Register

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 16:49

ontheroad wrote:
yaco wrote:It's important that MS are patient on Zoncolan and ride a steady tempo - It's a tough climb and riders eventually fall off the peleton - Put pressure on too early and you may blow up - My view is if Yates keeps the same form he has a podium wrapped up, drops a little and its top 5, falls off a cliff and its top 10.

It depends on what he wants. Does he want to try and actually win the race or is he satisfied with a podium. Given his strength I would suggest he has to go for the win and put Dumoulin under pressure before the TT. To do this he needs to take at least another 1:00-1:30. If MS ride tempo they will simply be playing into Dumoulin's hands. Dumoulin will just ride to limit losses knowing he will have enough in hand to take pink in the TT.

You are underestimating the difficulty of Zoncolan - There will be riders in the top 10 who will ship 2+ minutes.
yaco

16 May 2018 16:53

Dumoulin is such a boring rider he can win the Eneco Tour which is your combination of cobbles and Ardennes racing - Doubt any of the other GC riders could win the Eneco Tour.
yaco

Re:

16 May 2018 16:54

Gerrard Slipped haha wrote:What do you guys think about this triple or tomorrow? Not really locks or anything but the odds are pretty good so why not try for few cents

Bennett over Pozzovivo - 2.8
Carapaz over Dumo - 2.4
Yates over Pinot - 1.45

@9.74

Formolo ftw tomorrow! He has nothing to lose and I could see him trying a solo attack on Costa del Borgo. Bilbao will also be interesting to me. If it were any other GT I would expect a sprint out of 20-30 men group with Ulissi/Wellens/Battaglin/Conti/Yates emerging victorious, but this is Giro, this is going to be chaotic AF especially after what we saw today

Thought it was a good bet, but only one got up
Scarponi

Re:

16 May 2018 16:59

yaco wrote:Dumoulin is such a boring rider he can win the Eneco Tour which is your combination of cobbles and Ardennes racing - Doubt any of the other GC riders could win the Eneco Tour.

Eneco as an example? LOL are u srs? Nobody cares about that race. He would've been gifted everything in his home race anyway (partly coz it's so insignificant).
The Chicken

16 May 2018 17:00

So this thing is truly between 3 riders.

@DT, we know that Simon Yates is a punchy rider, but in this Giro he has been everything. He is clearly 1 or 2 notches up. So it would be no good to make any comparisons historically.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:00

The Chicken wrote:
yaco wrote:Dumoulin is such a boring rider he can win the Eneco Tour which is your combination of cobbles and Ardennes racing - Doubt any of the other GC riders could win the Eneco Tour.

Eneco as an example? LOL are u srs? Nobody cares about that race. He would've been gifted everything in his home race anyway (partly coz it's so insignificant).

This is just not true. It's an awesome race and even on the World Tour (which matters to some).
User avatar tobydawq

16 May 2018 17:02

Compared to the Giro it's borderline meaningless.
The Chicken

Re:

16 May 2018 17:04

The Chicken wrote:Compared to the Giro it's borderline meaningless.

Before this giro Dumoulin started a gt going for the gc exactly once and back then he was basically leading from the beginning of the 2nd week onwards, so ofc he didn't attack. So where the f*ck are we supposed to take examples from to convince you?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:06

Gigs_98 wrote:
The Chicken wrote:Compared to the Giro it's borderline meaningless.

Before this giro Dumoulin started a gt going for the gc exactly once and back then he was basically leading from the beginning of the 2nd week onwards, so ofc he didn't attack. So where the f*ck are we supposed to take examples from to convince you?

If he wants I can pull them out of my butt, but they're gonna be sh*t examples though.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

16 May 2018 17:09

Gigs_98 wrote:Yeah too bad boring riders like Dumoulin exist. If he wasn't there this giro would be a nail biter right now.

Not really, would they be attacking if they didn't need to gain so much time on Dumoulin ahead of the ITT, or just waiting until Zoncolan to decide it.
craigmalone

16 May 2018 17:12

I'm quite sure that's a case of a malfunctioning sarcasm-detector, but on the other hand I really wish it's a case of playing along.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:12

armchairclimber wrote:Froome is a long way from being my favourite rider but I am impressed that he seems determined to continue. He looks skinnier than at the start.

Well, allegedly he has 1 million reasons to continue on and maybe is contractually obligated to do so provided he is physically and medically able. But I'm just speculating of course.
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:23

What a nice and explosive finale. Yates went from the bottom in the maglia rosa - chapeau! Great stuff.

Lopez and Froome sucked as expected. Before this stage, I actually predicted Lopez to lose 30 seconds. :D Lets see them in the real mountains, I suspect the GC is up for some real shake up on Zonc.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:27

The Chicken wrote:Dumoulin is going to win this Giro and everyone but the Dutch are going to be disappointed :( He is boring to watch and even boring to listen to. Next year the Giro organisers will have ZERO TT KM in their race in the hope of dissuading Dumoulin from returning and yet again boring the viewers half to death. :(

Wow. The Chicken has inside tracks on teams' stage-by-stage tactical strategies AND on how all the fans will react and feel should Dumoulin win the Giro. That is some crystal ball you have there. :rolleyes:
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:29

yaco wrote:It's important that MS are patient on Zoncolan and ride a steady tempo - It's a tough climb and riders eventually fall off the peleton - Put pressure on too early and you may blow up - My view is if Yates keeps the same form he has a podium wrapped up, drops a little and its top 5, falls off a cliff and its top 10.

Think you could shift those ranges a little. Stays at the same level and he has at least a 50% chance of winning - dropping a bit and he should still get a podium given the depth in this race. Below top 5 would indeed require a very impressive collapse.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:33

Great stage, I really enjoyed it. Positive riding from Yates, he knows that these stages are great areas to gain time so he's giving them his all and it paid off today. However, Dumoulin also did really well. We know he's decent but less good than Yates on this terrain so he's probably fairly happy with losing 6 seconds, especially as his performance was good too, and he recovered a couple of seconds in the last 1000m. I feel bad for Formolo, he's clearly in great shape.

As others have said, it remains to be seen how good yates is on longer and harder climbs where he can't use his (very good) 2km launch. He could aslo be good there, but he may not. We'll see on the weekend
Brullnux
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:45

The Chicken wrote:

It matters to true cyclingfans as it's a race that demands a unique set of abilities from riders.

The fact that there are no GT riders contesting is because they cant win it, but Dumoulin can.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 17:46

LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.
Exciting last few km although I would have liked to see Luisle win.

You sure? Im not writing any of Lopex, Aru and Froome of just yet. I first wanna see them on a real mountain stage
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:51

Valv.Piti wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:Impressed by DUMO. Yates looks extremely strong still. Pinot a little disappointing today but not a disaster. We can finally write off Froome.
Exciting last few km although I would have liked to see Luisle win.

You sure? Im not writing any of Lopex, Aru and Froome of just yet. I first wanna see them on a real mountain stage

I agree. If some riders are willing to go all in on a multi mountain stage there is still a lot possibble.

It wouldnt surprise me if Froome attacks early once we reach the real mountains. Wether he will do good is uncertain, but something tells me he will try hard.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

16 May 2018 17:51

On Etna Yates could've gone way earlier than 2KM but ofc we all know an off script Chaves wrecked that possibility. If Yates has even 80% of his Etna form he'd be capable again of attacking way before 2KM to go point. Trouble is Dumoulin is miraculously getting stronger. *rolls eyes*
The Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing