Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

04 Dec 2018 21:16

Unchained wrote:This car thing is a real American puzzler..? Why is everyone making less sedans? Because nobody is buying them..people want something else..real or perceived.versatility often mentioned..SUVs and crossovers are selling..
Ridesharing is part of the future as well as part of today's reality..are Uber and Lyft drivers picking people up in pickups..in monstrous SUV's..
It's the market not the company..
Exports..nobody else wants cars and trucks that get inferior gas mileage.resale everywhere for cars overall is lower than trucks and SUVs.
And what is Trump talking about Chinese cars??who in the U.S. is driving a Chinese car? And who in China is driving an American car? Most models of American branded cars are produced in China or Asia..?
And with the market rapidly shifting it makes sense that companies would posture and plan for any downturn..get caught w all your eggs in the huge truck and SUV manufacturing business when the U.S. demand goes down..you will look as silly as the last time car companies needed a bail out..
Here in California..where we are paying @70 cents a gallon in tax the government has been caught w it's pants down..less driving..better mileage..electric and hybrid vehicles..public transportation..carpooling and...cycling have taxes collected at the pump plummeting..
But no to ignore we still have loads of huge SUVs..trucks and gigantic luxury cars all over!!!

I have no idea. Granted we do own a pickup truck. Own one for several reasons including the fact that it's a lot easier to haul things in and as a homeowner that is really helpful. We have a small hatchback car because as a vendor I need a car that gets decent gas mileage, can haul stuff and is easy to get stuff in and out of. Our 3 car is my Monte Carlo SS (as my husband has said I bought the closest thing to a sports car I could afford). It's now 16 years old and the plastic dashboard is literally falling apart. Now the mechanics are very solid and we can take it on trips, but the plastic on the inside of the car is falling apart. As I can't afford a sports car and to replace it, I will also not downgrade, there are only 3 cars on the market I'll even consider replacing it with and those are the Mustang, Camero and Challenger. I want a 2 door sports coup and nothing else out there comes close to fitting that.
User avatar Koronin

04 Dec 2018 21:47

Are not SUV's classified as "light trucks" to avoid fuel emission and milage regulations in most states in the US? I seem to remember Bill Clinton was supposed to have allowed this as a way to help the car industry.

edit - post online search - seems pre-1999 that was true -
http://junksciencearchive.com/news/suv.html
From 1997 -
After Chrysler Corp. spent more than half a billion dollars to convert a car factory in Newark, Del., to produce big Dodge Durango sport utility vehicles, it threw a party in September to open the new assembly line. The state's political leaders stood with Chrysler's chairman on a podium decorated with red and white bunting and waved victoriously to hundreds of cheering auto workers whose jobs had been saved.

When the Durango went on sale this fall, dealers could not keep enough in stock. And Chrysler, which barely breaks even on ordinary passenger cars, began pocketing $8,000 in profit for every Durango sold.

There is just one problem: The Dodge Durango has a much worse environmental record than the full-sized sedan, the Dodge Intrepid, that the factory used to build. Its gasoline consumption and output of carbon dioxide, a principal cause of global warming, are 57 percent higher than those of the Intrepid. And the Durango's emissions of nitrogen oxides, the main cause of smog, are twice the level of the car it replaced.

If the Durango and most other sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and minivans were classified as cars, they would violate federal standards for pollution and gasoline consumption aimed at protecting the environment and conserving energy. Instead, these vehicles have long been classified as "light trucks" because they were once used mostly on farms and construction sites.
Last edited by Robert5091 on 04 Dec 2018 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

04 Dec 2018 21:51

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/asian-stocks-set-for-muted-open-curve-flattens-markets-wrap?srnd=premium-europe
The S&P 500 fell 3.2 percent to 2,700.06 as of 4:06 p.m. in New York, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 3.1 percent to 25,027.07 and the Nasdaq Composite Index eased 3.8 percent to 7,158.43.

Looks like JPMorgan's people were right ...
User avatar Robert5091

04 Dec 2018 22:50

Oh man, will this rub Trump up the wrong way - expect Twitter storm in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/4/dc-maryland-announce-subpoenas-against-trump-hotel/

Maryland and the District of Columbia announced subpoenas Tuesday to get a look at the Trump Organization’s tax returns, as part of a lawsuit claiming President Trump is violating the Constitution.

The two jurisdictions said they’re subpoenaing the Trump Organization and other parts of the president’s business empire, as well as five federal departments or agencies, demanding details of Mr. Trump’s business dealings related to his Trump International Hotel in Washington.

They are also subpoenaing 18 companies that compete with the hotel, presumably in a bid to find out whether they’ve suffered by having to win business in a market where the president of the country owns a property.

Among the demands to the Trump Organization are “all of your state and federal income tax returns, including all schedules, attachments, and other forms or supporting documentation completed or submitted with the tax returns.”

D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine and Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh are pursuing a case arguing Mr. Trump’s continued stake in the hotel means he’s earning profits, or emoluments, from foreign governments who do business there, as well as from the federal government which is leasing the building the hotel is in.
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

04 Dec 2018 23:34

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/asian-stocks-set-for-muted-open-curve-flattens-markets-wrap?srnd=premium-europe
The S&P 500 fell 3.2 percent to 2,700.06 as of 4:06 p.m. in New York, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 3.1 percent to 25,027.07 and the Nasdaq Composite Index eased 3.8 percent to 7,158.43.

Looks like JPMorgan's people were right ...

The median forecast for S&P 500 next year is still about 3 000.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

05 Dec 2018 04:38

I listened to a couple of radio reports about the stock market being spooked by some interest formulas that often accurately predict a recession..I can't find a link to what was being reported..
I have also been comforted by Lindsey Graham of all people..the things discussed about Saudi Arabia and Yemen and...murder give me hope..a sudden voice of difference from Trump..
Unchained

Re: U.S. Politics

05 Dec 2018 14:28

BullsFan22

05 Dec 2018 14:45

There have been numerous dogs at Bush about his almost compete denial of HIV -Aids and homosexuality..I really didn't remember much..but after hearing some audio of him yesterday strongly encouraging people to stop being gay if they know that there are possible deadly health consequences..it made me pause for a second and realize that w the wars he started against a religion.and Mike Pense still saying you can pray the gay away..we really haven't come that far.
Unchained

Re:

05 Dec 2018 16:24

Unchained wrote:I listened to a couple of radio reports about the stock market being spooked by some interest formulas that often accurately predict a recession..I can't find a link to what was being reported..
I have also been comforted by Lindsey Graham of all people..the things discussed about Saudi Arabia and Yemen and...murder give me hope..a sudden voice of difference from Trump..

10y-3m treasury yield spread is the main one used.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/capital_markets/Prob_Rec.pdf

I think it's at 50 something basis points now so a bit of room still left
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re:

05 Dec 2018 18:46

Unchained wrote:There have been numerous dogs at Bush about his almost compete denial of HIV -Aids and homosexuality..I really didn't remember much..but after hearing some audio of him yesterday strongly encouraging people to stop being gay if they know that there are possible deadly health consequences..it made me pause for a second and realize that w the wars he started against a religion.and Mike Pense still saying you can pray the gay away..we really haven't come that far.

I think the difference between then and now is a generation has grown up and a lot more people don't agree with that line of thinking.
User avatar Koronin

06 Dec 2018 01:21

I was only able to listen to the audio of George Bush's service. For me it was moving and beautiful. The personal reflection by all those speaking was moving to say the least. No surprise to me that the son talking about his father about broke me..the music requested by G..Herbert Walker were nice and singing and Marine orchestra was fantastic..
Unchained

Re:

06 Dec 2018 01:52

Unchained wrote:There have been numerous dogs at Bush about his almost compete denial of HIV -Aids and homosexuality..I really didn't remember much..but after hearing some audio of him yesterday strongly encouraging people to stop being gay if they know that there are possible deadly health consequences..it made me pause for a second and realize that w the wars he started against a religion.and Mike Pense still saying you can pray the gay away..we really haven't come that far.

It was mostly ignored or forgotten, but Bush Jr's greatest legacy may have been a major expansion of AIDS prevention and treatment programs in Africa. He did much more to fight the disease than either Clinton or Obama did.

https://www.history.com/news/what-was-a-george-w-bushs-greatest-achievement
Merckx index

06 Dec 2018 03:45

Have you all heard/read about that election fraud from NC district 9? Missing absentee ballots and this has been being investigated since the Republican primary. This is a link to a local Charlotte TV station with several articles about it: https://www.wsoctv.com/congressional-district-9-race
The link goes to where the articles are on the site.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

06 Dec 2018 05:45

Koronin wrote:Have you all heard/read about that election fraud from NC district 9? Missing absentee ballots and this has been being investigated since the Republican primary. This is a link to a local Charlotte TV station with several articles about it: https://www.wsoctv.com/congressional-district-9-race

This is slightly more complicated than the explanation..the absentee ballots could be mailed in a a single U.S. postage stamp..but instead people gave the ballots to somebody promising to put them in the mailbox or hand deliver them for no charge..?
Darwin's deepest principles are at work here..
Unchained

06 Dec 2018 07:59

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/officials-sent-voters-pre-election-mailer-about-ballot-rules-in-county-of-fraud-probe
Voters who requested mail-in ballots in the county that is now ground zero of a North Carolina election fraud investigation received mailers from election officials in the days before the election reminding them of the proper procedures for absentee ballots.

The mailer, titled “Absentee Voters: Know Your Rights,” informed voters that only the voters themselves or their close relatives could turn in mail-in ballots. It also gave them a number to call if someone else turned in their ballots, as well as for if someone else filled out their ballot or if they wanted to check on their ballot’s status.

“Elections officials will never come to your house to pick up your absentee ballot or tell you how to vote,” the mailer says in all caps. Absentee ballot recipients in the county have told reporters that they were approached by people who they thought were election officials offering to turn in their ballots.

A lawyer for the North Carolina State Board of Elections, which is investigating the election fraud allegations in the House race in North Carolina’s 9th District, would not say specifically what drove the board to send the mailers, which only went to absentee voter applicants in Bladen County and were sent between October 29 and November 2. (my note - somebody knew something was up as the GOP tried this trick before)

The lawyer, Joshua Lawson, did tell TPM that the mailer was not “in the normal course of our process” and that it was “to our knowledge, unprecedented.”

The mailer was posted Tuesday by the elections board in a online portal it created for evidence it is making public as part of its investigation.

The investigation appears to be focused on a local operative, Leslie McCrae Dowless, who, according to other documents posted by the board, turned in hundreds of absentee ballots. Dowless was paid by the Mark Harris campaign as a contractor hired by the campaign’s top consulting firm, the Charlotte Observer reported.

Harris, the Republican candidate in the congressional race, won in the unofficial count by less 1,000 votes. The state board has declined to certify the election and will hold a hearing later this month on its investigation. It is possible that the board will call for a new election in the race, where Harris is facing Democrat Dan McCready.

Among the irregularities that has attracted scrutiny is that Harris won 61 percent of the Bladen County’s absentee votes, even as registered Republicans made up only 19 of those voters whose mail-in ballots were accepted.

During his primary against incumbent Rep. Robert Pittenger (R), Harris won 96 percent of the absentee vote in Bladen County; in the county overall he won with 69 percent of the vote.

In 2016, Dowless was reportedly worked for the primary campaign of Todd Johnson, who was also challenging Pittenger. Johnson finished third in the race, but won 221 of 226 mail-in ballots accepted in the distric

more at https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article222363510.html
In seven of the eight counties in the 9th District, for example, McCready won a lopsided majority of the mailed-in absentee ballots. But not in Bladen County. There, Republican Mark Harris won 61 percent even though registered Republicans accounted for only 19 percent of the county’s accepted absentee ballots.

Unaffiliated voters accounted for 39 percent. Bitzer said Harris’ margin “could potentially come from all those unaffiliated voters.”

“But to have each and every one of those unaffiliated voters vote Republican, that’s pretty astonishing,” he added. “If that’s the case, there’s a very concerted effort to use that method to one candidate’s advantage. . . . But at that level there’s something else beyond a concerted effort that could be at work.”

User avatar Robert5091

06 Dec 2018 14:39

People who were too lazy or stupid not to mail their ballot in N.Carolina..don't deserve to vote..these people are another reason to see Planned Parenthood is vital to our country..anything we can do to prevent them or slow them from breeding is a national security issue..
Unchained

Re: Re:

06 Dec 2018 21:53

Unchained wrote:
Koronin wrote:Have you all heard/read about that election fraud from NC district 9? Missing absentee ballots and this has been being investigated since the Republican primary. This is a link to a local Charlotte TV station with several articles about it: https://www.wsoctv.com/congressional-district-9-race

This is slightly more complicated than the explanation..the absentee ballots could be mailed in a a single U.S. postage stamp..but instead people gave the ballots to somebody promising to put them in the mailbox or hand deliver them for no charge..?
Darwin's deepest principles are at work here..

That's why I said missing as it's an odd situation. It also goes back to the Primary.
User avatar Koronin

07 Dec 2018 07:10

The Kochs go to Blighty -
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/07/us-billionaires-hard-right-britain-spiked-magazine-charles-david-koch-foundation
The Kochs’ chief political lieutenant, Richard Fink, developed what he called a three-stage model of social change. Universities would produce “the intellectual raw materials”. Thinktanks would transform them into “a more practical or usable form”. Then “citizen activist” groups would “press for the implementation of policy change”. To these ends the Kochs set up bodies in all three categories themselves, such as the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, the Cato Institute and the “citizens’ group” Americans for Prosperity. But for the most part they funded existing organisations that met their criteria. They have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into a network of academic departments, thinktanks, journals and movements. And they appear to have been remarkably successful.

As researchers at Harvard and Columbia universities have found, Americans for Prosperity alone now rivals the Republican party in terms of size, staffing and organisational capacity.
Until now, there has been no evidence that Charles and David Koch have funded organisations based in the UK. But a few weeks ago, a reader pointed me to one line he found in a form submitted to the US government by the Charles Koch Foundation, which showed money transferred to a company that appears to be the US funding arm of a UK organisation.

The organisation the Charles Koch Foundation has chosen to fund is at first sight astounding: a US organisation established by an obscure UK-based magazine run by former members of a tiny Trotskyite splinter group. Some of its core contributors still describe themselves as Marxists or Bolsheviks. But the harder you look at it, the more sense the Koch donations appear to make. The name of the magazine is Spiked.

Spiked magazine, edited by O’Neill, appears to hate leftwing politics. It inveighs against the welfare state, against regulation, the Occupy movement, anti-capitalists, Jeremy Corbyn, George Soros, #MeToo, “black privilege” and Black Lives Matter. It does so in the name of the “ordinary people”, whom, it claims, are oppressed by the “anti-Trump and anti-Brexit cultural elites”, “feministic elites”, “green elites” and “cosmopolitan politicians”.
User avatar Robert5091

07 Dec 2018 14:19

Get the popcorn handy -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-07/trump-attacks-rosenstein-as-conflicted-as-mueller-filings-loom
Donald Trump lashed out at Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as “totally conflicted” in a barrage of tweets Friday only hours before Special Counsel Robert Mueller is set to reveal new details of his investigation.
The president’s latest broadside comes as Mueller’s team is set to reveal more information Friday on two fronts: a sentencing memo outlining the degree of cooperation that Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen has given to prosecutors and a separate filing in the case of former campaign chairman Paul Manafort that could to shed new light on allegations that Manafort lied to Mueller’s team following his guilty plea.
User avatar Robert5091

07 Dec 2018 18:10

Apparently there is a 2nd county in NC District 9 that has irregularities that have been uncovered.

And then we get this out of Raleigh. FBI agents raid north Raleigh mansion in international murder-for-hire, bribery plot : https://www.wral.com/fbi-agents-raid-north-raleigh-mansion-in-international-murder-for-hire-bribery-plot/18044765/
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to General