Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

15 May 2018 19:36

Stella0596 wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:Next high placed GC victim tomorrow. Who will it be?

Has nobody noticed we also lost Meintjes today? He could've been very dangerous.. :lol:
Maybe Dumoulin will suffer a bit from his crash but I expect nothing.

When you're sucking wheels, you're bound to pick the wrong wheel to suck once in a while.
User avatar fantomas

Re:

15 May 2018 20:14

Red Rick wrote:I really really like this stage design.

I wonder who would want to chase except for Mitchelton. LottoNL for Battaglin?

LottoBE for Wellens?
rghysens

15 May 2018 20:23

PremierAndrew wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:A good chance for Yates to grab another few seconds. Every second could be vital. 3 seconds per km in a TT means he already has 13km of the TT covered.
Needs another minute at least

He lost just over 2s per km to Dumo in the first ITT, expect no more than 2.5s in the second TT unless he's started fading

Disagree. First TT was perfect for Yates (also for Dumoulin, but that's another thing). This one is going to suit him a whole lot less
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:32

I’m picking safe with Wellens...I honestly think he can take it though.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:33

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:A good chance for Yates to grab another few seconds. Every second could be vital. 3 seconds per km in a TT means he already has 13km of the TT covered.

He lost just over 2s per km to Dumo in the first ITT, expect no more than 2.5s in the second TT unless he's started fading

Disagree. First TT was perfect for Yates (also for Dumoulin, but that's another thing). This one is going to suit him a whole lot less

Agreed, but on the flip side, there's reason to believe the 2 weeks leading up to this TT will be more painful for Tom than Simon. But I think 3 seconds per km feels about right. Given the bonus seconds available, TD needs Yates to fade as he looks likely to get the required gap with a bit of margin for error on current form.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:36

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:

Yates himself said 4, no reason to doubt him. That's 2'17".
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran

15 May 2018 20:54

Rollthedice wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:

Yates himself said 4, no reason to doubt him. That's 2'17".

Brother Adam lost 4s/km to Dumoulin in the two ITTs last year. Other climbers such as Quintana or Pinot lost 3.5s/km in the first one and 3s/km in the last one.
ice&fire

Re:

15 May 2018 20:58

Jspear wrote:I’m picking safe with Wellens...I honestly think he can take it though.

He said he was not feeling well Sunday after his crash the day before. Don't know if he's fully recovered.
User avatar Jagartrott

15 May 2018 21:06

I'd wait until after the Zoncolan before making TT projections.

Can Yates punch away on the final wall? Probably yes. But I doubt that the time he can gain will matter in the end.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

15 May 2018 21:14

Should be a fun stage. There is a some probability of rain, but not much. I'm backing Battaglin for this one!
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

15 May 2018 21:18

Libertine Seguros wrote:
Stella0596 wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:Next high placed GC victim tomorrow. Who will it be?

Has nobody noticed we also lost Meintjes today? He could've been very dangerous.. :lol:
Maybe Dumoulin will suffer a bit from his crash but I expect nothing.

This could be the best thing possible for him. He might have to learn to do something other than fall back as slowly as possible if he wants to salvage anything from his race, rather than just use a middling GC position as something to defend, and if so, in the long run he may be far better for it.

A diesel climber from South Africa sounds very appealing so I rooted for Meintjens. I actually rooted for him up until the Tour in 2017 when I then realised what type of rider he actually was and that I couldn't associate myself with such a bland rider!

Well, here's to hope you are right, altho Im never gonna root for the kid.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

15 May 2018 21:33

What do you guys think about this triple or tomorrow? Not really locks or anything but the odds are pretty good so why not try for few cents

Bennett over Pozzovivo - 2.8
Carapaz over Dumo - 2.4
Yates over Pinot - 1.45

@9.74

Formolo ftw tomorrow! He has nothing to lose and I could see him trying a solo attack on Costa del Borgo. Bilbao will also be interesting to me. If it were any other GT I would expect a sprint out of 20-30 men group with Ulissi/Wellens/Battaglin/Conti/Yates emerging victorious, but this is Giro, this is going to be chaotic AF especially after what we saw today
Gerrard Slipped haha

15 May 2018 21:37

Yates over Pinot seems like free EV to me.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

15 May 2018 21:51

Filottrano, hometown of Michele Scarponi - climb has sprint bonus at top (!) - Astana to go for it?

Yates is fav, but it's a real roller coaster finish. Whoever saved some energy from today has a chance in a breakaway.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

15 May 2018 21:52

Red Rick wrote:Yates over Pinot seems like free EV to me.

...page 2 of the thread. I shall remember it tomorrow evening... :p
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

15 May 2018 22:25

I wonder how much MS want to rest after today and if other teams will attack to try and take advantage to isolate Yates.

Bentacur to attack and win with noone responding because they think it is a dream.
User avatar SHAD0W93

15 May 2018 22:35

Surely this is the day for the breakaway.

Otherwise, a puncheur's stage.
DanielSong39

Re:

15 May 2018 22:36

DanielSong39 wrote:Surely this is the day for the breakaway.

Otherwise, a puncheur's stage.

A puncheur to win from the breakaway. :cool:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

15 May 2018 22:39

Sad reminder that we're half way through the Giro. Only 50.5 weeks until next Giro... :cry:
"Winning is about heart, not just legs. It's got to be in the right place."
User avatar Sciocco

15 May 2018 22:54

Jagartrott wrote:
Jspear wrote:I’m picking safe with Wellens...I honestly think he can take it though.

He said he was not feeling well Sunday after his crash the day before. Don't know if he's fully recovered.

Ah didn’t know he had even crashed.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing