macbindle

Re: Re:

16 Feb 2018 02:18

rhubroma wrote:
macbindle wrote:Image

More firepower is the answer. Abyssus abyssum.

don't look now...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42804741
User avatar Archibald

16 Feb 2018 06:37

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/15/steve-bannon-scripted-questions-russia-probe-414755
During a closed-door meeting with the House Intelligence Committee that lasted nearly four hours, Bannon refused to answer any questions beyond 25 that had been pre-screened by the White House, senior Republican and Democratic committee members said. Rep. Adam Schiff, the committee's top Democrat, suggested those questions were so narrowly drawn that they appeared intended to mislead lawmakers.

"There were questions along the lines of ‘Did you ever meet with X?’ And because the question had been written by the White House the answer was invariably ‘No,'" Schiff said. "When we asked the question, ‘Did you talk with ‘X?,' the answer was yes."

But when committee members asked for details, Bannon said the White House instructed him to invoke executive privilege on Trump's behalf. Executive privilege is a legal claim the president can use to protect conversations from scrutiny by other branches of government.

Can you look more guilty? :lol: "I'm totally innocent - no collusion! - just don't look at my tax returns or ask about Stormy ... but she's a 9 right?"

Trump is the anti-Midas - everything he touches turns to s**t ...
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

16 Feb 2018 07:29

macbindle wrote:Of course. The prevalence of so many guns is why the US is the safest place on earth. More can only make it safer. Guns don't kill people, people do. Which is why if you replaced all the people with guns there would be no killing at all.

More guns.

I take it you responded to my sarcasm in kind.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

16 Feb 2018 08:00

Its a mark of the US gun debate, that you had to ask :D

The flowchart works however. Trump has called for prayers.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

16 Feb 2018 08:37

macbindle wrote:Its a mark of the US gun debate, that you had to ask :D

Meanwhile the gun lobby ponders over (the same people who often call themselves Evangelical Christians-God, guns and freedom):

Catering to the gun lobby and its coercive "mindset development," rather than legislating disarmament.

User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

16 Feb 2018 09:04

Looking at the numbers it's the old story of wide-spread voter apathy enabling a small number of highly-motivated and organised people to determine politics.
User avatar macbindle

Re:

16 Feb 2018 11:09

macbindle wrote:Looking at the numbers it's the old story of wide-spread voter apathy enabling a small number of highly-motivated and organised people to determine politics.

Perhaps with 300+ million guns in all, the problem is somewhat more vast than that.
Last edited by rhubroma on 16 Feb 2018 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

16 Feb 2018 12:36

I'm referring to the success of the NRA in mobilising a relatively small number of people with relatively modest finance compared to other lobby groups.
User avatar macbindle

16 Feb 2018 14:12

I don't think the number of people mobilized is that small. This means there are a significant number of Americans who espouse the idea that their "right" to have so many arms in circulation, is more civilized than your right to not be forced to defensive violence as the only recourse to coexistnce.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

16 Feb 2018 14:38

And the fact that mindless allegiance to a counter-revolutionary document, that may as well be from the mists of time, works to keep people armed and yet powerless.

It’s a calculus of life that individualism won’t let be seen for its cynical side.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

16 Feb 2018 14:47

macbindle wrote:Its a mark of the US gun debate, that you had to ask :D

Indeed...we are falling into exactly what the NRA and gun makers want us to fall into..'it's dangerous out there folks, lots of bad people with guns..the ONLY ANSWER is a good person with a gun'.which is poppycock, of course. More guns=more violence..plus most of the hand gun deaths are at the hands of white americans...

How about
-re-instituting the 'assault weapons ban'
-limiting magazine size(hand guns too)
-DOCUMENTED mental health care? Red Flag, do additional background investigation before permit to purchase
-21 minimum age for any firearm purchase.
-BAN Bump-Stocks

And for right above
And the fact that mindless allegiance to a counter-revolutionary document, that may as well be from the mists of time, works to keep people armed and yet powerless.

Well said...
User avatar Bustedknuckle

PreviousNext

Return to General