Register

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

10 Jul 2018 20:21

King Boonen wrote:Hubris can be a wonderful thing... from the other side.

Not hubris, generosity. France has agreed to let the winner of tomorrow's game appear on the same field with them. How prestigious is that? To be considered worthy of being on the same field as France?
Merckx index

10 Jul 2018 21:21

Mbappé's antics were a bit annoying near the end, a bit like a young Christiano Ronaldo.
Other than that I really liked what I saw from France, fast combinations and counters, Giroud is such a workhorse, Griezmann is pure class, even when he disappears for a few minutes, Kanté is just relentles and Varane was just outstanding as a CB.
Belgium played well, Hazard was by far their best player (well, besides Courtois), but I the end France just showed a bit more urgency and they managed to win the match.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 04:00

France is very, very solid - and can play multiple styles. Yesterday they were determined not to give Belgium any space to counter, gave them the ball and waited. That was a bit boring, but they looked comfortable throughout. Unless they have another lapsus like in Euro 2016, they should win the final (and they would deserve to).
User avatar Jagartrott

11 Jul 2018 11:03

Any sign yet of the leaky French defence? :razz: on a more serious note, I do enjoy those tactical chess games when there's so much quality on the pitch. France played like a machine. It's quite amazing to give away so little against this Belgian team.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jul 2018 14:31

if theresa may does NOT care to travel to her footballers, perhaps they should travel to theresa ;)
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

11 Jul 2018 16:56

Flamin wrote:Any sign yet of the leaky French defence? :razz: on a more serious note, I do enjoy those tactical chess games when there's so much quality on the pitch. France played like a machine. It's quite amazing to give away so little against this Belgian team.

Yeah, I was really impressed with umtiti (sort of expected it from varane). Maybe France's defence is only leaky in an open game, not when they play like that - something which I did find entertaining and very good. If England get to the final and adopt the same tactics as the Belgians i.e. play into france's strengths, their incredible counters, they'll lose 4-0. It will be: Alli loses the ball to Kante, Kante runs towards Henderson, passes the ball to pogba who run a bit more at stones before realising mbappe on a one on one on loop
Brullnux
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 19:03

we're half way there.......................

..................living on a prayer....................

Mark L

ooops! 1 -1 ..................what an idiot I am tempting fate with above

yikes! england being played off the park...................
User avatar ebandit

Re: Re:

11 Jul 2018 20:00

Brullnux wrote:
Flamin wrote:Any sign yet of the leaky French defence? :razz: on a more serious note, I do enjoy those tactical chess games when there's so much quality on the pitch. France played like a machine. It's quite amazing to give away so little against this Belgian team.

Yeah, I was really impressed with umtiti (sort of expected it from varane). Maybe France's defence is only leaky in an open game, not when they play like that - something which I did find entertaining and very good. If England get to the final and adopt the same tactics as the Belgians i.e. play into france's strengths, their incredible counters, they'll lose 4-0. It will be: Alli loses the ball to Kante, Kante runs towards Henderson, passes the ball to pogba who run a bit more at stones before realising mbappe on a one on one on loop

In an open game, top quality attackers are always better than defenders hence every defence will appear leaky though. I mean, nobody can stop players like Hazard running towards goal 1v1.

Croatia-England is pretty entertaining but the difference quality-wise with France-Belgium is day and night. Whoever goes through will simply be humiliated by the French.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jul 2018 20:16

i dont share the simplistic sentiment 'the french will humiliate...'

i did watch their entire game with the belgians and will agree they looked very good, solid and felt like they could add if required....

re. the current game, unfortunately i missed both goals though i did see perhaps 70% of the main time. based on what i saw in the 1st half i though the english played better and ( i hate the word 'deserved') logically should have had the lead. when i saw 1:1 in the 2nd half the feeling did not change much. then, i should be frank , the Croatians clearly outplayed the english in the last 20 min of the main time. in every respect with the british defenders blundering several times as if they were tired...

now is the 2nd half of the additional time and and the croatians look fresher and faster, despite being older and, if am not mistaken, not having made any field changes yet.

great game, imo...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 20:17

Flamin wrote:Croatia-England is pretty entertaining but the difference quality-wise with France-Belgium is day and night. Whoever goes through will simply be humiliated by the French.

But football is a game where logic doesn't always apply...
England are forgetting to play football after the first half. The Croats deserve to go through by now (first half was England).
User avatar Jagartrott

11 Jul 2018 20:21

we're going home.................we're going home

england football teams going home

..............3 lions on my shirt

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

11 Jul 2018 20:21

An an England fan, Croatia deserve to win this game. By far the better team since half time.
Hayabusa

11 Jul 2018 20:32

I've been pulling for the Croatians in every game they've played for a while now - they leave it all out on the field, without the dramatic BS.
yetiyeti

Re:

11 Jul 2018 20:43

python wrote:if theresa may does NOT care to travel to her footballers, perhaps they should travel to theresa ;)
it was irony/joke, BUT turns out macron was either less busy or is less attached to the 'boycott Russia' nonsense.

and he can claim what i just speculated on his part.
User avatar python
Veteran

11 Jul 2018 20:44

Jagartrott wrote:
Flamin wrote:Croatia-England is pretty entertaining but the difference quality-wise with France-Belgium is day and night. Whoever goes through will simply be humiliated by the French.

But football is a game where logic doesn't always apply...
England are forgetting to play football after the first half. The Croats deserve to go through by now (first half was England).

I know, but the difference in quality is really big imo. That and France should be a lot fresher as well.
User avatar Flamin

11 Jul 2018 20:51

Yeah, should be a walk in the park for France, but they thought much the same two years ago. If France don't score early, they'll get more and more nervous. Still, they hold all the cards of course. No injuries, no extra time played, physically a very strong team, smart coach, and the best defense in this tournament.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

11 Jul 2018 21:49

Jagartrott wrote:Yeah, should be a walk in the park for France, but they thought much the same two years ago. If France don't score early, they'll get more and more nervous. Still, they hold all the cards of course. No injuries, no extra time played, physically a very strong team, smart coach, and the best defense in this tournament.

Which is why Croatia will win.
ChewbaccaDefense

Re:

12 Jul 2018 06:10

Jagartrott wrote:Yeah, should be a walk in the park for France, but they thought much the same two years ago. If France don't score early, they'll get more and more nervous. Still, they hold all the cards of course. No injuries, no extra time played, physically a very strong team, smart coach, and the best defense in this tournament.

True, though France is better than 2 years ago.

Anyway, I have to admit Croatia's mental toughness and physical strength despite having played 2 120' games, surprised me yesterday. Nevertheless, it would be absolutely incredible if they pull this off.
User avatar Flamin

12 Jul 2018 07:35

So England played 5 matches, all against teams ranked lower than them, and a "B team friendly" against Belgium. Of those 5 matches, they won 3, drew one (against a team missing its talisman) and lost one.

So essentially their world ranking of 12th is about right, possibly generous.

But they rode their luck and gave supporters a bit of fun which, essentially, is the only thing professional sport is about.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

12 Jul 2018 07:59

A frustrating night as an England fan but no complaints, From the second half onwards Croatia were the better team. We gave up the initiative after an excellent first half performance where we could and should have scored a second goal.

Still a lot of positives for this young side who have performed well, with all the rubbish going on politically and with Brexit they’ve brought a nation back together, especially after the embarrassments of 2014 and 2016.

Pickford, Maguire, Trippier and Stones the standouts, After a lot of success with the junior teams last summer, winning the U17 and U20 world cups, I hope this is the start of something good.
User avatar Pricey_sky

PreviousNext

Return to General