Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Feb 2019 15:15

So do we believe Trump or Trump? Is it an emergency or hours later just an action to expedite wall construction? When Trump initially stood and said his actions were absolutely necessary or a short time later, Trump says"I didn't need to do this ".
So when an emergency takes place a typical reaction is to take a long golf weekend?
Trump outraged again over another book release tour this time it is McCabe saying Trump repeated that he finds Putin credible rather than the law enforcement agencies that protect us.
In Trump's emergency proclamation he says he has personal rather than professional statistics that make his case..how in the world could Congress..both parties not want to know what numbers, what intelligence information Trump is using to make decisions..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

18 Feb 2019 16:47

Unchained wrote:So do we believe Trump or Trump? Is it an emergency or hours later just an action to expedite wall construction? When Trump initially stood and said his actions were absolutely necessary or a short time later, Trump says"I didn't need to do this ".
So when an emergency takes place a typical reaction is to take a long golf weekend?
Trump outraged again over another book release tour this time it is McCabe saying Trump repeated that he finds Putin credible rather than the law enforcement agencies that protect us.
In Trump's emergency proclamation he says he has personal rather than professional statistics that make his case..how in the world could Congress..both parties not want to know what numbers, what intelligence information Trump is using to make decisions..


I love it when trump is unscripted, says stoopid shite in person or on twitter.
national EMERGENCY..but....
Arrest Mueller!
Hammer NBC cuz Alec is mean to me!

Plus I believe putin, kim and rush more than my own administration about 'stats', like % of drugs that come overland vs thru points of entry..'NOT points of entry, that's a lie'..he said..he lies so easily to the American people and the GOP in congress are sheep..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,232
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

18 Feb 2019 23:25

How long before new attorney general William Barr pulls plug on Mueller probe? A week?
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,445
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

19 Feb 2019 02:56

jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,597
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

19 Feb 2019 03:15

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Unchained wrote:So do we believe Trump or Trump? Is it an emergency or hours later just an action to expedite wall construction? When Trump initially stood and said his actions were absolutely necessary or a short time later, Trump says"I didn't need to do this ".
So when an emergency takes place a typical reaction is to take a long golf weekend?
Trump outraged again over another book release tour this time it is McCabe saying Trump repeated that he finds Putin credible rather than the law enforcement agencies that protect us.
In Trump's emergency proclamation he says he has personal rather than professional statistics that make his case..how in the world could Congress..both parties not want to know what numbers, what intelligence information Trump is using to make decisions..


I love it when trump is unscripted, says stoopid shite in person or on twitter.
national EMERGENCY..but....
Arrest Mueller!
Hammer NBC cuz Alec is mean to me!

Plus I believe putin, kim and rush more than my own administration about 'stats', like % of drugs that come overland vs thru points of entry..'NOT points of entry, that's a lie'..he said..he lies so easily to the American people and the GOP in congress are sheep..

I know he comes across as being thick-as-sh*t, but I can't help but think the above is some distraction to something else going on - either by him or his string-pullers... I don't trust him/them at all
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,828
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

Re:

19 Feb 2019 03:18

jmdirt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNSRWpEfPMk

While I find this man compelling..his confidence, grasp of facts..numbers he stands behind..
I don't think many Trump supporters are hearing anything..not from this gentleman or anybody else.
One message Trump did get was cross border trade..he talks lots of trash but when border elected officials and other trade experts schooled him on the dollar value of trade and who tourists are in America..suddenly Mexicans are not the bad guy.
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

19 Feb 2019 03:46

aphronesis wrote:https://www.truthdig.com/articles/worshipping-the-electronic-image/

forget the old debates as to whether it'll be a brave new world or 1984 (or even Asimov's caves of steel), it's looking very much like Idiocracy will be the prevailing direction
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,828
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

Re:

19 Feb 2019 08:01

macbindle wrote:Jesse Jackson: 'Hate and violence are raining down on our country'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/02/jesse-jackson-interview-jussie-smollett-hate-violence-us?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

So Smollet's masked attackers, whilst tying a noose around his head, shouted "This is MAGA country".

Don't suggest to them they might be fascists though. It might push them towards extremism ;)


Yeah, I don't think they were fascists ;)
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,045
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

19 Feb 2019 08:22

:lol: Yeah, I expect you think they were "classic liberals", which is the euphemism the far right is using currently.

Having watched a number of Peterson and Harris videos, my YouTube page is now flooded with the sort of sh1te you watch. I see where you get all your ideas from. One of the many ideas you don't get is entryism.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,431
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re:

19 Feb 2019 09:03

macbindle wrote::lol: Yeah, I expect you think they were "classic liberals", which is the euphemism the far right is using currently.

Having watched a number of Peterson and Harris videos, my YouTube page is now flooded with the sort of sh1te you watch. I see where you get all your ideas from.
.


Strange response. Have you heard anything about Smolette in the last week?

Basically, it was the wrong example for you to use to try to beat me over the head about how wrong I am to question the rising fascism in the US narrative.

In fact its kind of the opposite. Shows more the fabricated hysteria side to this "rising far right fascist American" boogeyman. :o

But you want to talk about Harris and Peterson more all of a sudden? And then you try to bait me by calling classical liberals far right? All in such a short post? It's almost as if you were trying to push exactly the right buttons that would annoy. Thrown into a mini grenade instead of addressing the incident.

And I get it. You do not want talk about Smolette. :lol:
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,045
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

19 Feb 2019 09:19

The Hitch wrote:
macbindle wrote::lol: Yeah, I expect you think they were "classic liberals", which is the euphemism the far right is using currently.

Having watched a number of Peterson and Harris videos, my YouTube page is now flooded with the sort of sh1te you watch. I see where you get all your ideas from.
.


Strange response. Have you heard anything about Smolette in the last week?

Basically, it was the wrong example for you to use to try to beat me over the head about how wrong I am to question the rising fascism in the US narrative.

In fact its kind of the opposite. Shows more the fabricated hysteria side to this "rising far right fascist American" boogeyman. :o

But you want to talk about Harris and Peterson more all of a sudden? And then you try to bait me by calling classical liberals far right? All in such a short post? It's almost as if you were trying to push exactly the right buttons that would annoy. Thrown into a mini grenade instead of addressing the incident.

And I get it. You do not want talk about Smolette. :lol:



Ok, I've just had a hunt and found out that the police suspect Smollet may have staged the attack.

Guess what? The point still stands. None of that contradicts anything I have said except, possibly, the specific incident of Smollet. You'll find that hard to understand, I know, because in your mind this now means Charlottesville didn't happen.

To the bolded: You see this is exactly the sort of logical fallacy you make all of the time. I have not said "classical liberals" are far-right.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,431
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

19 Feb 2019 10:58

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/18/trump-venezuela-nicolas-maduro-juan-guaido
In his condemnation of “the horrors of socialism and communism”, which he said had produced “a nightmare of poverty, hunger and death”, Trump was also looking to draw a contrast with the policies of progressive Democrats, which he calls socialist, as he gears up for the 2020 election.

“Years of socialist rule have brought this once thriving nation to the brink of ruin,” he said, saying the Venezuelan government had suppressed the press, ruined the economy and destroyed the rule of law.


"Vote for me or we'll end up like Venzuela".Good grief :(
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Don't mention Khashoggi! It’s a collusion witch hoax!
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,445
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

19 Feb 2019 11:19

macbindle wrote:
The Hitch wrote:
macbindle wrote::lol: Yeah, I expect you think they were "classic liberals", which is the euphemism the far right is using currently.

Having watched a number of Peterson and Harris videos, my YouTube page is now flooded with the sort of sh1te you watch. I see where you get all your ideas from.
.


Strange response. Have you heard anything about Smolette in the last week?

Basically, it was the wrong example for you to use to try to beat me over the head about how wrong I am to question the rising fascism in the US narrative.

In fact its kind of the opposite. Shows more the fabricated hysteria side to this "rising far right fascist American" boogeyman. :o

But you want to talk about Harris and Peterson more all of a sudden? And then you try to bait me by calling classical liberals far right? All in such a short post? It's almost as if you were trying to push exactly the right buttons that would annoy. Thrown into a mini grenade instead of addressing the incident.

And I get it. You do not want talk about Smolette. :lol:



Ok, I've just had a hunt and found out that the police suspect Smollet may have staged the attack.

Guess what? The point still stands. None of that contradicts anything I have said except, possibly, the specific incident of Smollet. You'll find that hard to understand, I know, because in your mind this now means Charlottesville didn't happen.

To the bolded: You see this is exactly the sort of logical fallacy you make all of the time. I have not said "classical liberals" are far-right.


Ah so, your most recent example of how fascists are taking over America, gets totally debunked, and you settle back to one from 2 years ago.

But yes, the new information that the attack was a hoax didn't change anything :cool:

It is very interesting though that you didn't hear about the facts on this story, just got outraged. Almost like you only pay attention to one side?

Perhaps that happens more than you think? That the headline you read in the Guardian that gets you outraged and seek to throw accusations and blame at people you don't know, doesn't tell the full story.

Covington for example.
If you can bring yourself to read an article about Smolett lying, maybe you can also muster up the courage to watch the Covington video and ask yourself if the accusations you levelled at children shouting "build the wall" and approaching a man with racist intentions, conform to what actually happened there.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 29,045
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

19 Feb 2019 11:30

Smollet came up purely because I linked to a piece by Jesse Jackson about the rise of the far right in the US and the role Trump has played in this.

Do you think Jackson based his entire premise on the Smollet story?

No, neither do I, which is why nothing has changed with the possibility that Smollet lied.

By the way, I didn't get "outraged". I know this is a tactic of those on the right, seeking to infantilise discussion to an emotional level.

You start with your post with yet another exaggeration of my position, that "fascists are taking over the US". In other words a straw man to add to the collection. It's the hallmark of poor debating. Dishonest, in fact.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,431
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

19 Feb 2019 12:35

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YvU0TfVt4

What Trump doesn't want you to see
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

19 Feb 2019 13:39

Fascists are taking over the US? Who knew.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/america-has-a-lot-to-learn-from-the-roman-empires-fall/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/15/world-historical-donald-unwitting-and-unwilling-author-of-the-green-new-deal/

Hey anyone think there will be some version of the Green New deal and the inexorable slide into corporate anarchy?

Wild right?
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47


Re:

19 Feb 2019 14:59



I take back everything I said. Red Flanders is right....There is a problem with suppression of free speech in US academia.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,431
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

19 Feb 2019 15:01

Of course there is. But is taking to Twitter really performing a public good. Or just a seemingly convenient mode of self-expression.

Calling others “awful people” rather than trying educate them may not be the best route.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47

Re: Re:

19 Feb 2019 15:19

macbindle wrote:


I take back everything I said. Red Flanders is right....There is a problem with suppression of free speech in US academia.

Do you have any idea about government changes to Texas and Louisiana primary school text books? I am taking your to mean higher education but your concern, should be that kids are not be taught very very narrow science..they have books that have purposefully removed all references to Hillary Clinton..so if a kid wants to know who was the first lady,governors wife, Secretary of state, female candidate for President..
In Texas plain stupidity
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/texas-votes-to-remove-hillary-clinton-helen-keller-from-curriculum.html
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Back to top