Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Oct 2018 21:59

https://www.axios.com/trump-ivanka-incredible-successor-to-nikki-haley-49539bae-e7a3-42e2-a98c-21b939ee1ace.html
President Trump told reporters Tuesday that he thinks his daughter, Ivanka Trump, "would be dynamite" as a replacement to UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, who resigned this morning, but added that he fears he'd be accused of nepotism if he chose her.

Ivanka has lots of qualifications to become UN Ambassador ... erhh ... like ... umm ... "she's a 10!"
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

10 Oct 2018 03:08

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:Not sure it's 'age discrimination' for wanting politicians/senators to have retired at retirement age - ie; the same as everyone else... admittedly, they're unlikely to do so while they've their snouts in the trough...

Term limits for sure..like the POTUS..and hopefully only one for this orange haired orangutan in the WH...

Surely, they should be retiring sooner than they are. I realise it's hard for them while they're raking in the dosh (as dirt artfully hit the nail on the head), but you'd think they'd take the money n run (to the hamptons or somewhere like Bermuda). Stay too long and you risk getting done for it, no?

djpbaltimore wrote:I guess i could put more of your quotes on my signature, but you aren't worth it. Before you further lose the plot, I think Archibald hit the nail on the head. Mandating a retirement age is not exactly age bigotry. There is a minimum age to be president, why not a maximum?

I find it rather strange that of a country of over 300million the only few willing to run the joint are a few retirees...
User avatar Archibald

10 Oct 2018 04:23

Trump and John " Michael " Bo!ton don't believe in the UN..the only coalition those clowns need is anyone that they can befriend or con into teaming up situational circumstances....only fix things when absolutely emergency conditions exist..
When you have leadership that sees all climate and pollution problems as,politics..or make believed boogiemen ...all is lost..
If Trump takes us as a nation..converts all national rational to only correct never prevent....we are all f#cked..our air,water,oceans can all be repaired after damage..our parks won't heal up..
Being global is not stupid..it's not futile..what others do effects us..this whole contraction.let's put the U.S. in some minimum configuration a completely stupid on every level..
We can't hide u under the covers and everything and everyone will go away
Unchained

10 Oct 2018 10:53

aphronesis
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 07:01

"I love Wikileaks" ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/10/wikileaks-hacked-emails-trump-campaign-robert-mueller
The Trump campaign’s surprising defence of Wikileaks marks a stark departure from official US policy, which has condemned the website for frequently targeting the US government and for publishing thousands of classified documents about covert policies.

Mike Pompeo, the former CIA director who now serves as Donald Trump’s secretary of state, has called Wikileaks a “hostile non-state intelligence service” that put US lives at risk, damaged national security and was “abetted by state actors like Russia”.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

11 Oct 2018 10:13

lets take it one at the time dj.

obviously, resorting to a year old quote, completely out of context and content to boot, to bastardize a political observation expressed with restraint (see the unchained post), it would be fair then to quote you from the past...

on your racist statements...here's a direct quote.
djpbaltimore wrote:
I don't think white people have earned a priori trust

a blanket accusation of the white race. no historical or any conditioners ! this caused several posters, mainly from europe, to term it appropriately as racist. it was not just wrong, but cheap and disingenuous. several good arguments were offered. all dismissed by your primitive inability to look at the issue as an abstract fit both sides...

on 'white trash'....not a complement, but i did not coin the term. per collins
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/white-trash

btw, at no point i implied anyone on this board as belonging in the group. that, you took it so personal is strange.

1st and foremost, the term refers to an economic condition of a group only in the context of their race as opposed to the race itself. that you are failing the basic difference - not to mention that no other american did so here - points to either ignorance or, perhaps, a deliberate effort to promote a racist allusion. again, it was used to illustrate the great variability across the race groups as opposed to your blanket accusation of the whites....

on phd...
again, when a political discussion is taking place, it is considered poor form to refer to once own phd to advance an argument. note, not the casual mention, as some do occasionally, but a consistent academic chest thumping. in fact, some may see the zealousness as an academic cred question. i really dont care, but NO ONE on this board used the phd reference as often as YOU did. at least a half a dozen of times...i will have to go back and collect each and every case if you once again distort this well documented fact. so much about the insecurity...

too many imo pretentious positions. reflect more bro and don't let you knees jerk when someone does not see america the way you do...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

11 Oct 2018 13:25

python wrote:lets take it one at the time dj.

obviously, resorting to a year old quote, completely out of context and content to boot, to bastardize a political observation expressed with restraint (see the unchained post), it would be fair then to quote you from the past...

on your racist statements...here's a direct quote.
djpbaltimore wrote:
I don't think white people have earned a priori trust

a blanket accusation of the white race. no historical or any conditioners ! this caused several posters, mainly from europe, to term it appropriately as racist. it was not just wrong, but cheap and disingenuous. several good arguments were offered. all dismissed by your primitive inability to look at the issue as an abstract fit both sides...

on 'white trash'....not a complement, but i did not coin the term. per collins
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/white-trash

btw, at no point i implied anyone on this board as belonging in the group. that, you took it so personal is strange.

1st and foremost, the term refers to an economic condition of a group only in the context of their race as opposed to the race itself. that you are failing the basic difference - not to mention that no other american did so here - points to either ignorance or, perhaps, a deliberate effort to promote a racist allusion. again, it was used to illustrate the great variability across the race groups as opposed to your blanket accusation of the whites....

on phd...
again, when a political discussion is taking place, it is considered poor form to refer to once own phd to advance an argument. note, not the casual mention, as some do occasionally, but a consistent academic chest thumping. in fact, some may see the zealousness as an academic cred question. i really dont care, but NO ONE on this board used the phd reference as often as YOU did. at least a half a dozen of times...i will have to go back and collect each and every case if you once again distort this well documented fact. so much about the insecurity...

too many imo pretentious positions. reflect more bro and don't let you knees jerk when someone does not see america the way you do...
Python: Year old out of context quotes are not fair game.
Also Python: Look at this year old out of context quote in my signature.
You really should learn irony. About that quote....
djpbaltimore wrote:Having multiple parties should help protect Europe from the worst polarization. I don't know how much you know about the USA, but the bolded is something that was taught to many white people about black people for years and years and still is in many places. I think the issue is less political than you think and the article reads better if you don't read it as written in a partisan manner. The author doesn't single out Trump voters because he realizes that there is still a big issue with White people who vote democrat, too. Often they are the comfortable latte sippers (TM Chewbacca) that are happy with the status quo and often fall into the trap of respectability politics when dealing with minorities. Right now in America, a majority of the white people living here think WHITE people are being discriminated against in society. I don't think white people have earned a priori trust in the manner that you claim for the reasons offered in the article. I'm actually more pessimistic than the author. Nobody in the USA deserves a priori trust. Also, the NYT opinion page is often a troll fest, so I don't see how this stands out compared to what is generally put there.
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/24/559604836/majority-of-white-americans-think-theyre-discriminated-against
I lived in a trailer in South Dakota for 7 years in my youth and many more years in the poorest part of Georgia, where my mother paid the bills by working in a McDonalds. I think many people would consider my family white trash. But I never listened to the elites like you who throw around derogatory labels and I focused on my education to achieve something with my life. Shrugs....

You really don't get the phd joke do you? That really makes it all the more funny.

I have never seen you have a single noteworthy thing to say about America and it is fair game to point that out. You can't look past your own confirmation biases. It is funny how much you have been whinging about Trump in these threads. Maybe you should've thought of that in 2016, err... bro...
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

11 Oct 2018 16:50

I’m struggling to find the racism in there. But I left my persecuted neocon white guy recoder ring at home.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/10/steven-pinker-enlightenment-now-review
aphronesis
Veteran

11 Oct 2018 21:04

The stable genius needs to do more then campaign ralies. Rating agencies are messing up and Trumps trade war could slow things down so corporations debt drags the economy down even more.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-almost-junk-credit-ratings/?srnd=premium-europe
“The rating agencies are giving companies too much wiggle room,” said Tom Murphy, a money manager at Columbia Threadneedle Investments. “There’s been some pretty heroic assumptions around cost savings and debt repayments laid out by some borrowers involved in mergers.”
the credit raters are taking companies’ assumptions at face value instead of taking a more skeptical approach. In the Keurig deal, she said, Moody’s methodology placed nearly equal weighting on the company’s promises to pay down its debt as it did its ability to pay.
There’s now about $2.47 trillion of U.S. corporate debt rated in the BBB tier, more than triple the level at the end of 2008. It now makes up a record 49 percent of the investment-grade bond market and has eclipsed the entire U.S. junk bond market, according to Bloomberg Barclays Index data.

User avatar Robert5091

11 Oct 2018 22:24

Looking at the current leverage chart, industry median leverages for BBB rated companies seem quite reasonable at a first glance, so I am not sure if there is a reason to conclude that rating agencies are messing up.

Interest coverage ratio also seems ok from aggregate data.

