Log in:  

Register

Sign here if you think Henao is a future star on the european scene.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Sign here if you think Henao is a future star on the european scene.

17 Dec 2010 19:11

If we can have a thread about David Kemp and several about Taylor Phinney i think we can have one on this guy.

seeing as how cycling experts and much of this forum are building up several anglo and european riders including Richie Porte:confused: Sagan, Kennaugh, TJ, EBH, Phinney etc as the future gt stars i want a list of posters who think the unsung Henao will beat them all.

Sign here and years from now you can point to this thread to show that you knew more about cycling than Phil Ligget ;)



I know his tt may be a problem but he can work on it and losing 1 20 to Oscar Sevilla in a 36 k tt isnt that bad.

I eagerly await his arrival on the european scene
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,467
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

17 Dec 2010 19:19

Henao, Betancourt, Atapuma, Quintana, Pantano, Beltran...

I will build them all up to be future stars of cycling. Colombia (the country, not the team) has a god awesome batch of talents lately.
Not to mention Uran is still only 23 and Duarte is not exactly old yet either
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,438
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

17 Dec 2010 19:21

man Hitch you weren't lying when you said you were bored, but I gotta love me some Colombians as well
User avatar nvpacchi
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,060
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:10
Location: Cape May County, NJ

17 Dec 2010 19:22

Depends on many factors, including his mental strength to adapt to Europe and also several Clinic-related factors that made the Colombians all but disappear from the face of Earth in the 90s.
User avatar hrotha
Senior Member
 
Posts: 13,223
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

17 Dec 2010 19:39

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Henao, Betancourt, Atapuma, Quintana, Pantano, Beltran...

I will build them all up to be future stars of cycling. Colombia (the country, not the team) has a god awesome batch of talents lately.
Not to mention Uran is still only 23 and Duarte is not exactly old yet either


I agree about the others. Personally i dont care who does it, i want a non anglo/ european rider bringing it in gts and i love Colombias passion for cycling.

But i was motivate to put Henao forward because unlike the others, he has actually WON the Vuelta colombia, a big 2 week stage race which makes the Tourmalet look like the Col de la Croix de la Serra

And most importantly, unlike the others, despite his win he doesnt have many articles about him, and he didnt even have a wikipedia profile until i created one 10 minutes ago.

Actually i create this thread because i want to put in the phrase " While Henao has been relatively ignored by cycling experts, he is seen by cycling fans as a potential Grand Tour winner", and then link this thread as the refference :D
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,467
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

17 Dec 2010 19:48

I think he should be. He has the talent to. Whether he will be is another matter, whether it be for lack of opportunity, willingness, or ability to adapt to Europe.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,085
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

17 Dec 2010 19:59

I hope he will and think he should, like Libertine. However I fear that he might not, unless he comes over in a Colombian team. For some reason most SOuth American don't really adjust well to the European scene
User avatar Barrus
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,498
Joined: 28 Apr 2010 19:38

17 Dec 2010 20:22

hrotha wrote:Depends on many factors, including his mental strength to adapt to Europe and also several Clinic-related factors that made the Colombians all but disappear from the face of Earth in the 90s.

+1.

I hoping for the best. It looks like the perfect time.
User avatar Escarabajo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,547
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

17 Dec 2010 20:34

The Hitch wrote:Actually i create this thread because i want to put in the phrase " While Henao has been relatively ignored by cycling experts, he is seen by cycling fans as a potential Grand Tour winner", and then link this thread as the refference :D

While I agree with the bunch about his potential, I believe you created this thread with an eye to your future signature block:

"The Hitch: Official Cycling News breaker of Henao's potential to shine in the Euro scene. Take that you Aussie punk."
User avatar pedaling squares
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,842
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 03:29
Location: British Columbia

17 Dec 2010 20:42

I hope he'll justify your expectations but... I don't know... they all (I mean South American riders) are too unpredictable in Europe... Don't know how it'll work out in the case of Henao...
Kvinto
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,552
Joined: 28 Oct 2010 09:39
Location: This account has been quit by its creator since Sept 23, 2012.

17 Dec 2010 20:52

Personally I would have liked to see him riding already next year in some Continental team or anyway a minor racing schedule.
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,375
Joined: 26 Mar 2009 12:49
Location: Ferrara

17 Dec 2010 21:14

Are any of these guys better time triralists or bike handlers than Soler?
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,165
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

17 Dec 2010 21:39

I believe Henao has the physical talent to become a great professional. I hope a great pro team will give him a chance in 2012.
janraaskalt
Junior Member
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 10:41

17 Dec 2010 22:02

I think Henao not going too win a GT he is overestimate. It exist alot of better colombian riders. Winning volta colombia isn't a really big thing. Yes it has alot of mountain stages. But the opponents in that race is not that hard. Henao has just turn 23 and by then you must have shown more talant too win a GT.

Sarmiento, Quintana, Beltran, Betancour, Duarte, Uran Uran and Rubiano have all alot bigger chance too be new colombian star rider.
Gotland
Junior Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 14 May 2009 12:48

17 Dec 2010 22:59

Gotland wrote:I think Henao not going too win a GT he is overestimate. It exist alot of better colombian riders. Winning volta colombia isn't a really big thing. Yes it has alot of mountain stages. But the opponents in that race is not that hard. Henao has just turn 23 and by then you must have shown more talant too win a GT.

Sarmiento, Quintana, Beltran, Betancour, Duarte, Uran Uran and Rubiano have all alot bigger chance too be new colombian star rider.

Te Vuelta at age 22??? Are you kidding me.

Easy?

You have me confused.
User avatar Escarabajo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,547
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

17 Dec 2010 23:10

janraaskalt wrote:I believe Henao has the physical talent to become a great professional. I hope a great pro team will give him a chance in 2012.

I read on this same forum that a couple of pro-tour teams tried to sign him and he refused. It looks like he did not feel was the right time to make the switch. Go figure. Now that we have a Continental Colombian team he might not even ride with a European team in the near future after all.

Maybe we will have the good all days from the 80's.
User avatar Escarabajo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,547
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

18 Dec 2010 00:16

In thy CQ team...
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,772
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

18 Dec 2010 01:41

Hey Hitch I do hope you are not going to have an ACF style man crush on this poor boy?
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

18 Dec 2010 04:46

Sounds like a rider to watch if we could ever see any of his races...
Perhaps a spot at the Giro would be good. Rujano sure shone there.
User avatar dolophonic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 625
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 14:00

18 Dec 2010 05:01

Henao will succeed-perhaps not to the level of a TdF GT contender, but certainly a top 5 is reachable- [SIZE="3"]IF[/SIZE] he's supported by a Colombian Team- otherwise he'll never get the chance in an environment where European interests are prioritized. Also-as some folk here already stated- the "clinic" factor will play out in his goals-since the colombians aren't that keen to get into those methods (of course excluding Santiago Botero-- which belongs to a different breed)
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ataraxus, blackmamba, Cance > TheRest, Dazed and Confused, Lord Stanley, MrDurden, nepetalactone, olhell, perico, Publicus, Punkan, qwer, Ricco', Rockbluff20, the sceptic, Waterloo Sunrise and 89 guests

Back to top