Register

Fully doped cycling? 65km TDF Stage 17

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

29 Jun 2018 20:39

ebandit wrote:how berto woulda loved such a stage....perfect opportunity to derail the team sky train

so who's gonna do it this year?

probably G.....sorry! dawg my doping trumps your 'powder puff' effort

Mark L

ps saw G on local roads here in TT championship....he were flying.............

Flying you say, another marginal gain by sky that the others haven’t caught on with
rick james

Re: Full retard cycling? 65km TDF Stage 17

29 Jun 2018 20:45

It is a fascinating stage, leg-sapping climbs but cut to about one-third the length of a regular grand tour stage so that everyone is "fresh" when the climbs begin. I would have enjoyed seeing this raced in the 2011 TDF, which, to me, was the last year in which the peloton seemed to step back a little from PEDs (not clean, mind you, but maybe cleanish) -- possibly in reaction to LA's coming under fire from Landis's book and the USADA hammer, the unknown in that regard, and also Contador's clenbuterol case decision. (If the big fish could be caught, was this a warning shot to everyone?) The following year, the TDF became a drag and a circus, but not a drag circus, which would have been more entertaining. This year, on this stage, Froome will raise his middle finger to maximum altitude and put 5 minutes into whoever's second.
User avatar JosephK

Re: Re:

29 Jun 2018 21:18

rick james wrote:
thehog wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:This stage could be the true reason why Sky put Bernal in the line up.

Agreed but i think this has got Landa or Porte written all over it.

The 200 rider warm up on rollers should be fun to watch :cool:

There's to be space at the start for every team to warm up on rollers, so that no neutralised section is needed. Then comes the special start-line arrangement. The yellow jersey will be front and centre, with the second-placed rider a few metres to his left, and the third-placed rider a few metres to his right - and so on, with the top ten riders on the front row of the grid.

Why are these 2 posts in the clinic? They should be in a race thread.... rollers and talk of Bernal don’t have anything to do with doping....what a waste of time this thread is

Because is the only thread that talks about the 65 kilometer stage. I thought it was obvious. You can open a thread in the other forum and we can talk about it there. :)
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 21:25

Will somebody be able to break the 6 watts/kilogram in the last climb?
In the 90's we would be looking at 6.4 watts/kilogram in these type of climbs. Then it came down a bit. But I predict that nobody will break the 6 watts/kilogram barrier at the Col du Portet.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

30 Jun 2018 04:17

question is how will they adjust their doping/motoring techniques for this stage,there is a good chance you will have to go 100% from the start to finish because the stage is shorter than froomey giro full doping attack

Edited by King Boonen.
saganftw

30 Jun 2018 07:25

Batshit crazy conspiracy talk I can cope with. Use of offensive terminology I can't. C'mon people, grow up.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

30 Jun 2018 08:54

I just hope Movistar get the whole leadership committee and at least one other in the front group and wreak total havoc.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

30 Jun 2018 09:10

landa/quintana or thomas/froome launching a mountain madison and wrecking the whole oppisition would be fun, but I fear everyone will be waiting for teammates.
dacooley

Re:

30 Jun 2018 09:13

dacooley wrote:landa/quintana or thomas/froome launching a mountain madison and wrecking the whole oppisition would be fun, but I fear everyone will be waiting for teammates.

If Froome is in Yellow, he aint waiting for nobody.
He'll go full gas to the finish
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

30 Jun 2018 10:04

Mod hat on:

Hi folks,

Just a note that the phrase which is causing offense is currently under discussion between the mods. We’d ask that you always refrain from using offensive terms, particularly if another user requests it. If we think anyone is using it to purposefully inflame another user then we will deal with it as we would any other trolling.

Cheers,

KB.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

30 Jun 2018 10:04

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Batshit crazy conspiracy talk I can cope with. Use of offensive terminology I can't. C'mon people, grow up.

Don't ever take a senior level EM physics course then... You'll spend months calculating retarded potentials. Meh. I just can't get worked up over words and labels. If you really find a word offensive, it's usually better to co-opt it to rob it of any power.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

Re:

30 Jun 2018 10:06

King Boonen wrote:Mod hat on:

Hi folks,

Just a note that the phrase which is causing offense is currently under discussion between the mods. We’d ask that you always refrain from using offensive terms, particularly if another user requests it. If we think anyone is using it to purposefully inflame another user then we will deal with it as we would any other trolling.

Cheers,

KB.

Good luck with that. EVERYTHING is offensive to some group of people. Some of you are offended right now!

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

30 Jun 2018 10:26

I can see and respect why some find the word offensive. I don't, in the context it has been used in in the Clinic. I suggest the best way forward is to change the thread title to 'Full on' cause it has good potential as a thread to roll on...
User avatar ferryman

30 Jun 2018 10:28

ScienceIsCool wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Batshit crazy conspiracy talk I can cope with. Use of offensive terminology I can't. C'mon people, grow up.

Don't ever take a senior level EM physics course then... You'll spend months calculating retarded potentials. Meh. I just can't get worked up over words and labels. If you really find a word offensive, it's usually better to co-opt it to rob it of any power.

John Swanson

Let’s not draw ridiculous false equivalencies, is patently obvious that the proper use of the term is not going to cause offense and that’s clearly not the problem here.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

30 Jun 2018 10:41

30 Jun 2018 10:44

King Boonen wrote:
ScienceIsCool wrote:

John Swanson

Let’s not draw ridiculous false equivalencies, is patently obvious that the proper use of the term is not going to cause offense and that’s clearly not the problem here.

Indeed. The term is clearly being used in a pejorative manner, not in any scientific or technical context.

Re:

30 Jun 2018 10:49

ferryman wrote:I can see and respect why some find the word offensive. I don't, in the context it has been used in in the Clinic. I suggest the best way forward is to change the thread title to 'Full on' cause it has good potential as a thread to roll on...

It's basic definition is to go backwards or hold back progress, which is clearly not what is meant in this context since it's in reference to people going faster, not slower.

Rather it's expressing commentary about mental aspects of the sport, and that's why it's offensive.

30 Jun 2018 11:03

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
ferryman wrote:I can see and respect why some find the word offensive. I don't, in the context it has been used in in the Clinic. I suggest the best way forward is to change the thread title to 'Full on' cause it has good potential as a thread to roll on...

It's basic definition is to go backwards or hold back progress, which is clearly not what is meant in this context since it's in reference to people going faster, not slower.

Rather it's expressing commentary about mental aspects of the sport, and that's why it's offensive.

I know and don't disagree. That's why I suggested 'Full on' rather than 'Full mental' or 'Full Crazy' which I assume you would find equally offensive. Not looking for a fight here!! KB, just change it to 'Full on' and let the thread roll. FWIW, I think Movistar will hit this stage hard with Valverde being the carrot everyone will have to catch...
User avatar ferryman

30 Jun 2018 13:05

Maybe full Britain would work.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

30 Jun 2018 13:33

I agree. It’s going to be a long thread come the Tour with a lot of Clinic talk about it. Thread must stay no matter what the title. It will be controversial all on its own.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic