Register

Zwift....explain it to me

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Zwift....explain it to me

01 Mar 2018 14:55

I've had almost a week off the bike because of ice, snow and cold. I'm beginning to think I need to get some sort of rollers/trainer. Plus, I'd quite like to do a bit of training to put average speed well into the 20s.

Thing is, turbo training bores me rigid. I've noticed on my Strava feed that loads of clubmates use Zwift.

So what do I need beyond a smart trainer? I've seen an Elite Direto for a whisker under £600, but what sort of computer power do I need? Is there a way to get it onto my TV?
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

01 Mar 2018 19:28

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205625165-What-do-I-need-to-start-using-Zwift-

Although you don't really need a trainer or a bicycle to play the game, really you just need a way to generate the data stream.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

08 Mar 2018 21:41

One week later and I'm fully set up with direct drive trainer, Apple tv, and Zwift subscription.

But I've also got a really nasty cold so I haven't felt up to giving it a go :rolleyes:

Any other zwifters on here?
User avatar macbindle

Re: Zwift....explain it to me

28 Mar 2018 14:04

No matter how awesome your entertainment system is in front of you for this gig, in the end you are still on a stationary bike for more than an hour and that blows.
User avatar Boeing

28 Mar 2018 14:48

Having used it several times I can tell you that it is infinitely preferable to staring at a wall...and nothing beats a turbo for training gains/time

But yeah...I much prefer being on the road too ;)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

01 Apr 2018 13:04

macbindle wrote:Having used it several times I can tell you that it is infinitely preferable to staring at a wall...and nothing beats a turbo for training gains/time

But yeah...I much prefer being on the road too ;)

Long rides outdoors, interval sessions outdoors .... comraderie, fresh air .... all great. BUT ... no way I’m gonna diss indoor training. 75% of my training for Ventoux, last fall, was indoor training ... on my Kurt Kinetic or my spin bike , power meter, etc. Controlled environment, disciplined workouts. Same effect for my fall triathlon on my TT bike.

Would be pleased to exchange some ideas, MAC. PM me if interested.
Alpe73

01 Apr 2018 15:50

I use Zwift all winter and have for the past two winters and I can safely say that I don't lose much, if any form at all during the cold months when in years past it would be the same workup to good form again starting every February.

I use a Wahoo Kicker smart trainer, which easily links up to Zwift and provides a great variable resistance workout.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

01 Apr 2018 15:54

Bought a cheap frame (£35) last week that I've built up with old 9sp Tiagra, stolen from my wife's bike (No, she hasn't noticed) purely to use on the turbo. Didn't seem right wearing out my DA group set and shagging up the dropouts on my expensive French carbon frame.

I'm with you on this, Irondan. I did 3 hard sessions over 2 weeks and noticed a marked improvement out on the road. It seems counter-intuitive but I am finding it easier to push myself harder on the turbo that outdoors.
User avatar macbindle

01 Apr 2018 21:49

I’ve started using it this summer to sidestep the extreme heat + humidity and rain. Great decision.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

02 Apr 2018 00:23

Irondan wrote:I use Zwift all winter and have for the past two winters and I can safely say that I don't lose much, if any form at all during the cold months when in years past it would be the same workup to good form again starting every February.

I use a Wahoo Kicker smart trainer, which easily links up to Zwift and provides a great variable resistance workout.

Wahoo Kickr is golden. Good reviews from DC Rainmaker. SKY think so, as well.

Magene Gravat is its new competitor ... little less expensive than the pricey Kickr.

Both made in China; both excellent; have tried both.

To those that can’t afford either of these, no worries. A basic Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is just as good. I’ve used it to great effect. Music stand in front of bars, laptop, Lance & Pantani on Ventoux, power meter & Garmin. Magnifico.

All in all ... the high end trainers are luxury items to those with limited disposable income for training. Having said that ... "training" is your best investment, as opposed to equipment, if you want to get stronger and faster.

And ... you can get stronger and faster ... without a high end trainer ... if you understand power ... and how to get it.
Alpe73

10 Apr 2018 08:09

I can see the obvious appeal of it -- I have a couple of friends who are addicted to it -- but cheating seems rife, so that's a minor turnoff.
Google it; there are some funny stories about apparent power-to-weight ratios that are better than Merckx, Lemond and Hinault combined :D
User avatar Captain Serious

Return to General