Register

BMC in disarray?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

26 May 2018 15:17

roundabout wrote:45 minutes lost today. He can probably be better in GTs, but not sure if it is worth it.

Yeah a brutal finish for many riders this year, some much better than Dennis.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 May 2018 16:12

So Dennis did collapse in the end. Still being in top 10 for a while after 18 stages was better than I expected. But he should concentrate on being the best time triallist. Which I think he already is. Only when it's significantly hilly Dumoulin can beat him.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

27 May 2018 09:13

Yeah, he did better than I expected too - it was about 3 stages too many for him it seems.

He can go away with a Stage win and a collection of Pink Jerseys for his experience though.

I guess that he might give the Vuelta a go next.
Yingge

20 Jun 2018 04:37

Caruso said to "Sui pedali magazine" that the management notified to them that they are in advanced talking with a new big sponsor and if they close the agreement the team will continue.
He said that they want to sort out all before the Tour.
Nirvana

11 Jul 2018 05:40

According to today's Équipe, CCC may replace BMC as main sponsor of the team. Not sure if this leads to a merger with the existing ProConti team.
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

15 Jul 2018 12:13

https://www.hln.be/sport/wielrennen/het-is-rond-van-avermaet-blijft-bij-opvolger-bmc-ploeg~a976abd0/

It seems confirmed that CCC will take the sponsorship of Jim Ochowicz's team in 2019. Official confirmation is expected during the Tour de France rest day.
dick the quick

16 Jul 2018 15:04

So CCC will become main sponsor of an ex-BMC team, while keeping also their pro-conti team?
PeterB

Re:

16 Jul 2018 15:37

PeterB wrote:So CCC will become main sponsor of an ex-BMC team, while keeping also their pro-conti team?

Not sure if there is still a business need to have a separate team at the Pro Conti level. WT team will be present in all the major races around the world, while smaller races in countries where CCC has business interest (mainly Central and Eastern Europe) could be served well by a CT team. So a downgrade of the existing CCC team to CT level would be reasonable IMO.

However, nothing has been said about the future of the current CCC team, apart of that some of their riders and technical staff will move to the ex-BMC WT team. If I remember correctly, only Antunes has a contract for 2019.
dick the quick

16 Jul 2018 17:49

I can only see at best 5 or 6 current riders riding for the WT team.
yaco

Re: BMC in disarray?

16 Jul 2018 18:16

Yes, these should be IMO:

- based on the results achieved: Tratnik (but he has already signed with Bahrain, hasn't he?)
- based on the talent/possible development: Antunes, Banaszek (?), Owsian, Sajnok (?), Schlegel (?), Sisr (?)
dick the quick

16 Jul 2018 19:40

I think CCC is so integrated into Polish cycling community that they simply can not afford not taking several of their current Polish riders to their "main" team. Overlooking their Polish riders for the WT team and leaving them ride on a conti team would be like betraying their homeland. So I think it is fair to assume that they take at least 5-6 Polish riders to the WT team, unless they keep the "other" team at the pro conti level, in which case they can keep that one for Polish riders and the WT one for international ones. But as noted above, it makes little sense to fund pro conti team along the WT team.

As regards some new signings, Greipel could be a good fit, to start with.
PeterB

Re: BMC in disarray?

16 Jul 2018 23:11

BMC Announcement

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/au-en/experience/the-feedzone/ccc_to_become_title_sponsor_of_continuum_sports_in_2019/

- Team Name still to be determined.
- GVA will be there - the only rider named so far.
- BMC will NOT be supplying the bikes.
Yingge

17 Jul 2018 00:03

Too bad it didn't come a few months earlier. They might have retained a lot of their talent. But it's a win for the sport to see these teams merge and for BMC to survive. Next year they should be able to make some good signings depending on their finances. There still might be some good riders coming off contract that haven't been signed.
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Jul 2018 01:46

During the press conference they clearly said that they won't merge the teams, it's only CCC that steps in as title sponsor for Continuum Sports (the actual BMC).
Nirvana

17 Jul 2018 07:28

One other interesting point:
"I am excited to see CCC partner with Continuum Sports and reach the highest level of cycling. We have been looking for an opportunity to join the WorldTour and this was the perfect chance to partner with a well established and respected team, with Greg Van Avermaet as team leader," Milek said in a team statement.

Wasn't there "an opportunity to join the WorldTour" as lately as last autumn when Vaughters scrambled for sponsors? Or maybe back then it did not involve "well established and respected team"?
PeterB

17 Jul 2018 08:04

According to VeloNews Ochowicz said they probably won't do GTs. CCC always put up a good fight in the televised races I saw, but tbh I don't see much opportunity (or need) to go global, at least for CCC exposure. It's a central European company, so expect races like Tour of Slovenia to be targets.
Bolder

17 Jul 2018 08:31

Wonder if they will entice Majka
del1962
Veteran

Re:

17 Jul 2018 09:25

del1962 wrote:Wonder if they will entice Majka
Depending on the budget, which I am afraid will be less than Bora's, so obviously they would like to, but Majka, whose position at his current team must be satisfactory to him, will probably have little incentive to change. But who knows if Bora will want to keep Majka...?

By the way this is from BMC's press release:

As the rider roster develops, so too will the team’s ambitions and objectives for stage races and Grand Tours.

The likes of Caruso and Roche if they stay would be good as a basis for the GTs and maybe if they try to attract riders from markets that are interesting to CCC such as Slovenia (Spilak? Pogacar? or even Roglic?) or Czech Rep. (Kreuziger?) along with some Polish talent they should do reasonably fine in the GTs.
PeterB

17 Jul 2018 09:40

PeterB wrote: along with some Polish talent they should do reasonably fine in the GTs.

Does Poland have any up-and-coming GT talents?

I'm not into junior and u-23 racing, but as a Pole I haven't heard of any. The most promising Polish talents ATM seem to be Sajnok and Banaszek and they are not climbers. And there's 18 y.o. Filip Maciejuk. I don't know what type of rider he is, apart from being good at ITT.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing