Register

World Championships Innsbruck 2018

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

07 Jun 2018 14:57

bambino wrote:
Asero831 wrote:Alaphilippe survived a similar climb today. I really think he has a chance.

The question is... would he have survived 70km more with 7 of those climbs in addittion?

He did manage Col du Mont Noir earlier. He will be dropped by the climbers but you have to understand that these top notched climbers will not work with each other given the final Murito is there. So a minute lead can be covered by the chasers
Asero831

Re:

07 Jun 2018 15:02

HelloDolly wrote:Italy or Colombia have the strongest team???
Really ?

Then take a gander at this

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

It's not bad but I don't see that team winning and only see a couple of true podium contenders.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 15:04

Asero831 wrote:
bambino wrote:
Asero831 wrote:Alaphilippe survived a similar climb today. I really think he has a chance.

The question is... would he have survived 70km more with 7 of those climbs in addittion?

He did manage Col du Mont Noir earlier. He will be dropped by the climbers but you have to understand that these top notched climbers will not work with each other given the final Murito is there. So a minute lead can be covered by the chasers

He managed 2 proper climbs today. He needs to manage 8 proper climbs in September. And of course the teams with proper climbers will create damage throughout the race. Italy will propably sacrifice hard core climbers such as Aru for Nibs, Colombia will do exactly the same i.e. Quintana, Bernal and Chaves might well be domestics for Uran. Puncheurs won't last to the final proper climb and will be 5+ minutes down by the last murito. If not, the leading climber teams have failed miserably and that rarely happens to all of those teams in single day race. Dauphine is a stage race raced like a stage race and is completely different world to single day WCRR.
bambino

07 Jun 2018 15:19

jaylew wrote:
Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

It's not bad but I don't see that team winning and only see a couple of true podium contenders.

Maybe but before the advent of both Yates I would have agreed ...now is a different matter
Also if Froome is still riding he will want this...especially if he can beat Nibali/Quintana
HelloDolly

07 Jun 2018 15:43

HelloDolly wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

Maybe but before the advent of both Yates I would have agreed ...now is a different matter
Also if Froome is still riding he will want this...especially if he can beat Nibali/Quintana

The biggest worry will come from Spain and he has an insane team himself.
User avatar DNP-Old

07 Jun 2018 15:48

Valverde
Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Alarcon :D
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

The best part about this team is that it's leader is clear, all for one. Whereas with the other countries; not so much. Valverde is also one of only few riders who can confidently wait for a sprint if he has to.
User avatar DNP-Old

07 Jun 2018 16:25

HelloDolly wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

The Yates are the two I see having a podium chance.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

07 Jun 2018 16:52

DNP-Old wrote:Valverde
Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

The best part about this team is that it's leader is clear, all for one. Whereas with the other countries; not so much. Valverde is also one of only few riders who can confidently wait for a sprint if he has to.

How is the italian leader not clear?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 17:18

SafeBet wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:Valverde
Landa
Luisle
Soler
Ion
Gorka
Nieve
Bilbao
Herrada
De La Cruz
Roson
Mas
Castroviejo
Fraile
Navarro
Moreno
De La Parte

How is the italian leader not clear?

Maybe you're right, but will Aru ride for Nibali if he has to?
User avatar DNP-Old

07 Jun 2018 17:20

Will Aru even be there or will he just be included in the ITT squad?
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

07 Jun 2018 17:47

tobydawq wrote:Will Aru even be there or will he just be included in the ITT squad?

User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

07 Jun 2018 17:58

Haha, what a glorious GIF. I didn't watch that stage so I hadn't seen this before :D
User avatar tobydawq

07 Jun 2018 18:07

bambino wrote:
Asero831 wrote:
bambino wrote:

He managed 2 proper climbs today. He needs to manage 8 proper climbs in September. And of course the teams with proper climbers will create damage throughout the race. Italy will propably sacrifice hard core climbers such as Aru for Nibs, Colombia will do exactly the same i.e. Quintana, Bernal and Chaves might well be domestics for Uran. Puncheurs won't last to the final proper climb and will be 5+ minutes down by the last murito. If not, the leading climber teams have failed miserably and that rarely happens to all of those teams in single day race. Dauphine is a stage race raced like a stage race and is completely different world to single day WCRR.

Other than the fact that Valverde is a puncheur and he's one of the favorites to win. He'll also have a team around him as sole leader for the first time in a long time.
User avatar Koronin

07 Jun 2018 18:11

Reckon when we get to the final climb there will only be three or four riders in the lead group - Italy must go all in for Nibali who is a proven one day racer - Colombia is not straightforward as their riders have their strengths and weaknesses - England is a vexed question because A.Yates is better than Simon at long one day races but Adam's form usually goes off later in the season - A rider like Roglic or even a Kelderman could do well on this course - This is an open World's.
yaco

Re:

07 Jun 2018 18:58

Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

Kennaugh too. I go along with the view that nobody will seriously challenge though. None have shown, thus far in their careers, that they can really challenge in an elite level one day race over 250km with lots of climbing.
King Of The Wolds

Re:

07 Jun 2018 19:15

yaco wrote:Reckon when we get to the final climb there will only be three or four riders in the lead group - Italy must go all in for Nibali who is a proven one day racer - Colombia is not straightforward as their riders have their strengths and weaknesses - England is a vexed question because A.Yates is better than Simon at long one day races but Adam's form usually goes off later in the season - A rider like Roglic or even a Kelderman could do well on this course - This is an open World's.

England, is indeed a vexed question. Particularly as they are not riding the race.
User avatar ferryman

07 Jun 2018 19:16

Koronin wrote:
bambino wrote:
Asero831 wrote:
bambino wrote:

Other than the fact that Valverde is a puncheur and he's one of the favorites to win. He'll also have a team around him as sole leader for the first time in a long time.

Valverde to me is much more climbing oriented all-rounder with proper puncheur capabilities, but I guess he is one of the rare that are pretty hard to categorize. Alaphilippe might be going to similar direction, but lacks still a lot the climbing side compared to Valv. On the other hand I don't regard Nibali as climber either.
bambino

Re:

07 Jun 2018 19:19

Really ?

Froome
A Yates
S Yates
Geraint Thomas
Geoghegan Hart
James Knox
Hugh Carty

Isn't a gander a male goose? Why would I take a such at a possible line-up for a British team?

Is that seriously an expression? :lol:
User avatar tobydawq

07 Jun 2018 19:50

tobydawq wrote:Isn't a gander a male goose? Why would I take a such at a possible line-up for a British team?

Etymology
First recorded in 1887, based on craning the neck like a goose.

Verb
take a gander
(idiomatic) To take a look; to check or examine.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_a_gander#English
shalgo

07 Jun 2018 20:04

shalgo wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Isn't a gander a male goose? Why would I take a such at a possible line-up for a British team?

Etymology
First recorded in 1887, based on craning the neck like a goose.

Verb
take a gander
(idiomatic) To take a look; to check or examine.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take_a_gander#English

Oh, so I should have put my laptop next to me for full effect :D
User avatar tobydawq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing