Register

Really? No Baseball Thread?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Apr 2018 01:57

The Padres will win the world series against the Mets or the Yankees..or the Indians or the Red Sox..is any of this possible..
Yes!!!
The San Diego Padres are the best team in baseball!!
Go Pads..
Long live Tony Gwynn,!!!!!!!!
Unchained

Re: Really? No Baseball Thread?

09 Apr 2018 06:10

marinoni wrote:Yeah, I was surprised there's no baseball thread. So here we go.
I've been a Red Sox fan since '86 and I'm still fairly pessimistic despite the decent start. However, as a Canadian, I do follow and care about the Jays and I'll tell ya the people who say it's still early, too early to worry are ignoring the numbers.

I'm pretty sure most experts are predicting a 93-94 win season to get a wild card. That is about where I put this team in the pre-season. I didn't agree with the hype about them being world series favorites, I thought they'd be a solid playoff contender and once you're in anything can happen. So let's say they immediately turn things around and play at that 93-94 game clip. That doesn't do it though, does it? They would be short the losses from April. Now I'm not saying they can't catch up but it does mean two things.
One, they've put themselves in a position where they will, at some point in the season, have to go on a bit of a run for a couple weeks. Or they pick up those extra wins here and there through the length of the season. That doesn't sound like a big deal but believe me, when you're already playing at the level you should be, finding even a few extra wins is very tough.
Two, they absolutely cannot afford a prolonged losing skid later in the season.

Finally, it's the pitching so far that I don't get. Near team-wide hitting slumps happen, I get that. But I just don't understand how four solid, proven pitchers can be so bad all at the same time.

I stopped reading when I read the word "Canadian" and "Red Sox fan" in the same paragraph.
This is an outrage.
Mods? You there? You guys need to ban this "Marinoni" person immediately.
Marinoni even took the name of a Canadian bicycle manufacturer when stating s/he is a Red Sox fan.
This is unacceptable and clearly contravenes forum rules. Under no circumstances can a Canadian claim allegiance to the Massholes.
I think a one week ban would suffice.
User avatar the delgados

10 Apr 2018 08:02

Merckx index wrote:Any interest in baseball around here? I’m generally not a fan of any team, but a stat geek who follows the advances in sabremetrics. But something historic is happening in Major League Baseball. For the first time since Babe Ruth, just about a century ago, we have a player who appears capable of making it as both a pitcher and a hitter. And a Japanese import at that.

Shohei Ohtani was known as the Japanese Babe Ruth when he played in his home country. He was considered the best pitcher in Japan, and one of the top hitters, and at age twenty-three, he presumably had not even reached his peak yet. Major league scouts had been drooling over him, but because of the way the signing system works, he could not get a huge contract to play in this country until he turned twenty-five.

Putting career over money, he decided not to wait, and during the off-season, signed with the LA Angels for a relative pittance—a rookie’s salary of about half a million year. The Angels had to pay $20 million to the Japanese league as well, but he was still considered an absolute steal at that price. His pitching alone would have been worth a nine figure contract had he been old enough to qualify as a free agent.

During spring training, he was a pretty big disappointment, both pitching and hitting at a poor level. But since the regular season has begun, about ten days ago, he has exceeded expectations (which were very high to begin with). He has won his first two starts as a pitcher, and in the second one, just completed a few hours ago, he had a perfect game going into the seventh inning. As a hitter, he has hammered a HR in three consecutive games—not something even the best players do very often--all of which his team won. One of the HR, and another hit, were hit harder (by exit velocity, which is routinely tracked in all MLB games) than any ball hit by an Angel since Mike Trout (considered the best player in the game) last August.

It’s far too early to say how he will turn out, but this stretch alone will go down in the record books. For example, he’s the first player since Ruth in 1921 to win a game as a starting pitcher and hit a HR within a two game stretch. Other than Ruth, the most HR in a season by a pitcher is nine, and it seems very likely he will pass that easily. He also appears to have a good shot at joining Ruth as the only player to win ten games and hit ten HR in the same season.

Ruth eventually gave up pitching, of course, because he was so valuable as a hitter. But Ohtani has worked out a schedule that allows him to do both. He pitches once a week, not hitting then, and he also rests the day before and the day after pitching. The other days he’s in the lineup as designated hitter, which keeps him off the field. Just being able to maintain this schedule for an entire season is a major experiment, but so far it’s working.

he was a pretty big disappointment

Slight exaggeration ... and it never registered as a major concern to coaching staff. Any way....

Good summary, MI.

You follow Nate Silver at 538? Before Polling Stats ... BB stats were his first love.
Just to add to your fine summary ... Ohtani is only 1 of 3 players (another one being Ruth) ... to hit 3 consecutive (game) homers + strike out +10 batters in game ... over a season. And it's not even mid April!!!

Phenom if he can keep this up. Big challenge ... stay healthy.

Thanks for this.
Alpe73

Re:

10 Apr 2018 08:09

Unchained wrote:The Padres will win the world series against the Mets or the Yankees..or the Indians or the Red Sox..is any of this possible..
Yes!!!
The San Diego Padres are the best team in baseball!!
Go Pads..
Long live Tony Gwynn,!!!!!!!!

The Padres will win the world series against the Mets Can't happen. ;)

or the Yankees Can happen ... but won't. ;)

Long live Tony Gwynn,!!!!!!!! Ya got that right, brutha! ;)
Alpe73

10 Apr 2018 08:24

the delgados wrote:
I've been a Red Sox fan since '86 and I'm still fairly pessimistic despite the decent start. However, as a Canadian, I do follow and care about the Jays and I'll tell ya the people who say it's still early, too early to worry are ignoring the numbers.

I'm pretty sure most experts are predicting a 93-94 win season to get a wild card. That is about where I put this team in the pre-season. I didn't agree with the hype about them being world series favorites, I thought they'd be a solid playoff contender and once you're in anything can happen. So let's say they immediately turn things around and play at that 93-94 game clip. That doesn't do it though, does it? They would be short the losses from April. Now I'm not saying they can't catch up but it does mean two things.
One, they've put themselves in a position where they will, at some point in the season, have to go on a bit of a run for a couple weeks. Or they pick up those extra wins here and there through the length of the season. That doesn't sound like a big deal but believe me, when you're already playing at the level you should be, finding even a few extra wins is very tough.

Finally, it's the pitching so far that I don't get. Near team-wide hitting slumps happen, I get that. But I just don't understand how four solid, proven pitchers can be so bad all at the same time.

I stopped reading when I read the word "Canadian" and "Red Sox fan" in the same paragraph.
This is an outrage.
Marinoni even took the name of a Canadian bicycle manufacturer when stating s/he is a Red Sox fan.
This is unacceptable and clearly contravenes forum rules. Under no circumstances can a Canadian claim allegiance to the Massholes.

Reach into your pocket. Find the ship. Look at the map.

Don't let the tower over SkyDome cloud your shyte, brutha. :lol:

Good to get outa The Big Smoke, sometime. ;)
Alpe73

10 Apr 2018 15:37

Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

This is an outrage.

I have taken your words under consideration and I agree that my homerism (is that a word?) is a little excessive.
You have taught me to learn that someone from Canada can affiliate with a baseball team other than the Toronto Blue Jays.
But just one.
User avatar the delgados

10 Apr 2018 21:25

Pirates fan here. Yeah, I know, they aren't going to be very good this year. However, I am enjoying the unexpected good start to the season.
User avatar Koronin

10 Apr 2018 22:03

the delgados wrote:
Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

This is an outrage.

I have taken your words under consideration and I agree that my homerism (is that a word?) is a little excessive.
You have taught me to learn that someone from Canada can affiliate with a baseball team other than the Toronto Blue Jays.
But just one.

Props to the 416, bro. ;)
Alpe73

11 Apr 2018 06:13

the delgados wrote:
Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

This is an outrage.

But just one.

All ribbing aside ... followed from 6th inning on (from other side of the world) Sanchez' flirt with the NoNo. (My son had e-mailed me to let me know what was up). Too bad ... but not too dusty to still get the W. Thanks Osuna. Granderson's a sweetheart. He's perfect for just those moments. And he can wear those socks all the way up to his thighs if he wants to ... long as he ain't in pinstripes, baby!
Alpe73

11 Apr 2018 14:35

On a different note: Please recommend some great baseball books except moneyball/eight men out. Thanks
User avatar Black Betsy

11 Apr 2018 15:40

Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:
Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:

This is an outrage.

But just one.

All ribbing aside ... followed from 6th inning on (from other side of the world) Sanchez' flirt with the NoNo. (My son had e-mailed me to let me know what was up). Too bad ... but not too dusty to still get the W. Thanks Osuna. Granderson's a sweetheart. He's perfect for just those moments. And he can wear those socks all the way up to his thighs if he wants to ... long as he ain't in pinstripes, baby!

You are my new favourite forum contributor.
I saw extended highlights of the game in which Sanchez took a no hitter into the 8th inning. Outfielders deserve a ton of credit for making the no-no last as long as it did. More than one diving catch was made.
Too bad the boss Donaldson ruined everything by letting a routine ground ball go between his legs. I wonder why the hit wasn't scored an error.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

11 Apr 2018 15:52

Black Betsy wrote:On a different note: Please recommend some great baseball books except moneyball/eight men out. Thanks

Two words:
Dirk Hayhurst.
Dirk is a former big league pitcher who just happens to be a fantastic writer.
He has published a few books about his experiences. "The Bullpen Gospels" is the first one that comes to mind.
It's a fantastic read.
p.s. I happened to be at the game in Toronto when Hayhurst made his first appearance as a reliever for the Blue Jays. I had already read Bullpen Gospels and almost jumped out of my seat when Hayhurst made his first appearance as a big league baseball player. I remember looking around the stands trying to make eye contact with someone was excited as I was. No luck there.
User avatar the delgados

12 Apr 2018 02:27

the delgados wrote:
Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:
Alpe73 wrote:
the delgados wrote:
This is an outrage.

But just one.

You are my new favourite forum contributor.
I saw extended highlights of the game in which Sanchez took a no hitter into the 8th inning. Outfielders deserve a ton of credit for making the no-no last as long as it did. More than one diving catch was made.
Too bad the boss Donaldson ruined everything by letting a routine ground ball go between his legs. I wonder why the hit wasn't scored an error.

Yeah ... only re-play that caught my attention. Would love to see the Scorer's notes. Methinks ... even Donaldson was milithinking ... "they'll call it an error." Maybe without the no no going ... it would have been. Scorer probably thinking ... "if you can't snag that one, Josh, we can't justify keeping the no no intact. Who knows.

As Ron Washington would say ..."That's the way baseball 'go.'"
Alpe73

Re:

12 Apr 2018 02:32

Koronin wrote:Pirates fan here. Yeah, I know, they aren't going to be very good this year. However, I am enjoying the unexpected good start to the season.

Good enough reason to be a fan. A win for any of the teams I support, even every now and then, is good enough for me these days. My team loses .... turns a real nifty double play ... totally good enough for me.
Alpe73

12 Apr 2018 12:34

Some good fights so far this week!

I know "beaning" the batter is as old as the game, but its over used now. There is always the discussion of the difference between throwing at a batter vs. actually hitting them.
jmdirt

13 Apr 2018 15:50

Only 974 spectators at the White Sox/Rays game............
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Apr 2018 20:39

movingtarget wrote:Only 974 spectators at the White Sox/Rays game............

Say what?
That's cray cray.
Time to revive the Montreal Expos.
More than 100 thousand dedicated fans in Montreal have shown up to watch Grapefruit league games over the past few years.
User avatar the delgados

Re: Re:

14 Apr 2018 04:33

the delgados wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Only 974 spectators at the White Sox/Rays game............

Say what?
That's cray cray.
Time to revive the Montreal Expos.
More than 100 thousand dedicated fans in Montreal have shown up to watch Grapefruit league games over the past few years.

The sun was shining but it seems that 10,000 tickets were sold but only 974 showed up !
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Apr 2018 02:47

Bartolo Colon. Love the guy. So what was the old guy thinkin before he took the field in the 8th last night ... flirting with a Perfect game? .....

"Man, I'd love a Corona and an empanada right now."

And postgame thoughts? ....

Beautiful!

That's the way baseball go.
Alpe73

Re:

17 Apr 2018 18:54

Alpe73 wrote:Bartolo Colon. Love the guy. So what was the old guy thinkin before he took the field in the 8th last night ... flirting with a Perfect game? .....

And postgame thoughts? ....

Beautiful!

That's the way baseball go.

Big Sexy must weigh close to 300 lbs at the age of 117.
Yet the guy flirts with a no hitter.
Amazing.
You are indeed correct. That's the way baseball go.
User avatar the delgados

PreviousNext

Return to General