Log in:  

Register

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

2014
204
16%
2015
199
15%
2016
196
15%
2017
195
15%
All of the above
254
20%
He will only manage the double
248
19%
 
Total votes : 1296

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2018 17:27

Squire wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:No TDU, Porte's already puclicly said so even before this year's Tour.
Giro? I doubt Porte would sign for a team that wouldn't promise him Tour leadership, even if it meant taking a bigger pay cut than he already did.

He has also moved to the team with maybe the least amount of competition for Tour leadership. No GC threat, no sprinter.

No respect for

Image
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

21 Oct 2018 17:54

Well the last time Mollema was GT level good was 2016. Granted, he was even in 2nd place and would've probably finished at least top4 without a fall. But still, in 17/18 he was never that level good.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,416
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

21 Oct 2018 18:16

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Well the last time Mollema was GT level good was 2016. Granted, he was even in 2nd place and would've probably finished at least top4 without a fall. But still, in 17/18 he was never that level good.

Can we go talk about Portes GT accomplishments now?
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

21 Oct 2018 23:51

Porte and Mollema will both ride the Tour. Trying to predict their results just gives me a headache..........or maybe Mollema gladly takes on the Giro leadership ? Who knows ? One thing is clear. Porte's Tour team won't be any better than BMC's, probably worse.

This could possibly be Porte's final contract as it will take him up to the age of almost 36. Somehow I don't see him hanging around too long after that, if at all.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,062
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

22 Oct 2018 14:24

Going to be tough next year for Porte but maybe a fresh start with lower expectations will help. To be honest a top 5 GT finish would count as a moral victory. Mollema showed flashes of excellence this year. I could see both in the TdF having an impact. As for motivation post-tour debacle, I really thought he'd do well in the vuelta...was stunned to just see him basically riding around Spain.
Bolder
Member
 
Posts: 767
Joined: 25 Jun 2015 07:29

22 Oct 2018 21:10

Will LRP get past stage 9 is the question.
"Imagine your loved ones conquered by Napoleon and forced to live under French rule. Do you want them to eat that rich food and those heavy sauces? Do you want them to have soufflé every meal and croissant?"
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,780
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

23 Oct 2018 04:37

Robert5091 wrote:Will LRP get past stage 9 is the question.


Well he finished the Vuelta.........not that he looked that interested.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,062
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

23 Oct 2018 08:39

movingtarget wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Will LRP get past stage 9 is the question.


Well he finished the Vuelta.........not that he looked that interested.

well... the risks are higher once you actually try to win or even give a sh*t...
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon
Member
 
Posts: 1,801
Joined: 19 May 2012 08:56

08 Nov 2018 14:43

So, according to an interview with Koen de Kort, Richie Porte is likely to do the Tour Down Under next year as well.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,497
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re:

08 Nov 2018 15:01

Bolder wrote:Going to be tough next year for Porte but maybe a fresh start with lower expectations will help. To be honest a top 5 GT finish would count as a moral victory.

+1.

Porte wont ever win one but this would be a good result for him, and Trek to be honest.
User avatar Alanfresco
New Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 11:49
Location: United Kingdom

08 Nov 2018 17:13

Think Porte's coach must have given up - Has advised for the last 3 years not to ride the TDU if he is serious about GC at a GT.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,983
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

08 Nov 2018 17:39

Squire wrote:So, according to an interview with Koen de Kort, Richie Porte is likely to do the Tour Down Under next year as well.


After already saying repeatedly this summer that he absolutely wouldn't because it ruined his 2018.

Oh well, why am I surprised. It's very much in character to say one thing and do another.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,352
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

08 Nov 2018 20:14

Why would riding the TDU effect Porte in the GTs? Is ot because he would still be home and not want to train as hard or a different reason?
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re:

08 Nov 2018 20:18

yaco wrote:Think Porte's coach must have given up - Has advised for the last 3 years not to ride the TDU if he is serious about GC at a GT.


There is a saying that goes something like "Madness is doing the same over and over again, expecting a different outcome.". Some time ago I would have felt sorry for Porte, but a high VO2 max doesn't make a good bike rider on its own. He should ride the Giro, but he seems destined to fail at the Tour. Again.
User avatar Simurgh
Member
 
Posts: 1,020
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 20:48
Location: Danmark

Re:

08 Nov 2018 20:20

SHAD0W93 wrote:Why would riding the TDU effect Porte in the GTs? Is ot because he would still be home and not want to train as hard or a different reason?

Cause it's stupidly early in the season to be in really good shape I guess. Like you train harder in the winter and that'll help you from January till April but when you need the legs to be fresh for a GT you've just done too much already.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 17,552
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

08 Nov 2018 20:33

Red Rick wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:Why would riding the TDU effect Porte in the GTs? Is ot because he would still be home and not want to train as hard or a different reason?

Cause it's stupidly early in the season to be in really good shape I guess. Like you train harder in the winter and that'll help you from January till April but when you need the legs to be fresh for a GT you've just done too much already.


That makes sense. If he does ride it he should just do it for training than instead of going all out trying to win W. Hill like the last 5 years.
User avatar SHAD0W93
Member
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 03:50

Re:

08 Nov 2018 21:00

SHAD0W93 wrote:Why would riding the TDU effect Porte in the GTs? Is ot because he would still be home and not want to train as hard or a different reason?

Whatever you're doing, you have to focus on the win.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours
Member
 
Posts: 499
Joined: 23 Mar 2010 05:39

08 Nov 2018 21:05

i don't think anyone is in top shape in January it's just that the Australian riders have their national championships in January and the TDU in the same month as well as the Sun Tour. TDU is the beginning of the international season. Probably doesn't affect Porte too much as the stages are short and the climbs are not hard but Evans did not ride the TDU more than a few times and realized that a later start to the season with less racing in aging legs could pay dividends and it helped him in 2011. The fact that Porte still won the TDS after missing quite a lot of early season racing with sickness showed that he still had time to prepare for the Tour.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,062
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

08 Nov 2018 22:11

Simurgh wrote:
yaco wrote:Think Porte's coach must have given up - Has advised for the last 3 years not to ride the TDU if he is serious about GC at a GT.


There is a saying that goes something like "Madness is doing the same over and over again, expecting a different outcome.". Some time ago I would have felt sorry for Porte, but a high VO2 max doesn't make a good bike rider on its own. He should ride the Giro, but he seems destined to fail at the Tour. Again.


Image
Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,736
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03

Re: Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

09 Nov 2018 05:45

On a positive side he did the Vuelta this season. He should aim for finishing Giro-Vuelta next season, overloading work fatigue and then aim for Giro or TdF GC 2020. If he could only aim for, say, polka dot jersey and/or stages next year, it could get monkey of his back and give him best morale and workload boost that way.
memyselfandI
Junior Member
 
Posts: 230
Joined: 04 Jun 2009 08:32

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anderis, Cian, Dragontearz, escartin, Google Adsense [Bot], janraaskalt, JosephK, Logic-is-your-friend, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 74 guests

Back to top