Register

Cancellara's risky bet - focus on LBL, Lombardia...

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

02 Nov 2010 21:40

nobilis wrote:What surprised me more is when he stated that the reason behind him leaving Saxo Bank was Contador and the change of focus in the team. During the Schleck period, the whole team was dedicated to the 2 brothers and not Cancellara, so the arrival of Contador wouldn't have changed the way the team operates. So it's not the real reason for leaving Saxo IMO.

The classic team was entirely focused on Cancellara even in all the Schleck years. The problem is that all his close friends left and the new hirings were all clearly targeted to be GT helpers for AC and a pretty weak squad in support of Spartacus. However, I would have loved to see AC and FC in best form riding a team trial... wasn't supposed to be...

El Pistolero wrote:Hope he fails, that's all I can say lol.

sad. says a lot about you. enviousness, jealousy malicious joy... don't know how this makes some people happy...
la.margna

02 Nov 2010 21:44

NickBVK wrote:They can keep doing those accelerations, especially up hills - leaving Canc behind.

I can't wait for the 2001 accelerations, from whoever they shall come... but as we know FC, if he targets something he is serious about it... remember Mendrisio uphill accelerations... clash of the titans... will be fun to watch Gilbert, FC and all the guys going for all...
la.margna

02 Nov 2010 21:45

User avatar jens_attacks

02 Nov 2010 21:47

la.margna wrote:The classic team was entirely focused on Cancellara even in all the Schleck years. The problem is that all his close friends left and the new hirings were all clearly targeted to be GT helpers for AC and a pretty weak squad in support of Spartacus. However, I would have loved to see AC and FC in best form riding a team trial... wasn't supposed to be...

sad. says a lot about you. enviousness, jealousy malicious joy... don't know how this makes some people happy...

So every guy that is a fan of another cyclist is sad according to you :)

Who the hell wants his fav cyclist to lose? Smart ***.

I'm not going to make a secret about the fact I'd much rather see Gilbert finally winning Luik than Cancellara. If Gilbert wouldn't enter LBL I would probably root for Cancellara anyway.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Nov 2010 21:56

El Pistolero wrote:So every guy that is a fan of another cyclist is sad according to you :)

stay with the truth and the facts and don't turn my words around to create a lie... are you a journalist? :D

El Pistolero wrote:Smart ***.

says also again a lot about you.

El Pistolero wrote: I'm not going to make a secret about the fact I'd much rather see Gilbert finally winning Luik than Cancellara. If Gilbert wouldn't enter LBL I would probably root for Cancellara anyway.

If you prefer Gilbert to win, that's fair and your right, no worries, everybody shall want his favourite to win. I like Gilbert's way to ride and attack. But hoping that somebody fails at something and enjoying it, that's entirely different, has no class and is pretty poor...

la.margna

02 Nov 2010 22:00

la.margna wrote:stay with the truth and the facts and don't turn my words around to create a lie... are you a journalist? :D

says also again a lot about you.

If you prefer Gilbert to win, that's fair and your right, no worries, everybody shall want his favourite to win. I like Gilbert's way to ride and attack. But hoping that somebody fails at something and enjoying it, that's entirely different, has no class and is pretty poor...

I would enjoy the fact that Gilbert wins, not the fact that Canc loses ;)

I never said I enjoy to see Cancellara lose though :) People know here I'm a (big) Gilbert fan, so most will know what I meant.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Nov 2010 22:17

El Pistolero wrote:I would enjoy the fact that Gilbert wins, not the fact that Canc loses ;)

I never said I enjoy to see Cancellara lose though :) People know here I'm a (big) Gilbert fan, so most will know what I meant.

ok, now I can go to bed in peace! :)
yeah, they both rock, unfortunately, only one of them can win...
la.margna

02 Nov 2010 22:52

I think is good that Cance is seeking new challenges & perhaps begin to aim for different races than the Cobbles Classics & ITT. He's a very unique rider whose physical qualities can take him ever farther if he's willing to shape it for more challenging races. I'd love to see him at least once in his career to go for a Paris-Nice or Dauphine with the lowest weight ever attainable and see what he's capable of....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

02 Nov 2010 23:15

Very risky Fabian...Cadel will win Liege and Gilbert will win lombardie...Should stick to the cobbled classics.
blaxland

02 Nov 2010 23:18

The question that imediately comes to my mind is how this will work out with Canc on the team of the Schlecks, either of whom could target the same races.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

03 Nov 2010 01:29

NickBVK wrote:I understand him wanting the Monuments etc but I really don't think he'll be able to match some of the guys like Vino, Evans, Gilbert etc.

They can keep doing those accelerations, especially up hills - leaving Canc behind.

This, unfortunately.

I'm very upset. Spartacus vs. Boonen on the stones is worth three LBLs. I have never actually jumped up and down screaming in front of a TV before. It happened several times during Flanders.

On the plus side, who in the PR field can now ride away from and sustain a ridiculous gap over the other favorites? (Pro-tip: it's not Pippo. ;))

EDIT: "Jumped up and down screaming" should read "jumped up and down shouting." Say what you will, I *loved* that race.
User avatar mr. tibbs

03 Nov 2010 02:12

79kg is still a lot for a rider who wants to do well in the hilly races
User avatar roundabout

03 Nov 2010 02:21

roundabout wrote:79kg is still a lot for a rider who wants to do well in the hilly races

Don't tell that to Eddy.
User avatar Willy_Voet

03 Nov 2010 02:31

roundabout wrote:79kg is still a lot for a rider who wants to do well in the hilly races

Canc is not your average rider though...
Weight is really relative for different riders/builds. I can garauntee you that 79kg is a lot lighter relatively speaking for Canc than it is for A Shleck or Evans. He may not be as light as them but being lighter will still improve his performance on the climbs.
User avatar royalpig180

03 Nov 2010 07:34

Cancellara isn't focussing on Liège, he is skipping PR & RVV because he's fearing Boonen's wrath after Tom's defeat this year. :p

Honestly, Cancellara is an example of a true sportsman who sets new goals every year, searching for his own physical limits. But I don't think he'll pull this one off.
User avatar il_fiammingo

03 Nov 2010 08:33

Well, he was strong (but not strong enough) in hilly Mendrisio. Why can't he be competitive in hilly LBL? It's really hard objective, it's maybe a bit easier to attack uphill when Boonen is against you (Ronde 2010), but harder when it's S.Sanchez, Evans or Gilbert.
But look at this in different light: how many of current riders have some theoretical chances to accomplish the Grand Slam of cycling classics? I see only Cancellara and maybe Gilbert…
Kvinto

Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

03 Nov 2010 08:43

Kvinto wrote:Well, he was strong (but not strong enough) in hilly Mendrisio. Why can't he be competitive in hilly LBL? It's really hard objective, it's maybe a bit easier to attack uphill when Boonen is against you (Ronde 2010), but harder when it's S.Sanchez, Evans or Gilbert.
But look at this in different light: how many of current riders have some theoretical chances to accomplish the Grand Slam of cycling classics? I see only Cancellara and maybe Gilbert…

I think Cancellara can do it. He lost Mendrisio by showing off how strong he was. With a more conservative approach he could have won.

I will be pulling for my man Cunego to win both races.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

03 Nov 2010 08:54

BroDeal wrote:I think Cancellara can do it. He lost Mendrisio by showing off how strong he was. With a more conservative approach he could have won.

Couldn't agree more! He showed too many times in the earlier moments of the race that he is in great shape.

However, it seems he has not learned from the defeat in Mendrisio that he should not always loudly announce his targets. He could have easily won the worlds in Mendrisio, had he not numerously stated that he is targeting the double, that he is in shape to win, etc. etc. He was so closely marked, particularly by the Spaniards, that he did not have any chance.

Will also be interesting to see whether he can keep up with getting older as he turns 30 next year...
la.margna

03 Nov 2010 08:56

BroDeal wrote:I think Cancellara can do it. He lost Mendrisio by showing off how strong he was. With a more conservative approach he could have won.

I will be pulling for my man Cunego to win both races.

I also think he can. As for Cunego, I think he has to improve, because his abilities were not that good this year...
Kvinto

03 Nov 2010 09:04

la.margna wrote:Will also be interesting to see whether he can keep up with getting older as he turns 30 next year...

Vino won LBL in 37. It's not GT, the age isn't so important.
Kvinto

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing