Register

Jan Ullrich

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

21 Sep 2015 20:17

Fearless Greg Lemond wrote:I agree, to a certain extend. Too bad I cant find the 1994 Baby Giro GC.

Yes, I do realize I I'm replying to a 2 year old post, but I found it on an unrelated google search.

The germans abandoned during stage 9 of 12 out of sheer shock after Christian Meyer had a horrific crash.
He was left a paraplegic.

I have no idea if there had been mountains before that or how Ullrich was doing. By the way, don't be fooled by the time trial, it didn't end on a mountain, the name of the finishing town is incorrect, it didn't finish on any 'Monte Cobicce', but at Gabicce Monte which is quite flat and on the coast.
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

22 Sep 2015 00:28

ray j willings wrote:The year Jan didn't get to start with Basso. Jan looked lean and mean.
If only:(

ASO spoilt the fun for everybody :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

22 Sep 2015 01:38

User avatar slowspoke

Re:

22 Sep 2015 01:57

How flat is Bjarne's back!?
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

Re: Re:

22 Sep 2015 02:56

Dear Wiggo wrote:

God forbid! Riis is not wearing an aero helmet! Didn't Greg LeMond teach these guys anything about gaining a minute in 27km? ;)
User avatar thehog
Veteran

22 Sep 2015 12:10

thehog wrote:
Dear Wiggo wrote:

God forbid! Riis is not wearing an aero helmet! Didn't Greg LeMond teach these guys anything about gaining a minute in 27km? ;)

come on, he has this super aero bold head - typical marginal gains, even before it became mainstream
doperhopper

22 Sep 2015 12:23

I always checked Jan's 2nd chin if he was in top shape or not.

Not sure if posted yet, but GC Baby Giro 1994.

1 ITA Leonardo Piepoli ITA in 42h 39m 56.00s
2 ITA Ruggero Borghi ITA at 07.00s
3 ITA Francesco Secchiari ITA at 33.00s
4 ITA Michele Laddomada ITA at 01m 42.00s
5 ITA Filippo Simeoni ITA at 02m 14.00s
6 ITA Giuseppe Di Grande ITA at 03m 02.00s
7 ITA Stefano Finesso ITA at 04m 14.00s
8 ITA Roberto Dal Sie ITA at 05m 27.00s
9 ITA Eddy Mazzoleni ITA at 05m 41.00s
10 ITA Rudy Mosole ITA at 05m 55.00s
User avatar "Jeff"

22 Sep 2015 15:28

doperhopper wrote:
thehog wrote:
Dear Wiggo wrote:

come on, he has this super aero bold head - typical marginal gains, even before it became mainstream

True but Greg had showed us the way! What was Riis thinking!
User avatar thehog
Veteran

22 Sep 2015 18:06

thehog wrote:...

He was thinking that with his 'crit score, he don't need no damn pointed head helmet.

Dave.
D-Queued
Veteran

22 Sep 2015 23:57

D-Queued wrote:
thehog wrote:...

He was thinking that with his 'crit score, he don't need no damn pointed head helmet.

Dave.

Still lost 2.20" to Ullrich. He also put a minute into Indurain, who I gather was quite good at time trailing.
User avatar slowspoke

Re: Jan Ullrich

23 Sep 2015 02:32

Riis didn't need no stinking helmet.
chuckmicD

28 Sep 2015 13:57

chuckmicD wrote:Riis didn't need no stinking helmet.
:D
I loved Ullrich.

Also, kudos to Merckx Index and your posting. I always learn something from them and appreciate the time and effort put in. :)
Dr.Guess

Re:

17 Feb 2016 12:47

I wonder how much faster he would have been in an aero helmet vs his cap / sunglasses? Quite a bit i would think. Not enough to make any difference obviously but i am still suprised.
whynotme101

17 Feb 2016 13:21

thehog wrote:
ray j willings wrote:The year Jan didn't get to start with Basso. Jan looked lean and mean.

I guess he still would've been slaughtered by Basso.

After all it was Robo Basso of team PFC!

Remember there ain't been any traces of EPO in his Fuentes blood bags. But you ain't gonna tt like Armstrong as a pure climber with some fresh blood and hemopure only I suggest!
User avatar staubsauger

24 Feb 2016 01:01

staubsauger wrote:
thehog wrote:

Remember there ain't been any traces of EPO in his Fuentes blood bags. But you ain't gonna tt like Armstrong as a pure climber with some fresh blood and hemopure only I suggest!

Ullrich (predictably) beat Basso in the long TT of the 2006 Giro. A little under a month and half before the start of the Tour. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2006//giro06/?id=results/giro0611

Also predictably, Ullrich got better and better as the stages went by. He abandoned during stage 19, couple stages before the end of the Giro.

Point is, Ullrich probably would have suffered a similar fate at the TDF that year. Perhaps I am wrong, but, even with the TT win at the Giro, and the overall title at the Tour De Suisse (also won the final TT at that race), his form probably wouldn't have been good enough to win that year. The tour was wide open that year, with Armstrong retired, but I think Basso would have made it a Giro-Tour double.
BullsFan22

24 Feb 2016 09:04

BullsFan22 wrote:
staubsauger wrote:
thehog wrote:

Ullrich (predictably) beat Basso in the long TT of the 2006 Giro. A little under a month and half before the start of the Tour. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2006//giro06/?id=results/giro0611

Also predictably, Ullrich got better and better as the stages went by. He abandoned during stage 19, couple stages before the end of the Giro.

Point is, Ullrich probably would have suffered a similar fate at the TDF that year. Perhaps I am wrong, but, even with the TT win at the Giro, and the overall title at the Tour De Suisse (also won the final TT at that race), his form probably wouldn't have been good enough to win that year. The tour was wide open that year, with Armstrong retired, but I think Basso would have made it a Giro-Tour double.

Perhaps, but there was a long ITT before the first mountain stage, so Ullrich probably would've wore the yellow at least for a while. And his team was ridiculously strong, lost two riders and still should've won the Tour.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

09 Sep 2018 21:51

Ullrich got out of the rehab clinic in Germany, but went back to Mallorca, and went back to drinking alcohol immediately. The newspapers in Germany say Ullrich has been seen drinking whiskey, that he never really intended to give up alcohol in the first place, and that he has been acting erratically again - climbing around on the rooftop of his villa while "carrying a cloth chicken" (a kind of plush chicken stuffed-animal bird).Image

A mistake by many alcoholics is to think they can drink in moderation, when actually they can't, and it just starts the cycle of addiction over again. So, probably more trouble is to come, for Jan Ullrich. Maybe he will stay off of the amphetamines at least, but not convinced that the psychosis from the stimulant drugs has worn off completely.
Resurrecting the Ullrich thread in the Clinic, as the place for any CN post-meltdown Jan Ullrich commentary. To move the drama out of the PRR section as sugggested.
ClassicomanoLuigi

09 Sep 2018 23:05

ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Ullrich got out of the rehab clinic in Germany, but went back to Mallorca, and went back to drinking alcohol immediately. The newspapers in Germany say Ullrich has been seen drinking whiskey, that he never really intended to give up alcohol in the first place, and that he has been acting erratically again - climbing around on the rooftop of his villa while "carrying a cloth chicken" (a kind of plush chicken stuffed-animal bird).Image

A mistake by many alcoholics is to think they can drink in moderation, when actually they can't, and it just starts the cycle of addiction over again. So, probably more trouble is to come, for Jan Ullrich. Maybe he will stay off of the amphetamines at least, but not convinced that the psychosis from the stimulant drugs has worn off completely.
Resurrecting the Ullrich thread in the Clinic, as the place for any CN post-meltdown Jan Ullrich commentary. To move the drama out of the PRR section as sugggested.

Why isn't this guy in jail where he belongs?
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

09 Sep 2018 23:16

El Pistolero wrote:
ClassicomanoLuigi wrote:Ullrich got out of the rehab clinic in Germany, but went back to Mallorca, and went back to drinking alcohol immediately. The newspapers in Germany say Ullrich has been seen drinking whiskey, that he never really intended to give up alcohol in the first place, and that he has been acting erratically again - climbing around on the rooftop of his villa while "carrying a cloth chicken" (a kind of plush chicken stuffed-animal bird).Image

In jail? Will that really help him? Or society? I am not sure it would..
Norks74

14 Sep 2018 02:18

Norks74 wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:

In jail? Will that really help him? Or society? I am not sure it would..

Well there is that assault charge looming...
It's sad, but he seems like he hasn't hit rock bottom yet. I'm afraid this isn't going to end well. Hopefully he will gets some help, either voluntarily or forced.

On a side note, I thought he would blow up and gain a ton of weight in retirement. He looks fitter than he did in most off seasons during his career!
User avatar benzwire

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic