Register

2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

25 Feb 2018 20:04

Akuryo wrote:
WheelofGear wrote:A rainy race could mean a muddy surface. Perfect for cyclo-crossers and former mountain bikers.

Van Aert doing this race?

So is Stybar ... 1st, 2nd and 4th already in this race in mostly good conditions. Bodes well for Van Aert.

Strade Bianche is probably the best one day race for Stybar, it just suits him well.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

Re: 2018 Strade Bianche, 1.UWT, 03.03.18

25 Feb 2018 20:48

rainy in Siena thursday and friday, with little rain on saturday
pastronef

25 Feb 2018 21:32

Valverde has apparently said it's depending on the forecast as to rather he goes to Strade Bianche this year or not. Sounds like he wants to go IF the weather is going to be good, but has no interest in going if the weather is going to be bad.
User avatar Koronin

25 Feb 2018 22:07

Show some guts, Balaverde.
User avatar Alexandre B.

25 Feb 2018 22:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piudqGcAW0

Yes please. Imagine Stybar in that weather. Or Wout. :surprised:
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

26 Feb 2018 03:20

It's a nice race - beautiful scenery and great, balanced parcours - but I really don't get the '6th monument' hype. The best classics riders are still coming into peak condition; that makes SB just a very good entree. If it changed it's spot on the calendar + ran for another 50 years....different story. At the end of the day palmares value has a lot to do with history.
User avatar The Hegelian

Re:

26 Feb 2018 05:39

Netserk wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
Netserk wrote:Depending on the temperature, Sagan will club everyone here.
Gigs_98 wrote:So, how long will we have to call this race a monument before it actually becomes one?

Easy, tiger. It's far from even Amstel level. So far, it's a neo-classic.

Yes. Very far from level of boredom. :D
I know that you want AGR to be the greatest race after monuments but it has almost nothing to offer in terms of excitement unless they change the route considerably. Sure it has the history but present peloton is too strong for this type of routes.

Currently, Amstel and G-W are the highest ranking non-monument classics. Flèche is more prestigious than Strade for now as well.

Definitely no monument yet, but it's rising fast and I think it could pass up AGR quicker than you think. It wouldn't really surprise me to already hear some riders say they'd rather win SB than AGR. It can't all be about the years.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

26 Feb 2018 11:38

Omg I just realized this is next weekend!! One of my fave races
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

26 Feb 2018 13:30

Mud will be a given this year even without rain because the snow fell yesterday (and could snow again on thursday morning) will melt from thursday evening when the temperature will start to rise.

Anyway for me the most important thing is a better coverage, this weekend Eurosport showed only 38 kms of Omloop and rugby instead Kuurne, a great race is useless if we can't watch it properly.
Nirvana

26 Feb 2018 14:27

I get it, he smashed his knee but if Valverde really is the greatest all-rounder out there he wouldn't be afraid of the rain or some risky surface.

That's why Kwiatkowski deserves the title. He seems to thrive in the rain. As long as he isn't riding the Northern classics or cold races, Valverde is a close second.
WheelofGear

26 Feb 2018 19:01

This snow in Italy isn't going to have it cancelled is it? Always a great watch this race.
User avatar Poursuivant

26 Feb 2018 19:04

It looks like it'll be +10°C come Saturday, so no.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

26 Feb 2018 19:06

Netserk wrote:It looks like it'll be +10°C come Saturday, so no.

Exquisite.
User avatar Poursuivant

Re:

26 Feb 2018 20:06

Nirvana wrote:Mud will be a given this year even without rain because the snow fell yesterday (and could snow again on thursday morning) will melt from thursday evening when the temperature will start to rise.

Anyway for me the most important thing is a better coverage, this weekend Eurosport showed only 38 kms of Omloop and rugby instead Kuurne, a great race is useless if we can't watch it properly.

In Eurosport player u can watch it earlier but without commentary.
repre

Re:

27 Feb 2018 00:28

WheelofGear wrote:I get it, he smashed his knee but if Valverde really is the greatest all-rounder out there he wouldn't be afraid of the rain or some risky surface.

That's why Kwiatkowski deserves the title. He seems to thrive in the rain. As long as he isn't riding the Northern classics or cold races, Valverde is a close second.

It's actually the cold. But he's always had issues with cold and rain. I swear if it was up to him that all races would be 25 degrees C or higher and sunny.
User avatar Koronin

27 Feb 2018 00:31

repre wrote:
Nirvana wrote:Mud will be a given this year even without rain because the snow fell yesterday (and could snow again on thursday morning) will melt from thursday evening when the temperature will start to rise.

You need to pay 9,99€ per month, no way I'll pay this when I already pay the Sky subscription to watch Eurosport and his load of commercials and useless clip with self spot and top 3/5/10.
Nirvana

27 Feb 2018 02:18

Nirvana wrote:
repre wrote:

You need to pay 9,99€ per month, no way I'll pay this when I already pay the Sky subscription to watch Eurosport and his load of commercials and useless clip with self spot and top 3/5/10.

They won't even take our money over here (US). I'd much rather pay that than pay for NBCGold AND Fubo.tv. NBCGold is like $60 a year and Fubo.TV it's $45 plus $7 for the cycling package per month.
User avatar Koronin

27 Feb 2018 05:15

Those ranking the prestige of this race... Are you basing it on how big of a TV audience it draws and the importance that teams place on it? Because in practical terms, this is what matters... Not what a few diehards like us want it to be.

I'd be really interested to read a formal ranking of importance that teams place on each race. The races with the biggest financial reward are the details facto biggest races... They're what teams want to win most. Prize money and sponsorship exposure.

It's lame how this isn't public. In most sports, the viewer knows what victories matter the most. But in cycling, the UCI ranks races in a manner that is highly misleading at times.

Honestly, the way I keep this organized personally is by going on this forum and looking at what race threads are up and popular. If I went by the world tour calendar, I'd accidentally miss out on big non WT races. This forum helps me choose which races to focus on when multiple stage races are going on too. I would never have known about the greatness of Strade without this forum and cycling torrents.nl

This issue hurts popularity because the casual fan doesn't have a clear picture on what races they should watch. TA vs Paris Nice for example.

Sorry for the late night intoxicated rant. Strade is a wonderful race... I can't wait!!
spiritualride

27 Feb 2018 05:24

Koronin wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
repre wrote:

They won't even take our money over here (US). I'd much rather pay that than pay for NBCGold AND Fubo.tv. NBCGold is like $60 a year and Fubo.TV it's $45 plus $7 for the cycling package per month.

They can't take your money because they don't have the rights for your country.

Anyway I think they shouldn't ask the same price to who already pay to watch their TV channels, yeah you have some "extras" with the player but at least they could make a discount for who already pay Sky.
Nirvana

27 Feb 2018 09:25

Why does there have to be this boring discussion every year? It's a great race, isn't this enough?
Max Rockatansky

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing