Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

08 Mar 2018 20:57

jmdirt wrote:Rumor mill: MB from SEA to PHI...

No rumor. It's a done deal. SEA got almost nothing in return. It was purely a cap-clearing move for SEA. Presumably to spend on offense. With Frank Clark & Dion Jordan, who played well, on the roster made Bennett expendable.

This one is still a rumor: Richard Sherman could be released in the next day or two. That will clear $11M in cap space. His trade value is low because of his season-ending injury and surgeries to both Achilles. Besides clearing cap money, the move allows Sherman early entry into free agency where he could sign with another team or Seattle could resign him for less money. But my guess is that he is gone because he has already said goodbyes to teammates. This is the "NFL", if you know what I mean.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

09 Mar 2018 15:53

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Rumor mill: MB from SEA to PHI...

No rumor. It's a done deal. SEA got almost nothing in return. It was purely a cap-clearing move for SEA. Presumably to spend on offense. With Frank Clark & Dion Jordan, who played well, on the roster made Bennett expendable.

This one is still a rumor: Richard Sherman could be released in the next day or two. That will clear $11M in cap space. His trade value is low because of his season-ending injury and surgeries to both Achilles. Besides clearing cap money, the move allows Sherman early entry into free agency where he could sign with another team or Seattle could resign him for less money. But my guess is that he is gone because he has already said goodbyes to teammates. This is the "NFL", if you know what I mean.

RS gone! Maybe they'll try to bring him back for less $. He's not the shut-down player that his $$$ indicates anymore. I'm OK with restructuring, but SEA hasn't show good building skills for a while so I'm somewhat concerned.
jmdirt

Re: National Football League

10 Mar 2018 00:04

All of the guys that left or are about to leave were on their way anyway, but it's still depressing to see it. Is this the end of Seattle's run at a SB in the Pete Carroll era? A SB title another SB run the following season, a solid playoff run prior to the title and decent seasons with somewhat disappointing playoff appearances...Certainly a good run for the LOB, Carroll and Wilson. What next? Wilson will obviously stay. Graham out, most of the legendary D out...I hope Carroll and the front office know what they are doing. Hate for them to really lose their way and completely fall off the map.
BullsFan22

10 Mar 2018 01:19

Brown movement so to speak. The jury seems to be out on Taylor and whether he will get much better but Landry is a good pick up.............and the paperwork went through presumably ! New team and coach should be good for Taylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDKOeUCuNRs
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Mar 2018 01:25

BullsFan22 wrote:All of the guys that left or are about to leave were on their way anyway, but it's still depressing to see it. Is this the end of Seattle's run at a SB in the Pete Carroll era? A SB title another SB run the following season, a solid playoff run prior to the title and decent seasons with somewhat disappointing playoff appearances...Certainly a good run for the LOB, Carroll and Wilson. What next? Wilson will obviously stay. Graham out, most of the legendary D out...I hope Carroll and the front office know what they are doing. Hate for them to really lose their way and completely fall off the map.

Seems like shake up time for the NFC West. The 49ers have flipped their roster and coaching staff, the Rams have made some big changes and Seattle and the Cardinals will now have to follow suit to a certain degree. Pete will probably be gone soon too you would think.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

10 Mar 2018 03:16

movingtarget wrote:Brown movement so to speak. The jury seems to be out on Taylor and whether he will get much better but Landry is a good pick up.............and the paperwork went through presumably ! New team and coach should be good for Taylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDKOeUCuNRs

I've been pushing that CLE needs a vet QB, but TT wasn't who I had in mind. I don't know what to think, maybe he can have a breakout season in '18. So CLE to take SB #1 and BM #4?

DK to replace ER? :D
jmdirt

10 Mar 2018 16:52

I'm surprised by taking Taylor too. Maybe he just said all the right things. They must be trying to only buy time until a young QB can take over, and to me, that means Darnold (or another QB if they like him better) is taken #1.

The bigger signing by the Browns is Landry from Miami. Presuming Gordon can stay on the field, that gives the Browns two serious receivers, plus a decent OL.

There is no way I would possibly take Barkley first in the draft. That would be a big, big mistake. With the #1 pick, and a draft loaded with QB talent, and the QB position so paramount, you take a QB, and develop him over the long run. Found an article on SB nation that sums it up.

If the Cleveland Browns don’t land Kirk Cousins in free agency then they must draft a quarterback with the first pick of the draft. It’s freaking wrong that people are hammering the desk for the Browns to draft Penn State running back Saquon Barkley with the first pick.

If you were drafting an entire starting roster for your team — 22 starting football players, 11 on offense and 11 on defense — you’d pick a running back at around 15. They aren’t as important as other positions on a 2018 NFL team. You know what is important? The quarterback. The quarterback would be drafted first overall, every single time.

And to be clear, I’m talking about a draft strategy for the Browns, not arguing who is the better overall talent, because in this case it doesn’t matter. An average quarterback is more valuable than an elite running back in 2018, and the Browns have passed on drafting that player in the last two drafts. In 2016, they passed on Carson Wentz and settled for Cody Kessler. Last year, they passed on multiple quarterbacks, including Deshaun Watson and settled for Deshone Kizer.

When you have the top pick in the draft, you don’t settle for a player at the most important position in sports.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/6/17084512/2018-nfl-draft-rumors-saquon-barkley-browns-first-overall

The only way, and I mean ONLY way the Browns take Barkley first, is if some how, some way, they determine that Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are all equal, and they'd be happy with any of them, and if that guy doesn't pan out, Tyrod Taylor can lead the team into the future, or they'll somehow find another QB elsewhere. AND, they can honestly say that without hesitation. I find that impossible to believe.

As I said before, from what I can tell, the QB in this draft with the most long-term upside is probably Sam Darnold. He goes through progressions very quickly, moves well in the pocket, and has a strong arm. He has three weaknesses though, he takes risks that hinder his accuracy, he has a windup that needs work, and he's young. None of those are deal breakers, and can be developed over time. But whatever they do, they need to drill down at every last film, every last throw, every last play, and find the QB out of this lot that is going to be their guy. And please, don't anyone bring up Tim Couch. Tim had almost NO offensive support for several years.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

10 Mar 2018 18:11

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I'm surprised by taking Taylor too. Maybe he just said all the right things. They must be trying to only buy time until a young QB can take over, and to me, that means Darnold (or another QB if they like him better) is taken #1.

The bigger signing by the Browns is Landry from Miami. Presuming Gordon can stay on the field, that gives the Browns two serious receivers, plus a decent OL.

There is no way I would possibly take Barkley first in the draft. That would be a big, big mistake. With the #1 pick, and a draft loaded with QB talent, and the QB position so paramount, you take a QB, and develop him over the long run. Found an article on SB nation that sums it up.

If the Cleveland Browns don’t land Kirk Cousins in free agency then they must draft a quarterback with the first pick of the draft. It’s freaking wrong that people are hammering the desk for the Browns to draft Penn State running back Saquon Barkley with the first pick.

If you were drafting an entire starting roster for your team — 22 starting football players, 11 on offense and 11 on defense — you’d pick a running back at around 15. They aren’t as important as other positions on a 2018 NFL team. You know what is important? The quarterback. The quarterback would be drafted first overall, every single time.

And to be clear, I’m talking about a draft strategy for the Browns, not arguing who is the better overall talent, because in this case it doesn’t matter. An average quarterback is more valuable than an elite running back in 2018, and the Browns have passed on drafting that player in the last two drafts. In 2016, they passed on Carson Wentz and settled for Cody Kessler. Last year, they passed on multiple quarterbacks, including Deshaun Watson and settled for Deshone Kizer.

When you have the top pick in the draft, you don’t settle for a player at the most important position in sports.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/6/17084512/2018-nfl-draft-rumors-saquon-barkley-browns-first-overall

The only way, and I mean ONLY way the Browns take Barkley first, is if some how, some way, they determine that Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield are all equal, and they'd be happy with any of them, and if that guy doesn't pan out, Tyrod Taylor can lead the team into the future, or they'll somehow find another QB elsewhere. AND, they can honestly say that without hesitation. I find that impossible to believe.

As I said before, from what I can tell, the QB in this draft with the most long-term upside is probably Sam Darnold. He goes through progressions very quickly, moves well in the pocket, and has a strong arm. He has three weaknesses though, he takes risks that hinder his accuracy, he has a windup that needs work, and he's young. None of those are deal breakers, and can be developed over time. But whatever they do, they need to drill down at every last film, every last throw, every last play, and find the QB out of this lot that is going to be their guy. And please, don't anyone bring up Tim Couch. Tim had almost NO offensive support for several years.

As you know, I've argued for years that the RB is still valuable even if the NFL front offices have devalued it. Obviously they aren't as important as a QB, but a good run game makes a QB/offense better. Actually the NFL is coming back around to that as some of these young guys are making teams better. Would Prescott have had the '16 season he had without Elliot? No. Of course you can always hope to get a Hunt or Kamara later in the draft. Its important that RBs can catch the ball both from the backfield and from split-out so that they present coverage issues.

CLE grabbing TT indicates that they intend to develop a QB, and by bringing him in it doesn't seem like they are looking to draft a pure pocket passer. BM has the potential to become a RWesque QB, and he will be there at #4 so taking SB at #1 is an OK move. SB 'could' be a game changer for CLE, making TT's life much smoother behind center. He certainly has the potential to have 100+ combined yards every game which makes it easier for the two WR to also have big games without TT having to carry it all.

Also, look at RS, TB, BF, JM, DB, RW, DP, et al., great QBs don't have to be first pick/first rounder.

TT and CLE are both in a similar situations, both just need the pieces to come together to get over the hump, maybe it will be a great combo. There is certainly part of me that would like to see them 16-0 next year! :D
jmdirt

10 Mar 2018 20:27

That would be both awesome, and hilarious, if they went 16-0!

Realistically, if the Browns can return to 6-10, they might chalk it up as a good year.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

10 Mar 2018 23:28

Alpe d'Huez wrote:That would be both awesome, and hilarious, if they went 16-0!

Realistically, if the Browns can return to 6-10, they might chalk it up as a good year.

They really weren't that far off, they lost seven games by one score...10 different plays and they could have been 7-9 (if you play ifwouldacoulda :D but you know what I mean) If the new pieces fit well, I could see them being 8-8 and maybe even 10-6 if they get rolling. Look at the 49ers, they were 0fer, but close, then add JG and won five. Of course all teams are adding new pieces too so its tough to tell what each team will look like come game one.

I'd love to be in their front office looking at their draft battle board! :lol:
jmdirt

11 Mar 2018 00:26

If the Browns went 16-0....they'd have, potentially, the biggest bandwagon in history...Just my hunch...
BullsFan22

11 Mar 2018 04:23

BullsFan22 wrote:If the Browns went 16-0....they'd have, potentially, the biggest bandwagon in history...Just my hunch...

Bandwagon.com would melt down! :lol:
jmdirt

11 Mar 2018 04:59

Richard Sherman signed with the 49ers. 39 million for three years.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

11 Mar 2018 15:18

movingtarget wrote:Richard Sherman signed with the 49ers. 39 million for three years.

Assuming RS can be 100% that's a good move for the 9ers. I wonder what the guaranteed money is because incentive heavy contract rarely get paid in full. It will be fun to watch his match ups with SEA!
jmdirt

11 Mar 2018 16:02

As I read it, only $11m of it is guaranteed. Some of the bonuses are easier to attain than others. I think if he can keep healthy, let's just say he plays 12 games a year as a starter, and plays at an above average level for CB, the 49ers got the slightly better end of the deal.

Adam Schein of NFL.com listed his riskiest free agents, and no surprise, three of them are QBs for the Vikings. Here's his list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920197/article/sam-bradford-tyler-eifert-head-nfls-riskiest-free-agents-of-2018

Speaking of the Vikings, if they get rid of all three of those guys, and I don't think they'd have to do much more maneuvering, they could sign Kirk Cousins. If you were Kirk, would anything keep you from going to Minnesota? Think about it, if Case Keenum can have a near Pro Bowl year on that team, and with how stacked and loaded with talent the Vikings are on both sides of the ball, I'd rather play there the next three years than the Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, etc. But Mike Zimmer is a defensive minded QB, and the Viks may not want to cough up the $100m contract it will likely take to get him.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

11 Mar 2018 18:35

Alpe, you took the words right out of my mouth regarding the Browns situation with Taylor, drafting a QB, Landry, and drafting a running back named Barkley. Plus this is a deep draft at running back.

Not surprised Richard Sherman was picked up so quickly. I will miss him in Seattle because he was one of my favorite players there. Now let the smack talk begin. If he has to cover Seattle's number one wideout Doug Baldwin no way he can stick with Doug. Doug be nimble, Doug be quick, Doug jump over a candlestick. :lol:
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

11 Mar 2018 21:48

Alpe d'Huez wrote:As I read it, only $11m of it is guaranteed. Some of the bonuses are easier to attain than others. I think if he can keep healthy, let's just say he plays 12 games a year as a starter, and plays at an above average level for CB, the 49ers got the slightly better end of the deal.

Adam Schein of NFL.com listed his riskiest free agents, and no surprise, three of them are QBs for the Vikings. Here's his list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920197/article/sam-bradford-tyler-eifert-head-nfls-riskiest-free-agents-of-2018

Speaking of the Vikings, if they get rid of all three of those guys, and I don't think they'd have to do much more maneuvering, they could sign Kirk Cousins. If you were Kirk, would anything keep you from going to Minnesota? Think about it, if Case Keenum can have a near Pro Bowl year on that team, and with how stacked and loaded with talent the Vikings are on both sides of the ball, I'd rather play there the next three years than the Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, etc. But Mike Zimmer is a defensive minded QB, and the Viks may not want to cough up the $100m contract it will likely take to get him.

Pretty rare situation for the Vikings to be in with QBs on tap ! Whoever they select will do well but I have to admit that Keenum surprised me last season. I have real doubts that the Vikings will want Cousins or be willing to pay him so much. Heard rumors that Cousins did not want to go to Denver so I still think that both of the New York teams will be interested but Cousins may want to go to a team coming off a good season. The Bills may also have a shot and just lost Taylor. Who knows ? Some people still seem to think that the Browns could be the best place for him to go with plenty of young talent to build on but I have my doubts. That success could be still a fair way off even though teams like the Rams and Jags had good turnarounds last season, neither team was in the position the Browns have been in for the past few seasons. The interesting thing re Cousins is that he would have ended up almost certainly at the 49ers if Jimmy wasn't traded. All the talk was about Cousins reuniting with Shanahan and Cousins may be a bit miffed noting the contract that Jimmy managed to obtain.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 Mar 2018 14:47

Keenum to DEN: For the money that's good for DEN. Overall it could be a good fit. Min must think that '17 was CK's best and that he can't do it again. I hope that TB/SB have a good year otherwise this move is bad (I think its bad).

Suh to SEA?
jmdirt

Re:

13 Mar 2018 16:37

jmdirt wrote:Keenum to DEN: For the money that's good for DEN. Overall it could be a good fit. Min must think that '17 was CK's best and that he can't do it again. I hope that TB/SB have a good year otherwise this move is bad (I think its bad).

Suh to SEA?

IMO no way Suh goes to Seattle, who I don't think will even invite him in for a visit. Especially not after Seattle just cleared out about $20M or so in cap space by letting Bennett and Sherman go. Seattle also has some young (inexpensive) interior DL guys or could draft one. They also might re-sign Richardson, who like Bennett plays both DE and DT positions, whereas Suh is just an interior guy. I think Seattle is more likely to spend the money cleared on the OL, where Seattle's LT Duane Brown is a free agent. I cannot believe Seattle will let Brown go, who really played well after Seattle acquired him from Houston in the last half of the season.

Demarco to Seattle? Seattle is bringing Demarco Murray in for a visit. Also they had Jonathan Stewart in. Now, Seattle has a first round draft pick, but after that they don't pick again until round 5. So even though the draft is deep at RB, I think it is more likely Seattle signs a free agent RB like Murray over Suh.

As for Keenum, I'd be surprised if Denver thinks he is a long-term solution. So what is their long-term plan?
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

13 Mar 2018 16:48

Looks like Captain Kirk to the Vikings for 86 million over 3 years.
EDIT: F U L L Y GUARANTEED.

Seattle LT Duane Brown wants to clear the rumors about Pete Carroll:
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/423199/duane-brown-disagrees-with-seahawks-theory/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

PreviousNext

Return to General