Register

Doping in Soccer/Football

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

31 Oct 2009 18:42

poupou wrote:There is much more EPO produced than used by medical (professionals). All riders of the world could never use that black EPO.
Who are using it? Ski-runner are few like many other sports. Only football has enough pro player to afford a such consumption.

D!ck Pound noted in one of his books that there was something like 70% overproduction of EPO between about 1995 and 2005. Meaning, all the EPO used to treat cancer, anemia, etc. by medical professionals for what the drug was designed, only accounted for about 30% of what was manufactured. The rest of it going...well, you probably know where it went.

As Kelvedon noted, there is an incredible amount of money at stake in football worldwide, it's in the interests of FIFA to not go hard after the players, but merely make sure the playing field is fairly even, and no one drops dead right on the pitch.

Of course we can look beyond football and tennis. Does anyone really think there are no steroids used anymore in baseball, now that the Mitchell Report has been released, and there is more testing? Or that the NFL is clean with no one using steroids, HGH, etc. because they started testing more in 2006? The list goes on.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

01 Nov 2009 11:50

The mo' money, the mo' problems

They just chose to sweep it under the carpet instead of taking the fight.
sida-mot

01 Nov 2009 16:27

Professional football has changed completely in the last 20 years. Footballers used to normal looking skinny dudes, now guys like C. Ronaldo are incredibly fast and strong, which takes him from a very good player into a truly exceptional one. Improved training and all that, but the next logical step.....

Don't even get me started on rugby. They are absolutely HUGE nowadays.
User avatar Ibanez

02 Nov 2009 18:14

Don't even get me started on rugby. They are absolutely HUGE nowadays.

Do you know what our NFL players look like? Also it is not such a taboo in American football and is almost expected with the heavy demands an NFL player's body takes. Even when I was playing in high school I knew kids that were taking legal stuff that is banned in cycling, but can be bought at your local GNC. It is just engraved in the sport. When Shawne Merriman got busted a few years ago it just wasn't that big of a deal. He got like a four game suspension and lost his spot in the Pro Bowl. What would have happened if he rode a bike?
Clemson Cycling

02 Nov 2009 23:55

Back in the 1970's the average sized lineman in the NFL was almost the same size as a linebacker today. And everyone is now much faster. It's just astounding. In 1985 William "Refrigerator" Perry was possibly the biggest player in history at that time. Now, he would be merely of average size for his position.

People in baseball often hate Jose Canseco for spilling the beans. He's a self-serving as[color="Black"]s[/color], that's for sure, but pretty much everything he said came true, in an uncanny way. Don't like Jose? The late Ken Camenetti was a much nicer guy, despite a drug problem, and said at least 50% of players in MLB were on steroids. He probably underestimated.

I'm as against doping in cycling as anyone, but let's keep our eyes on the whole picture here. No one really thinks all these sports are clean, do they?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

03 Nov 2009 06:25

William "Refrigerator" Perry

Clemson Grad haha. Some performance enhancing drugs make some sports better and in some cases make your body healthier.
People in baseball often hate Jose Canseco for spilling the beans. He's a self-serving ***, that's for sure, but pretty much everything he said came true, in an uncanny way. Don't like Jose? The late Ken Camenetti was a much nicer guy, despite a drug problem, and said at least 50% of players in MLB were on steroids. He probably underestimated.

You don't ever rat out a fellow athlete in your sport no matter the situation (al la Low Life Lemond). You can address the situation as a whole just don't name names.
Clemson Cycling

03 Nov 2009 06:57

Clemson Cycling wrote:Clemson Grad haha. Some performance enhancing drugs make some sports better and in some cases make your body healthier.

You don't ever rat out a fellow athlete in your sport no matter the situation (al la Low Life Lemond). You can address the situation as a whole just don't name names.

Bull effing $hit. Those are the Mafia's rules.
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

03 Nov 2009 09:13

Hugh Januss wrote:Bull effing $hit. Those are the Mafia's rules.

I couldn't agree more. There's no hope of defeating doping unless the code of silence among the athletes is broken.
journalguy

03 Nov 2009 13:11

Clemson Cycling wrote:You don't ever rat out a fellow athlete in your sport no matter the situation (al la Low Life Lemond). You can address the situation as a whole just don't name names.

Are you saying that? Or are you giving an example from an omerta rider's POV?

I hope it's the second
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

03 Nov 2009 15:37

luckyboy wrote:Are you saying that? Or are you giving an example from an omerta rider's POV?

I hope it's the second

You don't ever rat out an athlete in the sport you compete in. How would you feel if Frank Lampard started calling out Andrei Arshavin and Tomáš Rosický for doping up. Or Robin van Persie starting calling out Didier Drogba and Michael Essien for taking steroids. Out of respect it is not something you do (in public anyway). Or how about Alan Shearer calling out Steve Gerrard and Wayne Rooney with proof they are doping right before the World Cup starts next year?
Clemson Cycling

03 Nov 2009 16:32

Well, if it can prevent what happened to VDB, Marco, Jiminez, Fois, Dajka, Gelfi, Claveyrolat, Vincente Lopez-Carril, Marc de Meyer, Bert Oosterbosch, Joachim Halopczok, Paul Haghedooren and Connie Meije, I'm all for it.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

03 Nov 2009 17:04

Clemson Cycling wrote:You don't ever rat out an athlete in the sport you compete in. How would you feel if Frank Lampard started calling out Andrei Arshavin and Tomáš Rosický for doping up. Or Robin van Persie starting calling out Didier Drogba and Michael Essien for taking steroids. Out of respect it is not something you do (in public anyway). Or how about Alan Shearer calling out Steve Gerrard and Wayne Rooney with proof they are doping right before the World Cup starts next year?

what you don't do out of respect is cheat your opponents and teammates

if stevie me and rooney are doping, then i think people would have a problem with them for putting themselves in a position where they could miss the world cup, not with shearer for grassing on them when he has proof

ffs :rolleyes:
User avatar workingclasshero

20 Feb 2012 14:56

Barca is using HGH

http://www.irishpeloton.com/2012/02/drugs-in-football-pull-the-other-one/

Perhaps the most interesting part is how they appear to not think the rules apply to them
User avatar Race Radio
Veteran

20 Feb 2012 15:08

Race Radio wrote:Barca is using HGH

Perhaps the most interesting part is how they appear to not think the rules apply to them

you can be sure all the top teams are using HGH not just Barca.

The recovery of players from injury is so quick that it cannot be through legal methods.
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

20 Feb 2012 15:12

Clemson Cycling wrote:
You don't ever rat out a fellow athlete

I disagree. You are completely out of touch with sport and the rules by which it means to compete.

You seem to have an attitude very similar to a crime gang, but even they rat out each other.

Greg LeMond never ratted anyone out.

David Millar did, but we don't see you posting anything derogatory about him! is that because he doesn't bad mouth Armstrong?
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

20 Feb 2012 16:08

Race Radio wrote:Barca is using HGH

lovely, and wicked at the same time. The author of the article/blog is really spot on with everything he says.

I remember Xavi in some recent interview (I believe after Mourinho had openly accused barca of doping) "No nos dopamos. Los que lo dicen no saben nada. No tienen ni pruebas ni nada".
I really think they don't have a clue.

By the way, yes, meanwhile, most clubs are probably on HGH.
Teams like Barca probably benefit the most, teams that already have a surplus of skilled players and only need to improve in terms of physical strength and fitness.
Players like Xavi, Messi, Iniesta.
With the right mixture you turn them into football gods.
sniper
Veteran

20 Feb 2012 20:53

I particularly like how the journalist doesn't even bat an eyelid when he states it, and then he answers "yes" under his breath before the host has even finished asking if that's actually allowed.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

20 Feb 2012 21:41

Libertine Seguros wrote:I particularly like how the journalist doesn't even bat an eyelid when he states it, and then he answers "yes" under his breath before the host has even finished asking if that's actually allowed.

To be fair, I think that was Ken Early the co-host who muttered that under his breath.

The fact that a reputedly respectable reporter can sit on this and not give a ****e is just frankly unbelievable. And people think cycling has problems? I've tried explaining to my football fan friends the differences between the sports, here's what I usually trot out....

Cycling is only in the current state it's in now due to the result of police busts and investigations (Festina etc.) which forced the UCI into tackling the problem. If the police hadn't done the dirty work, the UCI would have happily trundled along complicit in its willful ignorance. But drugs were found and the sport had to face this problem. This is why now we have a case like Contador getting caught for such infinitesimal amounts of clenbuterol, because the doping controls have become so strict as a result.

Football has never had one of these watershed moments where it has been forced (by the result of a police investigation or otherwise) to face up to its doping problems. A scenario came close with the Juventus stuff a few years back, but ultimately fizzled out as the statute of limitations came to the rescue. But generally, football is, as cycling was, happy to leave the problem unacknowledged so nobody has to deal with the aftermath.

Football most likely will never see a 'Festina' scenario realised. Footballers all live and train close to a stadium. Cyclists live everywhere. Football matches take place in a stadium, cycling races take place everywhere.

The chances of a Willy Voet getting caught transporting drugs in a sport like football are very very low because the environment the sport takes place in is so protected and controlled. Cycling is different. So cycling paid the price...
irishpeloton

21 Feb 2012 01:28

On the + side, i can't wait for the French "Guignols" show to get their hands on xavi:D
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

21 Feb 2012 06:48

luckyboy wrote:Just wanted to hear some people's opinions on this. I mean, we have all heard of two big Spanish teams being linked to OP, and team/s in Italy with their masses of legal drugs. But how widespread do people think it is in football/soccer? Try as I might, I can't imagine Fulham or Wigan players injecting themselves with whatever before a match.

(I don't think there is a thread on this, but I apologise if there has been - the only other sports I have seen talked about in any depth are US football and baseball.)

Even at the level there are players on 50k per week and a shot of hgh is nothing, the cost of relegation is massive.
nevada

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic