Register

16/04 - 20/04: Tour of the Alps (Giro del Trentino)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Apr 2018 14:30

Ramiro! :cool:
User avatar DNP-Old

16 Apr 2018 14:35

Well taken win. It seems that cutting off their pay is motivating Astana this year. Froome looked okay. He will be happy with that, a couple of weeks out from the Giro.
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 14:56

Does anybody have full results?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

16 Apr 2018 15:05

DNP-Old wrote:Ramiro! :cool:

A nice 70th birthday for the mighty silverfox Savio. :cool:
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 15:24

Chapeau Astana & Ramiro! (good couple of days for the boys in blue). :)

What's with Froome cutting off Aru again? (Stage 9 2017 TdF all over again?)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

16 Apr 2018 15:31

movingtarget wrote:Well taken win. It seems that cutting off their pay is motivating Astana this year. Froome looked okay. He will be happy with that, a couple of weeks out from the Giro.

It might have something to do with Aru, Nibali and their respective cliques leaving aswell.
Breh

Re: 16/04 - 20/04: Tour of the Alps (Giro del Trentino)

16 Apr 2018 15:49

I was just watching the final kilometers of the stage, and I have to say Froome was looking really strong. I expect him to drop everyone tomorrow. Meanwhile MAL wasn't really looking as good as I hoped. Yeah, Astana got a 1-2 but on the climb they all weren't among the strongest.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

16 Apr 2018 16:00

Robert5091 wrote:Chapeau Astana & Ramiro! (good couple of days for the boys in blue). :)

What's with Froome cutting off Aru again? (Stage 9 2017 TdF all over again?)

Nah, as much as Froome should've been fined for that Tour de France incident, this time around it was more Aru going through a very tiny gap while the Sky domestique was swinging out.

At least that's how I saw it and I'm not really known for defending Froome!
User avatar staubsauger

16 Apr 2018 16:27

To be honest I didn't see Froome that strong. His attack didn't really crush anybody. It was quite easily followed by Pinot, who in fact had wasted some energy earlier. Let's wait for Alpe di Pampeago tomorrow. Normally the Dawg should proof a point there, if he's able to do so.

Pinot looks quite strong this year. He's had a solid build-up so far. His jump was rather pointless though. But Reichenbach as a relais station and the willingness to go from far out sounds like a good plan for the Giro.

Aru simply is an average rider. To be honest I don't know what he's talking about regarding Lady luck. He always loses precious time in the tt and is way too inconsistent in the mountains. In fact he would've had problems finishing inside the top 5 back in the 90s and 00s. He's simply not good enough ride now. That he got to lead a strong team like Astana which pulled him to a Vuelta win is some good luck actually.

Lopez has been on Teide lately. Maybe he overtrained a bit and / or needs a little more time to arrange with the race speed. Given he already looked vulnerable at T-A it's a bit worrying to be honest.

Bennett, like at T-A already, surprised again. But can he maintain that level of performance for 3 weeks in Italy? I wouldn't rule him out for a surprise top 5,if others struggle.

Same goes for Hermans. Only that I would already answer the question with a no. He might finish 7-9 tough which combined with aggressive racing in the flat stages would be a fine performance by Israel Cycling Academy.

Pozzovivo looked good for the first time this season. I already feared that age might caught up with him. Problem for Pozzovivo of course are the crosswind stages in Israel. His gc ambitions might end early on there. Potentially that could force him to go for the KOM classification instead.

Which brings us to Cicchone who I would rate as no. 1 favorite for the blue jersey, ahead of Betancur and Pantano right now. Anton or Dombrowski ain't much of a factor anymore these days. But Ciccone looked quite strong. Especially the way he jumped away from Reichenbach. Hopefully Johnny Grain can deliver us some great attacks in the mountains.
Last edited by staubsauger on 16 Apr 2018 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar staubsauger

16 Apr 2018 16:37

Feels like there is a real Spanish resurgence going on. For a long time it looked to me like there was no real top class Spanish riders coming up. But they just take a little more time to get there than a young Valverde (by comparison).

The Izagirre's are really doing well. Soler is doing amazingly. Mas rode a strong PV. Bilbao has shown himself multiple times already and now wins.. And there's plenty more.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

16 Apr 2018 18:46

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Feels like there is a real Spanish resurgence going on. For a long time it looked to me like there was no real top class Spanish riders coming up. But they just take a little more time to get there than a young Valverde (by comparison).

The Izagirre's are really doing well. Soler is doing amazingly. Mas rode a strong PV. Bilbao has shown himself multiple times already and now wins.. And there's plenty more.

None that can win big races however. When's the last time someone other than Valverde won a big race? Probably Contador during the 2015 Giro and he's retired now.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 Apr 2018 18:57

El Pistolero wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Feels like there is a real Spanish resurgence going on. For a long time it looked to me like there was no real top class Spanish riders coming up. But they just take a little more time to get there than a young Valverde (by comparison).

None that can win big races however. When's the last time someone other than Valverde won a big race? Probably Contador during the 2015 Giro and he's retired now.

Last month.

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 18:59

El Pistolero wrote:

Wouldn't rule Mas (and Soler) out for a grand tour win in the future. Who is better in their age or younger? Only Bernal, Gaudu and Oomen are on a similar level. Of course, this is a bit unpredictable.
ppanther92

16 Apr 2018 19:01

Libertine Seguros wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

Last month.

That's not a big race and he only won because nobody bothered to follow him as he's still a small fry. Let's see him win next year when he's a marked man.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 19:05

Paris-Nice isn't a big race? :confused:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 19:10

I have seen it all now...

Seriously tho, what the spanish riders are doing at the moment is just so much more than we could have expected. They are doing incredibly well compared to what we thought 3-4 years ago when it looked very bleak when Purito, Bala and AC were going to retire.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

16 Apr 2018 19:20

RedheadDane wrote:Paris-Nice isn't a big race? :confused:

Just let it go. I wouldn't want to encourage anymore of the toxic nature of these posts.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

16 Apr 2018 19:39

RedheadDane wrote:Paris-Nice isn't a big race? :confused:

I was clearly talking about the five Monuments, the 3 GTs and the WC.

Not some prep race for the classics with a very weak field (at least this year).
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

16 Apr 2018 19:49

Landa certainly can win the Giro d'Italia in future, but then again he isn't exactly Spanish!
User avatar staubsauger

16 Apr 2018 20:17

El Pistolero wrote:
Libertine Seguros wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

Last month.

That's not a big race and he only won because nobody bothered to follow him as he's still a small fry. Let's see him win next year when he's a marked man.

oh furfuxsake. are you for real?
rick james

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing