Register

Sign here if you think Henao is a future star on the european scene.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Mar 2011 12:58

Mambo95 wrote:Given the (perhaps) unrealistic expectations for him by some on here, I would suggest Henman might be a better surname.

DAMN that's cold. I like it. Stewart Lewis Henman it is. I look forward to seeing him and Duran Duran falling off their bikes all across Europe next year.
User avatar Jamsque

30 Mar 2011 13:43

Ryo Hazuki wrote:HAHAHAHAHA, this must be the funniest post I've read in a long while

Hahahaha... I was expecting your answer to be a bit more harsh but is ok haha

gregrowlerson wrote:Ana Sofia and Carolina?

Yeah they should be future stars of the European scene!

:cool:

Ryo Hazuki wrote:Image

Henao says: One giro win in 2012 pls.

he looks a bit like arjen robben in this photo don't you think?

Actually... yes! He looks like Robben!
I really like that maillot... simple and cool...!
[color=DarkRed]"Inspired by Climbing"
[/color]Allez Contador!
User avatar Ryaguas

30 Mar 2011 15:16

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:transition into europe is a difficult one.
Yes the races in s/america are probably more entertaining, but that is because quality in Europe make the races less unpredictable.
for example man utd and liverpool can play a terribly boring 0-0 draw, whereas my little cousin can play a 7-6 game in a junior league here. Comparing riders results in s/america is difficult to summarizing instant sucess in europe.

Colombia appear to have much talent, but I suspect many will not succeed in europe.

As for Henao, he certainly has the potential, but only time will tell. Once again, the transition into europe will not be easy. Different racing.

Personally I would like to see some come here and succeed, but at the same time I can't claim i'm 'crazy' about them, as I haven't personally seen enough of these guys (suspect this is the case with the majority of the posters here, despite the constant hype :rolleyes: ) to really judge if I like the individual rider or not.

Typical anglo-saxon supremacy ignorant trash talk. Go get any first division south american football team against any middle of the pack european first division and see how it goes. Top teams such as Man U, Barcelona, are a different story as they hire guys from all over the world. Even then, sometimes a guy like Internacional wins against champions league winner in Fifa Club World Cup.

Same goes for cycling, a guy like Milton Wynants made his whole pro career in south american pro circuit and goes to win olympic medal without ever racing in europe.

Vuelta a colombia is just as hard as many european stage races. A guy like Contador could go down there and easily win it but not a guy like Phinney for instance.

South American's often struggle in Europe as they have a hard time adapting to traveling, language, weather, being away from home, etc.
indurain666

30 Mar 2011 16:43

indurain666 wrote:Typical anglo-saxon supremacy ignorant trash talk. Go get any first division south american football team against any middle of the pack european first division and see how it goes. Top teams such as Man U, Barcelona, are a different story as they hire guys from all over the world. Even then, sometimes a guy like Internacional wins against champions league winner in Fifa Club World Cup.

Same goes for cycling, a guy like Milton Wynants made his whole pro career in south american pro circuit and goes to win olympic medal without ever racing in europe.

Vuelta a colombia is just as hard as many european stage races. A guy like Contador could go down there and easily win it but not a guy like Phinney for instance.

South American's often struggle in Europe as they have a hard time adapting to traveling, language, weather, being away from home, etc.

2006: Italy(other finalist: France)
2010: Spain(other finalist: Holland)

Yeah, Europeans suck at football :rolleyes:

Since when do South Americans need to adept to the language? Most of them speak Castilian. You know, as do most other Spanish cyclists...
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

30 Mar 2011 18:00

El Pistolero wrote:2006: Italy(other finalist: France)
2010: Spain(other finalist: Holland)

Yeah, Europeans suck at football :rolleyes:

Since when do South Americans need to adept to the language? Most of them speak Castilian. You know, as do most other Spanish cyclists...

2002:brazil (other finalist: Germany)
1998: france (other finalist: Brazil)

man south america completely dominates the world of football . . .

oh btw

2006 semi finals: portugal vs france
germany vs italy

2010: spain - germany
netherlands - uruguay

complete domination just sayin :p
User avatar Parrulo

30 Mar 2011 18:26

indurain666 wrote:Typical anglo-saxon supremacy ignorant trash talk. Go get any first division south american football team against any middle of the pack european first division and see how it goes. Top teams such as Man U, Barcelona, are a different story as they hire guys from all over the world. Even then, sometimes a guy like Internacional wins against champions league winner in Fifa Club World Cup.

Who the heck ever said Phinney would win Vuelta a Colombia? Come on man...apples to oranges in rider style. I do agree though, I think most of their problems have to do with being away from home...friends and family...and their comfort zone.
User avatar TRDean

30 Mar 2011 21:01

TRDean wrote:Who the heck ever said Phinney would win Vuelta a Colombia? Come on man...apples to oranges in rider style. I do agree though, I think most of their problems have to do with being away from home...friends and family...and their comfort zone.

He refers about the hype put in Whinney... you have been here and you know about the hype...
[/color]Allez Contador!
User avatar Ryaguas

30 Mar 2011 21:09

Ryaguas wrote:He refers about the hype put in Whinney... you have been here and you know about the hype...

Whinney? The hell?
User avatar hrotha

30 Mar 2011 21:30

hrotha wrote:Whinney? The hell?

I was going to put whining Phinney but I mixed it :D
[/color]Allez Contador!
User avatar Ryaguas

Henao wins Tour of Utah Prologue

10 Aug 2011 07:45

I know it might be only a 2-km uphill prologue but it is a good occasion to refresh this thread.
“I’m not a human. I’m a piece of machinery. I don’t need to feel a thing. Just forge on ahead.” Haruki Murakami

http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/
User avatar nobilis

10 Aug 2011 08:16

He beat an impressive field there. Definitely has the potential.
User avatar the asian

10 Aug 2011 08:41

What's the story with Henao? Why hasn't he gone to europe before now (supposedly)? He only seems to ride a couple UCI races each year. What does he ride otherwise? Is there a Colobian domestic scene where he rides or does he do MTB the other parts of the year or what?
ingsve: Winner of the 2011 CQ Ranking Manager Game.

“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it” - Max Planck
User avatar ingsve

10 Aug 2011 09:19

Pretty sure he does most of his riding in south america.

Anyway we will see if the sky rumors eventuate or if he can get a pro-contract.

It will be most interesting a few of these stages to see how he holds up against some of the american pros.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo

10 Aug 2011 09:20

Mostly colombian/south american racing but with taste of EU according to CQ.

edit: didn't he sign already for Sky?
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

10 Aug 2011 09:23

Michele wrote:Mostly colombian/south american racing but with taste of EU according to CQ.

edit: didn't he sign already for Sky?

I have no idea. Is it confirmed, I may have missed that.

10 Aug 2011 09:25

ingsve wrote:What's the story with Henao? Why hasn't he gone to europe before now (supposedly)? He only seems to ride a couple UCI races each year. What does he ride otherwise? Is there a Colobian domestic scene where he rides or does he do MTB the other parts of the year or what?

There's indeed a Colombian domestic scene, and other races in Latin America.
User avatar hrotha

10 Aug 2011 09:27

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:I have no idea. Is it confirmed, I may have missed that.

I asked Dim on a thread a few months back if its confirmed and he said that the deal was done long ago, or something to that effect.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

10 Aug 2011 09:29

ahk, well that is good news I guess.

yeah.. did i ever say it was a bad race, maybe you should learn to read before making ridiculous statements. I assume your capable of understanding this yea? :rolleyes:

My point was there is probably more structure in european racing, and I know they rider a harder tempo on the flats which can tire riders who are not used to this.

All I said it is different racing in europe, not necessary better. The transition is obviously a difficult one, because the tempo and races are ridden differently. But yeah I must be the ignorant for stating such a ridiculous claim that riders need to adapt, and not some chump who can't understood logic.

10 Aug 2011 09:30

I'm not sure if it has been officially confirmed. But certainly Henao himself has said he is riding for Sky next season
euanli

10 Aug 2011 10:19

The Hitch wrote:I asked Dim on a thread a few months back if its confirmed and he said that the deal was confirmed long ago, or something to that effect.

yeh, not officially confirmed, but Henao himself has now said in several interviews that he has signed, and will be heading to europe in september/october to talk to the team. Think the deal was done as long ago as the end of last year, beginning of this
TeamSkyFans

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing