Register

Race Thread

Skinny tyres, drop handlebars and mud. Lots of mud.

Moderator: Eshnar

25 Nov 2018 15:48

SPOILERS

well... not so much. MVdP wins, WvA 2nd, Aerts 3rd.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

26 Nov 2018 20:00

De Vlaeminck is right. Cyclocross has become too boring due to MVDP domination. If only he does not feel the need to humiliate his opponents so much and only use the last lap to win, it might become more interesting.
The women's race though remains exciting
IndianCyclist

Re:

27 Nov 2018 10:36

IndianCyclist wrote:De Vlaeminck is right. Cyclocross has become too boring due to MVDP domination. If only he does not feel the need to humiliate his opponents so much and only use the last lap to win, it might become more interesting.

I've prioritized watching the women's races lately and catching the men's races only if I have the time. Last sunday's race was great, again way more interesting than the men's. 4 different winners in 5 races, shapes up to be a nice world cup.
davebqvst

Re:

27 Nov 2018 13:44

IndianCyclist wrote:De Vlaeminck is right. Cyclocross has become too boring due to MVDP domination. If only he does not feel the need to humiliate his opponents so much and only use the last lap to win, it might become more interesting.

Did you mean to use an emoti after that? :rolleyes:
jmdirt

Re: Race Thread

29 Nov 2018 21:01

The problem with De Vlaeminck is that he's not a great communicator. I'm sure he admires Mathieu and has already said so but he makes it sound like it's Mathieu's fault that the field cannot keep up to him. Well in a way you cannot blame the opponents either for not having the same talent as Mathieu has unless you would argue that some like Wout can do better. That's what Roger seemed to suggest in a facetious way ("If I train him, Mathieu does not drop him"). Of course it's a quip but it made me laugh and suggests that Wout could do better (when he's free from all the transfer issues).

Besides, Roger also did dominate cyclocrosses from first to last lap in his days, but they weren't really televised at that time.
Echoes

08 Dec 2018 11:33

Roger just sounds like an old ex pro who is out of touch with the modern sport. 'If I train him, Mathieu does not drop him' - unbelievable comments, and totally clueless.
Axel Hangleck

15 Dec 2018 15:43

It seems like the only one who got faster over the "break" was MVDP!
jmdirt

23 Dec 2018 13:33

Looks like muddy race in Namur today.
Ladies have already finished - won't spoil it here.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

23 Dec 2018 18:12

Seems not even mud and though courses bother him anymore. Koppenberg really was just an offday
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

24 Dec 2018 13:15

Also pretty good result for Neff (5th).
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

25 Dec 2018 00:08

All the rest need to spend the entire 'off' season working to get closer to this guy!
jmdirt

26 Dec 2018 15:15

same old, same old.
Love this guy :)

Also, chapeau Marianne!
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

27 Dec 2018 11:52

They should do a reverse grid start for more excitement for at least 1-2 laps
IndianCyclist

27 Dec 2018 21:29

Evie Richards needs knee surgery and is out for the season. Terrible for her and a real shame we won't get to see her battle with Alvarado
postmanhat

Re:

29 Dec 2018 18:15

IndianCyclist wrote:They should do a reverse grid start for more excitement for at least 1-2 laps

I was thinking the same.
I just watched MVDP dominate, and it truly is a sight to behold.
I am not familiar with cyclo-cross, but when I watch this guy race I m reminded of the most dominant athletes in all of sports. He is Gretzky and Jordan combined.
Funny how today he just rode through the finish without a victory salute. He looked like he wanted to do another lap.
User avatar the delgados

31 Dec 2018 11:54

MVDP too good at Diegem even when he crashes into a course marshal.
Women's race (like the Azencross a few days ago) was super close and exciting though, amazing to see how Cant battled back after the first laps.

I read somewhere that Mathieu may not take part in the Worldcup race at Pont-Château due to a training camp, so Toon Aerts has a good shot at winning the whole series if he can keep Van Aert at bay.
davebqvst

Re:

02 Jan 2019 11:22

davebqvst wrote:MVDP too good at Diegem even when he crashes into a course marshal.
Women's race (like the Azencross a few days ago) was super close and exciting though, amazing to see how Cant battled back after the first laps.

I read somewhere that Mathieu may not take part in the Worldcup race at Pont-Château due to a training camp, so Toon Aerts has a good shot at winning the whole series if he can keep Van Aert at bay.

too good at gp sven nys as well. crashed on Lap 1 and behind a lot of riders, but by the end of Lap 2 in the lead.
IndianCyclist

Re: Re:

02 Jan 2019 11:59

IndianCyclist wrote:
davebqvst wrote:MVDP too good at Diegem even when he crashes into a course marshal.

too good at gp sven nys as well. crashed on Lap 1 and behind a lot of riders, but by the end of Lap 2 in the lead.

I saw that! Funny how someone mentions starting at the back of the grid and it really happens.
I thought it was all over when he went down and was passed by hordes of riders. I thought the guy would just call it a day and go home.
But no, he remounts and storms past everyone to finish a half-minute ahead of the next rider.
Awesome is the word that comes to mind. No doubt everyone is resigned to race for second place every time he enters a race.
I recently read commentary from some guy who said the races are boring. He is so dominant that the races are too predictable. I call rubbish on that. It is not very often you get to see someone so utterly dominant at their sport. Enjoy it.
User avatar the delgados

02 Jan 2019 14:21

The problem is he is the best at everything.
He has the best technical skills, which leads him to be able to create small gaps in corners, downhills or technical sections where others can't.
Then he has the best accelaration, which leads him to be able to gap the others at any given time.
Then he has the most power (though not that much more than Van Aert or Aerts, they are very close to him), which enables him to keep them at bay.

Even on a slightly worse day were Van Aert or Aerts might have more power, he can still beat them by gaining an advantage in acceleration and especially in the corners. So the time gained on non-technical parts is lost double on the technical parts.
So all in all it's really difficult to beat him for the others right now.

Only on a real hard course (Koppenberg, worlds last year), if he has a lesser day and can't make up for it on technical parts, he has a tendency to 'blow up' and then he not only loses but immediately loses minutes.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

02 Jan 2019 18:37

muddy technical course - i thought: Jolanda could do well... and WELL she did indeed. :)
MVP went through the 1/2 of the field in less than 2 rounds after the crash LOL
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

PreviousNext

Return to General