So I dunno, I guess.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

12 Oct 2018 04:21

These last few days have broken my heart more..as if that was possible..Trump on Saudi hit squad..sure they may have murdered a guy..sent the government team to cover it up..but..big but..@$120 billion in defense dollars are pending..so we should punish them a different way..
Trump..a guy who walked away from @700 million dollars in bankruptcy debt..saying we should be fast and loose with monetary policy...
Hearing about kids being taken from their parents..and adopted by American families because nobody has a procedure do contact the parents..
Hearing that only @25% of voters 19-26 plan to vote..@81% of voters 65 and older plan to vote..
Unchained

Re:

12 Oct 2018 04:28

Unchained wrote:These last few days have broken my heart more..as if that was possible..Trump on Saudi hit squad..sure they may have murdered a guy..sent the government team to cover it up..but..big but..@$120 billion in defense dollars are pending..so we should punish them a different way..
Trump..a guy who walked away from @700 million dollars in bankruptcy debt..saying we should be fast and loose with monetary policy...
Hearing about kids being taken from their parents..and adopted by American families because nobody has a procedure do contact the parents..
Hearing that only @25% of voters 19-26 plan to vote..@81% of voters 65 and older plan to vote..

I'm with you. Then you have people wonder why I to move to another country when I retire. Of course they also call you unamerican and that you shouldn't even be here in the first place.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

12 Oct 2018 06:34

roundabout wrote:Looking at the current leverage chart, industry median leverages for BBB rated companies seem quite reasonable at a first glance, so I am not sure if there is a reason to conclude that rating agencies are messing up.

Interest coverage ratio also seems ok from aggregate data.

So I dunno, I guess.

What I found worrying was the claim of credit rating firms not doing their job - deja vu from 2008. The use of cheap money to go on a M&A spree is another deja vu moment of the 1980s. Usch!

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

12 Oct 2018 17:14

Unchained wrote:These last few days have broken my heart more..as if that was possible..Trump on Saudi hit squad..sure they may have murdered a guy..sent the government team to cover it up..but..big but..@$120 billion in defense dollars are pending..so we should punish them a different way..

I actually appreciate the honesty in his position. One of the few things that orange moron has said that actually makes some sense, whether you agree with the decision or not.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Oct 2018 02:37

Red Flanders..I read what you wrote..I thought about it..really thought about it..how could anyone doubt that you are 100% right..and that's the sadness that is slowly sweeping over the country
..is mercury in the air and water important.?maybe but not more important than the bottom line of a refinery that is producing,selling and employing..is breathable air important?maybe but not more than "jobs" or GDP...is school safety important?dead children laying in pools of blood at grade school or high school? Sure it's important but not more important than golf or tax cuts for million and billionaires..no those are important things..practical,sensible things depending on your vantage point..
Is a guy that berated one political party,cried when shown calendars from high school..explains 3 way sex as a drinking game..is that the best person for a lifetime appointment of a job of level headedness..?maybe..but logically..no..
When you discover your " customer " sent a death and dismemberment team to slaughter another human being..should you ignore it if the price is right?..sure depending on where you sit..
Trump over and over and over has lowered the value of human life..the human condition...and what you wrote is accurate..Trump said aloud that dead people..or live people are never worth more than a lucrative outcome..never..
As storms hit...does anybody remember a chemical plant left to burn itself out because of a flimsy contingency plan..? When coal ash is mixed in our rivers and streams is that a problem or just part of the process? When factory farms leach animal waste into our water is that an issue for correction? Or just a byproduct of great business and bottom lines..worldwide?
In the minds of too many Americans the ends is justifying the means....a ugly disgusting reality..
This President is often a liar...it's when he is speaking from the heart when he is truly,profoundly scary..he is lost..he is completely untrustworthy and incapable of leading our country and most certainly will not lead the world..
I hope our young boys and girls don't get his message...fvck anybody and everybody if there is good money in it...
He literally said that a huge profit cancels out a murder..our President..
Unchained

13 Oct 2018 02:59

I'm saying the brazen truth is better than the usual pablum fed to us in such situations. That we have been in bed with the Saudis despite ongoing and unending human rights violations and political killings isn't anything new. I would prefer we weren't in bed with a theocracy whose people are bent on our destruction, yeah. But I'm not sure keeping the Saud family in power isn't the lesser of two fairly horrible evils. I find them to be one of the worst regimes in the world. Would the alternative be even worse than that? I fear it would be. Can certainly be convinced otherwise, it's a freaking mess.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Oct 2018 11:28

Most Saudis aren’t bent on US destruction, so you’re still smoking a lot of pablum.
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General