Register

The pedaling technique thread

Moderator: King Boonen

11 Oct 2018 04:42

blah blah blah.

Data please Noel. All else is meaningless twaddle.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

Re:

12 Oct 2018 22:31

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:blah blah blah.

Data please Noel. All else is meaningless twaddle.

If Jim used his work loop modeling on this example (below) of how the glutes and quads (together with the lower leg muscles) can be used to generate maximal crank torque at TDC and beyond, you would have your data.

"All Jim has to do in his lab is sit in an office chair fitted with casters, without arm rests, then pressing down with his hands on the front portion of the sides of the seat, with heel raised on a non slip surface, force that chair backwards (single leg action. That is the basic technique and it's when this forward force is applied to a fast moving pedal that you get the perfect high gear TT technique. It will demonstrate how the powerful calf muscles, ankle and plantar flexion can be put to work in pedalling around TDC, and is very different from the kicking action recommended by the experts. As for bike set-up, the bars need to be in a position that would leave your arm resistance line roughly parallel to that forward force application line between 1 and 1.30 when in the drops position. On my trainer bike I use cut down and rejoined normal bars instead of the Scott Rake aero bars. A model for the work loop tool."
backdoor

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2018 23:27

Alternatively, if you would read the paper you would understand that the muscles are already doing everything that can be done to produce power. Where shall I send it so you can read rather than speculate?
Of course, if your real purpose is to troll rather than to learn or even debate then troll on.

backdoor wrote: If Jim used his work loop modeling on this example (below) of how the glutes and quads (together with the lower leg muscles) can be used to generate maximal crank torque at TDC and beyond, you would have your data.
PhitBoy

13 Oct 2018 19:20

PhitBoy wrote:Alternatively, if you would read the paper you would understand that the muscles are already doing everything that can be done to produce power. Where shall I send it so you can read rather than speculate?
Of course, if your real purpose is to troll rather than to learn or even debate then troll on.

backdoor wrote: If Jim used his work loop modeling on this example (below) of how the glutes and quads (together with the lower leg muscles) can be used to generate maximal crank torque at TDC and beyond, you would have your data.

I did send a PM but obviously you did not receive it. My e-mail address is ncrowley98@gmail.com
backdoor

15 Oct 2018 23:27

PhitBoy wrote:Alternatively, if you would read the paper you would understand that the muscles are already doing everything that can be done to produce power. Where shall I send it so you can read rather than speculate?

Thanks for the paper, it was too complicated for me to fully understand. You were correct in that earlier post,
but you did not mention it was high cadence sprinting that was involved in the study. This meant you would be restricted by time per crank revolution in the muscles and technique that could be used.
"We maximized the power that every muscle produced throughout the pedal cycle and came up with patterns that look almost identical to what cyclists do. That means there is nothing else the muscles can do to produce power in some other technique. Any other technique will be less powerful, not more. The differences we saw at the ankle occur during the middle of the recovery portion of the cycle where an active ankle extension would be counter productive. That is, even though soleus could produce more power during that portion of the cycle, doing so would produce negative power on the crank."
backdoor

02 Nov 2018 00:31

backdoor

Previous

Return to General