Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 15:50

The Chicken wrote:
slosada wrote:The fanboyism from Waterloo, the chicken and the other new user account, is reaching record levels. Hating a teammate that is very likeable because it's perceived as a menace for their own agenda, hating a GT rival for being able to keep the distance short...

At this rate, you guys will succeed at making us cheer against Yates

I don't hate anyone. My point about Chaves costing Yates time on Etna is right though. And my point about Dumoulin is also right. How can you root for the guy who never animates the race? Jeez, you probably hated watching Pantani. :confused:

you could argue he cost him under 10 secsonds but i would say Chavez helped him gain time. He didn't have to take a single pull on the way up, which gives hiim a rather bigadvantage when it is that windy. And Doumalin animated last years eneco, and why should he. Why attack when you can play on your strenghs. Thats the same as asking why root for a guy who can't timetrial?
Frankschleck

16 May 2018 15:51

All we know so far is that Yates is the best Purito. All time gains/wins have been 2km punches. 2km punch from a 20 man group on Etna. less than 200m punch from a 10 man group on Sasso Tetto.
2km punch on a tiny hill today.

We've not have any indication how he, or Dumoulin, or Pinot, or Pozzo, do for that matter on a multi mountain stage where the field HAS to split apart sooner. So until then, I'd say it's still anyone's game. Yates is the best puncheur, that's what we know, so don't wait until the final 2km. Thats's clear.

However, I remember Yates being super strong in Paris Nice, yet cracking when put under pressure early in the final stage. He lost in the end to Soler but could've lost even podium if he hadn't returned in with the help of the Izagirre guys falling and dropping to his group.
There's still a lot of this Giro to go. Even if Yates is good on Zoncolan I wouldn't call it a day. because of that reason. I remember the cracking Yates, and that guy is just a human.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

16 May 2018 15:57

I'm choosing to ignore the Chaves/Yates/Etna comments as they are almost making me want to cheer against Yates. Hopefully Chaves is back to normal for the tough weekend ahead, as it would be a great help for Yates. I like Dumoulin as well and want him to keep it close enough that he might take the Pink jersey after the TT and keep things interesting. While Dumoulin doesn't have an aggressive attacking style, he isn't just a wheel-sucker - he just has to ride his pace and often ends up doing that alone after his rivals attack. He endures a special kind of pain as he diesels his way back in after getting dropped by a hard acceleration. The two different styles actually make for really interesting racing.
yetiyeti

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

16 May 2018 16:03

The one thing I'm really afraid of is that Yates will dominate the Zoncolan, be in pink after the ITT and the final week becomes a borefest. Let's not forget Yates has an incredible team with Haig, Kreuziger, Nieve and now also Chaves as his mountain domestiques. That's sky at the tour de france level. The problem is that as it stands Dumoulin is his main rival, but as soon as we get to the point where Dumoulin actually has to gain time in the mountains this will be very very hard to win. Behind Dumoulin we have Pozzovivo and Pinot who both don't have superb teams and especially in the case of Pozzo I think he'll be satisfied with a podium. Pinot might not be, but then again I don't think Pinot has ever shown to be a super aggressive rider. The big hopes for being super aggressive would be Lopez and Aru, but both are so far down that I don't think they'll ever get anywhere close to pink again.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

16 May 2018 16:05

Like I said, I'm not to sure about Yates mountain superiority if he goes from further out. He's Puritoing this Giro.

Take today, he had 4/5 seconds at 1km but finished 2s ahead. Give it a KM longer....
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 16:08

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Like I said, I'm not to sure about Yates mountain superiority if he goes from further out. He's Puritoing this Giro.

Take today, he had 4/5 seconds at 1km but finished 2s ahead. Give it a KM longer....

True but it's one thing if Yates isn't able to gain time by attacking early and another one if someone has to actually drop him. And so far nobody has looked to be anywhere close to dropping him. A part of me also still believes he'll crack at some point but that part is getting smaller.
Anyway, what I wrote in my previous post isn't what I expect to happen but what I fear.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

16 May 2018 16:12

We'll see. Zoncolan will be crucial but after today Dumoulin got my hopes up.

As for the rest I'm pretty negative. Froome is nowhere. Aru doesn't have it. Pinot and Pozzovivo are there and thereabouts but not even close to having any kind of pressure on Yates and they don't have a TT to back it up.

Dumoulin is the only hope of a battle right now. If he falters on Zoncolan, Yates has won.
Veteran

16 May 2018 16:12

We'll know a lot more Saturday, I think that Pozzovivo, Pinot and Yates are probably are a lot closer than it looks.

Dumo looked quite good till now, pretty much excellent form like last year.
Clearly this Giro is a lot more favorable to climbers, so it won't be easy to limit the losses.
User avatar Climbing

16 May 2018 16:14

It's an interesting contrast of styles and it is good for the race that Dumoulin appears to have a genuine rival for pink. Yates is showing form that he never displayed before on a consistent basis. Can he sustain it for 3 weeks over some of the longer mountain passes that lie ahead. It is certainly far more interesting than watching a Sky train bore us to tears every single July. Pinot is not completely out of it yet either but he needs Dumoulin in particular to have a bad day and lose a lot of time.
ontheroad

16 May 2018 16:17

If you ask me , after today I think that Dumoulin has this almost in the bag. Yates won't be able to gain more than 5s on climbs but the minutes will fly in the TT
EroicaStradeBianche

16 May 2018 16:18

Pozzovivo, Pinot and the others will ride for the podium, they're not going to do a Contador-mad-attack somewhere
EroicaStradeBianche

16 May 2018 16:19

Dumoulin is going to win this Giro and everyone but the Dutch are going to be disappointed :( He is boring to watch and even boring to listen to. Next year the Giro organisers will have ZERO TT KM in their race in the hope of dissuading Dumoulin from returning and yet again boring the viewers half to death. :(
The Chicken

16 May 2018 16:19

The comparison with Menchov-Di Luca duel from 2009 that was brought up earlier in the thread was quite good, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if we see the reenactment of Basso vs Evans on the Zoncolan. With Dumoulin in the role of Basso and Yates as Evans.

Whichever way things end up to be, current situation is thouroughly intriguing and captivating.
User avatar Põhja Konn

Re:

16 May 2018 16:22

The Chicken wrote:Dumoulin is going to win this Giro and everyone but the Dutch are going to be disappointed :( He is boring to watch and even boring to listen to. Next year the Giro organisers will have ZERO TT KM in their race in the hope of dissuading Dumoulin from returning and yet again boring the viewers half to death. :(

I think the only one who's whining at the moment is you.
Stella0596

Re:

16 May 2018 16:22

The Chicken wrote:Dumoulin is going to win this Giro and everyone but the Dutch are going to be disappointed :( He is boring to watch and even boring to listen to. Next year the Giro organisers will have ZERO TT KM in their race in the hope of dissuading Dumoulin from returning and yet again boring the viewers half to death. :(

Maybe you should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJaf5wchX-s&t=

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDlsMPduHsM&t=
Veteran

16 May 2018 16:30

If he rides like that in the coming days I take it all back. I know my opinion of him matters to him, heh. :o
The Chicken

Re:

16 May 2018 16:31

Dumoulin doesn't even need to attack. It's a complex ecosystem and he's there to make sure the actual climbers have to do something to win instead of being gifted the race.
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:All we know so far is that Yates is the best Purito. All time gains/wins have been 2km punches. 2km punch from a 20 man group on Etna. less than 200m punch from a 10 man group on Sasso Tetto.
2km punch on a tiny hill today.

We've not have any indication how he, or Dumoulin, or Pinot, or Pozzo, do for that matter on a multi mountain stage where the field HAS to split apart sooner. So until then, I'd say it's still anyone's game. Yates is the best puncheur, that's what we know, so don't wait until the final 2km. Thats's clear.

However, I remember Yates being super strong in Paris Nice, yet cracking when put under pressure early in the final stage. He lost in the end to Soler but could've lost even podium if he hadn't returned in with the help of the Izagirre guys falling and dropping to his group.
There's still a lot of this Giro to go. Even if Yates is good on Zoncolan I wouldn't call it a day. because of that reason. I remember the cracking Yates, and that guy is just a human.

This is pretty much my take on this too.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

16 May 2018 16:32

Yeah too bad boring riders like Dumoulin exist. If he wasn't there this giro would be a nail biter right now.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 16:34

armchairclimber wrote:Froome is a long way from being my favourite rider but I am impressed that he seems determined to continue. He looks skinnier than at the start.

Tbh 80% GC riders
Complete the GT they suck in unless it's a terrible
Injury
Scarponi

16 May 2018 16:36

Just watched the final 10 k. I found the last 5 quite entertaining. I wished I had watched it live. You really couldn’t tell if Yates was gonna make it till the very end. Kudos.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing