Register

Carlos Betancur discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

04 May 2018 18:59

Yes, indeed, it's full of common sense. Whatever happened it might be funny..
If Froome is defeated it would be disaster for Sky. That's a difference.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

04 May 2018 19:34

Nice one. Giddy UP!

Is the vintage Bananito back?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Carlos Betancur discussion thread

04 May 2018 22:58

gospina wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I think it's now quite obvious that the real reason why Valverde, Landa and Quintana are all going to the tour is that Betancur told the team he wants to be the sole leader of the gt he enters. Moreover the three probably didn't want to ride with Betancur either. They want a chance to win after all.

Ryo took over Gigs profile!!! :D

Valverde: I can go for combative jersey
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey.
Nairo: I can go for the mountain jersey.
Carlos: NO, I am going for that jersey too.
Landa: I can..
Carlos: NO, don't need you in my team! Strictly team players.
Unzue: Carlos, we have to share in this team.
Carlos: FINE, I will play you best of 3 8-ball games for it.
Unzue: Not fair, you have been practicing for years on that.
Carlos: Beer chugging contest then. You four vs me. I win, I lead!
Unzue: No chance there either. Nairo, Landa, Alejandro, get ready for the Tour. La Ronca has spoken.

Thats probably the most likely scenario.

La Ronca has spoken
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

04 May 2018 23:08

Betancur has just used the otherwise minor and inferior races like Flèche Wallone, Liege and Romandie as the preparation races they are. What a nice strategy, but I think he should have waited a little longer to show his hand. Unless of course he just went out on 80%. guy is a real tactician after all!

What a legend. Could maybe sneak a stage victory on Sicily?!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

04 May 2018 23:15

Valv.Piti wrote:Betancur has just used the otherwise minor and inferior races like Flèche Wallone, Liege and Romandie as the preparation races they are. What a nice strategy, but I think he should have waited a little longer to show his hand. Unless of course he just went out on 80%. guy is a real tactician after all!

What a legend. Could maybe sneak a stage victory on Sicily?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar Koronin

05 May 2018 06:54

And suddenly, everyone is very optimistic about Betancur. I don't know if a 12 minute effort is representative for the rest of the Giro, but still, very good ITT! :)

The only thing that is worrisome is the fact he was really bad in the Ardennes and Romandie. I don't think he was hiding, Valverde really needed everyone in Flèche and Liège and Betancur was nowhere to be seen. Valverde is his idol, so he really does everything he can for him. Maybe it was just fatigue, because he was non-stop racing for two months or so.

However, I would like to point out that Betancur is really back on track since more than a year. He had a decent Tour, his form was really great in the Vuelta (I have a feeling a lot of people forgot about his crash) and this year he started his season quite late, but that was because of his injury, no weight issues!

If he's really at his best now (like Giro 2013, which I still doubt to be honest), a stage win and top 10 in GC should be the target. The Sicilia-stages, Montevergine, ... are fantastic opportunities for him, since he's one of the best puncheurs in the field here.
User avatar Popchu

Re:

05 May 2018 06:57

Popchu wrote:And suddenly, everyone is very optimistic about Betancur. I don't know if a 12 minute effort is representative for the rest of the Giro, but still, very good ITT! :)

The only thing that is worrisome is the fact he was really bad in the Ardennes and Romandie. I don't think he was hiding, Valverde really needed everyone in Flèche and Liège and Betancur was nowhere to be seen. Valverde is his idol, so he really does everything he can for him. Maybe it was just fatigue, because he was non-stop racing for two months or so.

However, I would like to point out that Betancur is really back on track since more than a year. He had a decent Tour, his form was really great in the Vuelta (I have a feeling a lot of people forgot about his crash) and this year he started his season quite late, but that was because of his injury, no weight issues!

If he's really at his best now (like Giro 2013, which I still doubt to be honest), a stage win and top 10 in GC should be the target. The Sicilia-stages, Montevergine, ... are fantastic opportunities for him, since he's one of the best puncheurs in the field here.

Preach!

He certainly looks great on the pictures, but his recent performances are still worrisome. But I believe! Also, quite funny to think about he has been selected for the last 3 GT's. Not my some scrub team like Di Data, but for Movistar.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

05 May 2018 08:44

He looks good, but is he still as muscular as when he was best?

Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

09 May 2018 01:29

Slowly but surely Betancur is positioning himself to win this Giro! :)
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 May 2018 13:20

Very hard to rate his performance yesterday since positioning was very import on a finish like that and he was nowhere to be seen the last kilometers.

Sending a team with 8 climbers isn't the brightest idea if Betancur and/or Carapaz go for the GC.
User avatar Popchu

Re:

09 May 2018 18:36

Popchu wrote:Very hard to rate his performance yesterday since positioning was very import on a finish like that and he was nowhere to be seen the last kilometers.

Sending a team with 8 climbers isn't the brightest idea if Betancur and/or Carapaz go for the GC.

Movistar has stated that the Giro is a learning experience and there are no protected riders for this race. So what exactly they are doing I have no clue.
User avatar Koronin

09 May 2018 20:14

First big test tomorrow for him and Lil Richie, I think the latter will do the best, but thats mainly because I think he will be one of the big surprises in the Giro. But lets see how far Carlos has come! A top 15 would be nice.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 May 2018 07:21

An interesting pick as his favourite sportsman:
Last edited by Armchair cyclist on 10 May 2018 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

10 May 2018 08:36

Screw political correctness.

I like it
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 May 2018 08:43

Epic trolling by Betancur.

I mean, 60kg?!
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

Re:

10 May 2018 08:46

DFA123 wrote:Epic trolling by Betancur.

I mean, 60kg?!

I think he was mistakenly led to believe he was supposed to write down the weight of his legs...
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 May 2018 22:38

Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started
User avatar slosada

Re:

11 May 2018 01:12

slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started

I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

11 May 2018 10:11

Koronin wrote:
slosada wrote:Why was he going back to the team car by himself? And that late in the stage. I don't know if such extra effort cost him following a wheel or if he ended bad positioned when the attacks started

I don't know if it's changed or not, but from what Movistar said before the Giro started it sounded like they were going into the race without a protected rider and without a race leader. So this may have been why.

Movistar seem to be all about the Tour this year. The positions have reversed. Froome will have the Giro in his legs this time not Quintana. Quintana gets an opportunity especially if he can negotiate the cobbles in good shape. And if Froome does not start the race even better for Quintana.
movingtarget
Veteran

11 May 2018 10:14

And its looks rather so far. If they can place a rider in top-10 and win a stage, its definitely a success. Betancur should be improving, took a couple of stages last year in the Vuelta as well. Montevergine could already be a good opportunity, Gran Sasso is too hard I think.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing