Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 May 2018 22:40

Gotta go w Baltimere on this.. you have to be able to tell a joke or two.. right? You know jokes about people's bodies, making negative inferences about their sexuality, about their penis, about their inferior income, education,race, religion.. and now health.. I mean really when did dying of cancer and causing your friends and family enormous pain become a serious subject?.. really they should tickle McCain and his wife and tell them to not take cancer so seriously..
Yes workplaces would be lonely without humor..
there is almost zero intentionally funny done by Trump and team..
Okay the hairstyle has to be done as an out right joke
Apologises are a start, staff corrections.. again a start.. but after that racist BS spewed by Kelly the heavy vetting Trump promised needs to be done and by some 3rd party outside the White House..
Unchained

Re:

11 May 2018 23:29

GraftPunk wrote:Just curious as to people's thoughts on the "He's dying anyway" fiasco.

I'm a big fan of McCain, a true Republican, I may disagree with him on issues, but I have the utmost respect for his service to the nation, even on his death bed, the Man is a public servant. Respect. Hang in there John. And thank you.

And to respond to your question: disgusting.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

12 May 2018 00:10

Tonton wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:Just curious as to people's thoughts on the "He's dying anyway" fiasco.

I'm a big fan of McCain, a true Republican, I may disagree with him on issues, but I have the utmost respect for his service to the nation, even on his death bed, the Man is a public servant. Respect. Hang in there John. And thank you.

And to respond to your question: disgusting.

Eh, no.

Mostly because there is no such thing. He certainly wasn’t a Reagan Republican. Kind of a W Bush Republican... but that’s not really a Republican. Nope, a Teddy Roosevelt Republican.

Interventionist (war monger), center left on fiscal/social issues. Not sure where on the “true Republican” scale that places him.

I hope his heart was in the right place.
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

12 May 2018 00:56

I can point at some of his weaknesses and poor decisions too. I said that I disliked some of his stances, but he's more of an American that you or I will ever be.

I thought that you had some integrity, that you would appreciate such a public servant, in spite of all the rubbish that you post. I thought that you were not so bad. What happened to you?
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

12 May 2018 02:19

McCain is extraordinary. You might not think he's a great guy or think him a brilliant political mind but..he has honor. He has served all of us with honor in all his service to the United States.
The guy with the the temp bone spurs is not honorable..he doesn't act or speak with honor towards vetrans. He is not considerate and mindful on vetrans issues. It strikes me as a military emergency to sort out the VA.. today not later. It strikes me as a personal emergency for Trump to revisit his comments on McCain and his service.
He should beg for national forgiveness for the flip comments made about McCain's capture and imprisonment.
McCain is a distinguished citizen and has given both in and out of uniform to better the country.
Unchained

12 May 2018 03:35

Tonton wrote:I can point at some of his weaknesses and poor decisions too. I said that I disliked some of his stances, but he's more of an American that you or I will ever be.

I thought that you had some integrity, that you would appreciate such a public servant, in spite of all the rubbish that you post. I thought that you were not so bad. What happened to you?

So for the first time I’ve reported a post. This one. Trolling/baiting/disgraceful/despicable. From a mod no less.

What’s happened to me? PM me and I’ll Tell you what I think of you and this post.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

Re:

12 May 2018 03:37

Unchained wrote:McCain is extraordinary. You might not think he's a great guy or think him a brilliant political mind but..he has honor. He has served all of us with honor in all his service to the United States.
The guy with the the temp bone spurs is not honorable..he doesn't act or speak with honor towards vetrans. He is not considerate and mindful on vetrans issues. It strikes me as a military emergency to sort out the VA.. today not later. It strikes me as a personal emergency for Trump to revisit his comments on McCain and his service.
He should beg for national forgiveness for the flip comments made about McCain's capture and imprisonment.
McCain is a distinguished citizen and has given both in and out of uniform to better the country.

You realize McCain never met a war he didn’t approve of, right?

Wtf happened to the left? Y’all are pro-war now? Up really is down.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 May 2018 04:07

Scott.. McCain served... basically his entire life.. served the United States..does he have a long history seeing war as a solution? yes. Do I think McCain's body of work is my cup of tea? No.. do he do his best? Yes. Is he worthy of my respect? Yes. Does he deserve my benefit of the doubt ? Yes..
Does he deserve to be disrespected by the White House? Absolutely..vcking not!does some little tw-t deserve to lob a bomb at McCain? No

None of this is right or left.. not dem or Republican.. simple right and wrong.. watching Sarah Sanders defend the WH conduct...! It's at least as bad as the petty, piss poor comment itself..
Unchained

Re:

12 May 2018 04:10

Unchained wrote:Scott.. McCain served... basically his entire life.. served the United States..does he have a long history seeing war as a solution? yes. Do I think McCain's body of work is my cup of tea? No.. do he do his best? Yes. Is he worthy of my respect? Yes. Does he deserve my benefit of the doubt ? Yes..
Does he deserve to be disrespected by the White House? Absolutely..vcking not!does some little tw-t deserve to lob a bomb at McCain? No

None of this is right or left.. not dem or Republican.. simple right and wrong.. watching Sarah Sanders defend the WH conduct...! It's at least as bad as the petty, piss poor comment itself..

Hmmmm. No. He served. He suffered. He has my respect for that.

His political life was a disaster. He doesn’t have my respect for that. No apologies.

Edit; and I voted for him over Obama. Take that for what it’s worth. He would have been a terrible President.
Last edited by Scott SoCal on 12 May 2018 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 May 2018 04:20

Nice to see the US State Dept. giving credit where it's due -
We are grateful for the support of the Government of Sweden, our protecting power in Pyongyang, which has tirelessly advocated for U.S. citizens in need in the DPRK. We send our special thanks to the Swedish Ambassador to the DPRK, Ambassador Wendel, and his team for their tireless efforts on behalf of our citizens.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

12 May 2018 04:32

We are in a time where everyone just speaks without thinking, and it gets blasted all over the web. It not only accepted, its encouraged really. 10, 15, 20 years ago Ms. Massengill might have thought that, but would have never said it out loud. But today she is known the world over for having no class. She doesn't care what she is known for, she only cares that she is known.
jmdirt

12 May 2018 09:11

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44087735
The US spent $1,443 per capita on pharmaceutical costs in 2016, compared to a range of $466 to $939 in 10 other high income countries, including the UK, Australia, Canada and Japan, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The report said those costs were one of the primary drivers of overall US health spending, which was nearly twice as high as in the other countries.

President Donald Trump seized on the issue during his 2016 election campaign.

At the time, he said the government should negotiate drug prices for government health programmes, such as Medicare. He also voiced support for allowing people to buy medicines from countries where they cost less, such as Canada.

Neither of those proposals was mentioned in Friday's speech.

Shares of health care companies jumped after the president's speech.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

12 May 2018 10:13

Scott SoCal wrote:
Unchained wrote:Scott.. McCain served... basically his entire life.. served the United States..does he have a long history seeing war as a solution? yes. Do I think McCain's body of work is my cup of tea? No.. do he do his best? Yes. Is he worthy of my respect? Yes. Does he deserve my benefit of the doubt ? Yes..

His political life was a disaster. He doesn’t have my respect for that. No apologies.

Edit; and I voted for him over Obama. Take that for what it’s worth. He would have been a terrible President.
i dont take the mccain contraversy as dem vs rep or left vs right. i basically agree with you, while a man on his personal level can be respected by his countrymen for his service, it should not be separated from his political record. to me, what stands out is the unrepentant militarist. having served or being candid about once views, while a sign of some integrity, cant detract from the essence and the eventual role of the man in his countries serious problems...a line of self-serving questions to oneself conveniently self-answered is ignoring the fact that MANY good americans served in the armed forces, some went on into politics on either side, but few if any to my knowledge, had become the advocates of militarism to the extentjohn mccain did.

i have no personal dislike of him but for the militarism he personifies. his health is a different issue and i wish his family his company for as long as they may enjoy.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

12 May 2018 12:57

On Thursday morning, a White House aide named Kelly Sadler joked about Sen. John McCain's opposition to CIA nominee Gina Haspel by noting that "he's dying anyway."

It was the latest in a series of increasingly nasty comments about McCain: Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, called it "ridiculous" that McCain wasn't planning to invite President Donald Trump to his funeral while a retired general on Fox News on Thursday referred to a debunked conspiracy theory that McCain had informed on his comrades while a prisoner of war during Vietnam.

Why is anybody surprised that the trump crew are a bunch of arse-wholes? trump is an arse-whole, and the tone, regardless of what sarah lieagain-abee spews about, is set from the WH, by this arse-whole-in-chief.

The aid should have been fired and trump should have gone on record saying this crap is unacceptable BUT..one came from his propganda arm, faux news, so he would never contradict them..from a retired USAF BG, no less, this crap of how McCain acted while a POW..anther ares-whole..imagine that.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

12 May 2018 13:04

'Disaster'..you forgot 'disgraceful', and other trumpian 'phrases' that paint an entire group, career, peoples, person etc, with that trumpian broad brush..

'Terrible president' How the farge do you know? Same for Hillary, she would have done this and that and blah, blah, blah..crystal ball time.....and yet you give this complete idiot trump a pass, once again..

Real disaster below..many others

The Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 (DTA) is an Act of the United States Congress that was passed on 30 December 2005. Offered as an amendment to a supplemental defense spending bill, it contains provisions relating to treatment of persons in custody of the Department of Defense, and administration of detainees held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including:[1]

Unless you think torture is a GOOD idea like your boy trump..I've been waterboarded at SERE school..it IS torture, regardless of what this moron of a president says.
Veteran

12 May 2018 13:07

python wrote:
Scott SoCal wrote:

i dont take the mccain contraversy as dem vs rep or left vs right. i basically agree with you, while a man on his personal level can be respected by his countrymen for his service, it should not be separated from his political record. to me, what stands out is the unrepentant militarist. having served or being candid about once views, while a sign of some integrity, cant detract from the essence and the eventual role of the man in his countries serious problems...a line of self-serving questions to oneself conveniently self-answered is ignoring the fact that MANY good americans served in the armed forces, some went on into politics on either side, but few if any to my knowledge, had become the advocates of militarism to the extentjohn mccain did.

i have no personal dislike of him but for the militarism he personifies. his health is a different issue and i wish his family his company for as long as they may enjoy.

So is this buttnugget called trump. The difference is that 'captain bone spurs', has no experience of how awful warfare can be. He just likes to be the tough guy, throw his weight around(considerable weight) and brag about 'his' military and 'his' generals..a fool..
Veteran

12 May 2018 13:22

'A bill of love'...farging liar once again..DACA TV moment, along with gun control TV moment..then trump says 'wait a minute, I said what?'

Liars and fools led by liars and fools.
Ryan is trying to stop this from happening. He justifies this by claiming that there’s no sense in voting on measures protecting the dreamers that Trump would veto. As Ryan put it: “We actually would like to solve this problem, and that is why I think it’s important for us to come up with a solution that the president can support.”

trump's stupid wall, again..maybe he needs to see the numbers..overstayed visas, neg negitive of those who leave vs those who come here..but it's all about his deplorable base..those nasty brown people, a YUGE threat..

iran decision political(Israeli-Iran war a result), wall political(where's the $ gonna come from, Mexico?..what happened to that scott? oh yes, deficits don't matter)

Scott, are bump stocks banned? How about 21 year old minimum to buy any weapon?
https://www.bumpfiresystems.com/product/ar-15/
Veteran

12 May 2018 13:52

Bustedknuckle wrote:

'Disaster'..you forgot 'disgraceful', and other trumpian 'phrases' that paint an entire group, career, peoples, person etc, with that trumpian broad brush..

'Terrible president' How the farge do you know? Same for Hillary, she would have done this and that and blah, blah, blah..crystal ball time.....and yet you give this complete idiot trump a pass, once again..

Real disaster below..many others

The Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 (DTA) is an Act of the United States Congress that was passed on 30 December 2005. Offered as an amendment to a supplemental defense spending bill, it contains provisions relating to treatment of persons in custody of the Department of Defense, and administration of detainees held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, including:[1]

Unless you think torture is a GOOD idea like your boy trump..I've been waterboarded at SERE school..it IS torture, regardless of what this moron of a president says.

Lessee, what was it, a grand total of three cretin jihadis were waterboarded? One was the dude that loped off Dan Pearl’s head and filmed it. You seen that video? That is a bit more impactful than waterboarding.

At any rate, we don’t waterboard anybody anymore. Three was enough.

WRT to your prattle, I limited my comments to McCain. I also make a distinction between his political service and him as a person. Maybe you missed that.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 May 2018 14:04

Bustedknuckle wrote:'A bill of love'...farging liar once again..DACA TV moment, along with gun control TV moment..then trump says 'wait a minute, I said what?'

Liars and fools led by liars and fools.
Ryan is trying to stop this from happening. He justifies this by claiming that there’s no sense in voting on measures protecting the dreamers that Trump would veto. As Ryan put it: “We actually would like to solve this problem, and that is why I think it’s important for us to come up with a solution that the president can support.”

trump's stupid wall, again..maybe he needs to see the numbers..overstayed visas, neg negitive of those who leave vs those who come here..but it's all about his deplorable base..those nasty brown people, a YUGE threat..

iran decision political(Israeli-Iran war a result), wall political(where's the $ gonna come from, Mexico?..what happened to that scott? oh yes, deficits don't matter)

Scott, are bump stocks banned? How about 21 year old minimum to buy any weapon?
https://www.bumpfiresystems.com/product/ar-15/

So this is where you are taken over by ideology. If you wanted to have a big impact on killing by gun going after bumpstocks isn’t going to get it done. Same with scary looking guns. Problem is you won’t go after what you know is the biggest problem that would give you the biggest reductions. It’s as if you don’t really don’t care about gun violence and the communities that are hit hardest.

You don’t care about our sovereignty. Ok, I get it. When the wall is completed Mexico will have paid for it 50 times over... unless of course your open society friends win the day. We’ll see.
User avatar Scott SoCal
Veteran

12 May 2018 14:07

Lessee, what was it, a grand total of three cretin jihadis were waterboarded? One was the dude that loped off Dan Pearl’s head and filmed it. You seen that video? That is a bit more impactful than waterboarding.

At any rate, we don’t waterboard anybody anymore. Three was enough.

WRT to your prattle, I limited my comments to McCain. I also make a distinction between his political service and him as a person. Maybe you missed that.

Haven't thrown this card around in a while but it's supposed to be interrogation for information, not punishment or revenge. Torture a POW and when one of OURS gets captured, don't be horrified if he gets tortured.

Didn't miss anything you bloviated..
'disaster'..trumpian to it's core.

Here's another 'disaster'
S.2184 - Veterans Community Care and Access Act of 2017

another..opposed by the other weak, spinless trumpian, McConnell
The Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 (BCRA, McCain–Feingold Act

Why, here's another one
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/372407-mccain-coons-immigration-bill-sparks-trump-backlash
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General