Register

Nairo Quintana discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

15 Mar 2019 11:10

Honestly I don't think Quintana at 25/1 is value and the problem isn't Quintana.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Re:

15 Mar 2019 17:17

Dukerojo wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I think switching trainer was a good move and also staying away from all the political drama from the Colombian cycling federation

That's is usually a good idea for any of the cyclists.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

16 Mar 2019 08:38

DNP-Old wrote:At the beginning of the year it was announced he would by trained by Michele Bartoli this year and, as far as we can say, he looks better. It’s only Paris - Nice and he always had a very high floor, but he has been very good. Surviving echelons on his ones, very respectable timetrial on par with Kelderman and Jungels. I’m curious about his performance on Turini and if he still has it in him to reach that peak come July. Like they said in The Godfather; just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

One thing with Quintana is its close to impossible to use that as indications. Take last year's Tour as an example - great first nice days including the cobbled stage where he was insanely good, but average in the mountains the day after. The time trial in RdS in 2016, pretty sure he was gonna win TdF that year, average in the mountains.

I wanna see Quintana climb really, really well first
"Es el mejor con y sin" - someone very bright on Valverde.
Purito, Valv and Conta <3
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 09:29

Valv.Piti wrote:

One thing with Quintana is its close to impossible to use that as indications. Take last year's Tour as an example - great first nice days including the cobbled stage where he was insanely good, but average in the mountains the day after. The time trial in RdS in 2016, pretty sure he was gonna win TdF that year, average in the mountains.

Maybe he should shift his focus to flat and cobbled races.
User avatar tobydawq

16 Mar 2019 09:46

Valv.Piti wrote:

Surviving the cobbles doesn't mean that much for the form. It's also due to form, and I think having a big day on the cobbles 2 days before the mountains had a worse effect on the teeny tiny climbers than on the bigger climbers. Nibali crashed on the cobbles and was dead La Rosiere. Roglic survived the cobbles with a stone in his elbow and he got dropped on both MTFs in the Alps.

I think he just was too good too early in 2016.

Quintana was comfortably the best on Col de Portet. Then he crashed. I don't put too much stock in the Vuelta cause I think it was just too much at that point.

He's had 2 disappointing years, and now he's getting a year full of **** routes for him. Nothing you can do about that. Kick some *** in the mountains and pray a miracle should probably be the plan.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Mar 2019 12:57

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:

Surviving the cobbles doesn't mean that much for the form. It's also due to form, and I think having a big day on the cobbles 2 days before the mountains had a worse effect on the teeny tiny climbers than on the bigger climbers. Nibali crashed on the cobbles and was dead La Rosiere. Roglic survived the cobbles with a stone in his elbow and he got dropped on both MTFs in the Alps.

I think he just was too good too early in 2016.

Quintana was comfortably the best on Col de Portet. Then he crashed. I don't put too much stock in the Vuelta cause I think it was just too much at that point.

He's had 2 disappointing years, and now he's getting a year full of **** routes for him. Nothing you can do about that. Kick some *** in the mountains and pray a miracle should probably be the plan.

Quintana hasn't put in a dominant climbing performance in a grand tour since the 2014 Giro. I have doubts he will ever win another. Dumoulin is more of a threat to Froome now and has been for the past two seasons. There has to be doubts about Bardet ever winning a GT as well. Pinot would get more mileage from stage hunting and all have similar issues........the time trial. Quintana though has been nowhere near his best climbing form which gives him even less chance.
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 13:08

Yes, Quintana has put in dominant climbing performances in GTs after 2014, in fact in every year.

2015 on La Toussuire and Alpe d' Huez (TdF).
2016 in La Vuelta on Covadonga and just shutting Froome down on the major MTFs (Vuelta).
2017 on Blockhaus (Giro).
2018 on Col de Portet (TdF).
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 15:58

Really great Paris-Nice so far, the only rider going faster is basically god on a bike.

He should get 2nd overall here unless Gilbert just goes bananas. At this point, he is still Movistar's best bet at TdF with a longshot. Lets see if he can replicate his Basque Country win in 2013 in a few weeks.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 16:21

Kinda sad he didn't try to beat Bernal. It's not like he would've been risking much.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Mar 2019 16:33

Attacking Bernal after Sosa killed everyone, including himself, was simply impossible. This was vintage Sky.
User avatar AlexNYC

Re:

16 Mar 2019 16:43

AlexNYC wrote:Attacking Bernal after Sosa killed everyone, including himself, was simply impossible. This was vintage Sky.

They were obviously going super slow to save Kwiat. If Kwiat doesn't drop Quintana sits on his good legs all the way until he's still behind Kwiat in the GC on top of the Turini.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

16 Mar 2019 17:11

Red Rick wrote:
They were obviously going super slow to save Kwiat.

That's obviously nonsense. Riders were dropping like flies, even before Sosa took over. Sky was hammering it, that's why Kwiatek was dropped.
User avatar fauniera

16 Mar 2019 18:31

When Sosa took over he killed everyone. It looked like everyone was empty.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

16 Mar 2019 23:01

Valv.Piti wrote:Yes, Quintana has put in dominant climbing performances in GTs after 2014, in fact in every year.

2016 in La Vuelta on Covadonga and just shutting Froome down on the major MTFs (Vuelta).

I mean for a whole grand tour. He's supposed to be a GC rider not a stage hunter. He rode well in the Vuelta he won and the 2015 Tour but he never dominated. Contador's break was the turning point of the 2016 Vuelta and Froome never really looked like losing the Tour.
movingtarget
Veteran

16 Mar 2019 23:17

movingtarget wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Yes, Quintana has put in dominant climbing performances in GTs after 2014, in fact in every year.

I mean for a whole grand tour. He's supposed to be a GC rider not a stage hunter. He rode well in the Vuelta he won and the 2015 Tour but he never dominated. Contador's break was the turning point of the 2016 Vuelta and Froome never really looked like losing the Tour.

2015 Tour was his best GT. Without Contador's ambush in the 2016 Vuelta, Froome wins that Vuelta.
User avatar Koronin

17 Mar 2019 13:12

Koronin wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

2015 Tour was his best GT. Without Contador's ambush in the 2016 Vuelta, Froome wins that Vuelta.

Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the way that Contador rode in the 2016 Vuelta, and generally, I don't think that he can be given all the credit for that breakaway. Quintana rode really well as well and was able to keep riding at the end of the stage when Contador couldn't. A huge amount of credit had to be given to the team mates of both of the big riders who rode their socks off in support of their team leaders. Movistar disrupting the chase and ensuring that most of the Sky Team couldn't get back on was also a big part of the whole move. One of the Grand Tour Stages I can watch form start to finish again and again.
User avatar mariposa

17 Mar 2019 16:03

mariposa wrote:
Koronin wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the way that Contador rode in the 2016 Vuelta, and generally, I don't think that he can be given all the credit for that breakaway. Quintana rode really well as well and was able to keep riding at the end of the stage when Contador couldn't. A huge amount of credit had to be given to the team mates of both of the big riders who rode their socks off in support of their team leaders. Movistar disrupting the chase and ensuring that most of the Sky Team couldn't get back on was also a big part of the whole move. One of the Grand Tour Stages I can watch form start to finish again and again.

Contador was pulling 10 to 1 compared Quintana in that break, which led to the end result
Scarponi

17 Mar 2019 16:08

mariposa wrote:
Koronin wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Before that stage started there was a discussion between Valverde and Contador in which they were ensuring no one else could hear/see what they were talking about. So it does seem that was very much planned and more than likely was Contador's idea. He just needed to find someone he could trust to help him carry it out. In the end it didn't really work out fully the way Contador had hoped for himself. However it was one of the best GT stages that is easily watchable over and over. I still believe without that ambush (which Contador and Valverde pulled again the following year at Catalonia) Quintana doesn't win that Vuelta.
User avatar Koronin

17 Mar 2019 16:34

Very encouraging week where he did really well on all terrains. For now it’s just a spark, but let’s hope it’s turned out to be a sign of what’s yet to come in July. But his first real test under Bartoli’s training was a positive.
User avatar DNP-Old

17 Mar 2019 17:09

The TDF will give a true guide as to the state of Quintana's true form - He will never find a better route with so many high altitude metres - He should podium.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing