Log in:  

Register

Young Aussies the best ever?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Young Aussies the best ever?

26 Dec 2010 04:20

Are the current crop of young Aussie pro's the best they have ever had?
Are they in fact the best that any country has ever had!
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

26 Dec 2010 08:16

simo1733 wrote:Are the current crop of young Aussie pro's the best they have ever had?


yes. Or so it appears. But this can be said for a lot of countries.

simo1733 wrote: Are they in fact the best that any country has ever had!


no. Most certainly not.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,441
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 13:44
Location: Melbourne

26 Dec 2010 08:46

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:yes. Or so it appears. But this can be said for a lot of countries.



no. Most certainly not.


indeed, those were the Belgians from the 60's and 70's
Life's too important to be taken seriously
Doping sucks

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.

hrotha wrote:You guys have an ancient barbarian mentality. Charge right in and be inevitably slaughtered by the superior foe, so that you can be buried with your sword and your silly notions of an "honorable fight".
and proud of it :D
User avatar Michielveedeebee
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,801
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 08:54
Location: Kortrijk, Belgium

26 Dec 2010 09:10

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote: But this can be said for a lot of countries.


I don't really think so. Not the traditional cycling countries anyway.
User avatar ak-zaaf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,264
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 20:52
Location: Nederland

26 Dec 2010 09:17

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:yes. Or so it appears. But this can be said for a lot of countries.



no. Most certainly not.


It seems to me that they have at least 10 riders 25 and younger,most of whom have already produced world class performance in one form or another.I can't see any other countries who can make that claim.
I don't know about the 60/70s I am sure you are right.That is part of the reason I ask the question.
simo1733
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,177
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 08:40
Location: Brunei

26 Dec 2010 09:52

Trav Meyer
Cam Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Goss
Roe
Docker
Wes Sulzburger
Matthews
Dennis
Walker
Lachie Norris
Durbridge
Hepburn
Freiburg
Tom Palmer
Ben King

Who Have I missed?? (obv not including Richie Porte and Haussler)
Broom Wagon on Cadel Fever ... 'Kids are dreaming of marrying Italian pianists. Dimpled chins are the new botox. '
User avatar Sydney21
Junior Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: 26 Aug 2010 08:23

26 Dec 2010 10:20

Sydney21 wrote:Trav Meyer
Cam Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Goss
Roe
Docker
Wes Sulzburger
Matthews
Dennis
Walker
Lachie Norris
Durbridge
Hepburn
Freiburg
Tom Palmer
Ben King

Who Have I missed?? (obv not including Richie Porte and Haussler)


Excellent talent coming through for australia. But I think the dutch beat us in upcoming talent with the likes of Mollema, Van Emden, Boom, Kruisjwijk & momany more riders. The talent is just endless...
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

26 Dec 2010 10:47

auscyclefan94 wrote:Excellent talent coming through for australia. But I think the dutch beat us in upcoming talent with the likes of Mollema, Van Emden, Boom, Kruisjwijk & momany more riders. The talent is just endless...


Are we talking about below 25? Because Gesink is still 24 isn't he?
Still I'm surprised you say this as a sworn anti dutch maffia person :D
I must say that Australia for a non-traditional cycling country is delivering great riders. Australia always finds it's way into the top of any sport which is impressive. Good mentality I guess.
User avatar Kwibus
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,489
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

26 Dec 2010 10:52

auscyclefan94 wrote:Excellent talent coming through for australia. But I think the dutch beat us in upcoming talent with the likes of Mollema, Van Emden, Boom, Kruisjwijk & momany more riders. The talent is just endless...


Best crop of young Aussie riders - yes, by sheer weight of numbers. The more interesting question is who out of those riders listed will achieve success in the classics and grand tours.

Best crop of young riders ever - no way given the predominance of Spanish riders at the top level in the last few years (for whatever reason) and previously the great generations of French, Belgian, Dutch and Italian riders.
User avatar slartiblartfast
Junior Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 10 Jul 2009 05:47

26 Dec 2010 11:02

Kwibus wrote:Are we talking about below 25? Because Gesink is still 24 isn't he?
Still I'm surprised you say this as a sworn anti dutch maffia person :D
I must say that Australia for a non-traditional cycling country is delivering great riders. Australia always finds it's way into the top of any sport which is impressive. Good mentality I guess.


I was being facetious about the dutch riders even though do have some strong young riders. I am still a little unconvinced about what Cam Meyer will be like on the road. He and some of his directors have directly said and hinted (in Cam's case) in becoming a guy who becomes a Overall contender in GT's. I am not convinced about his climbing and personally see Bobridge as having a bigger future in the sport in becoming a very good time trailler and cobbled classics rider.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

26 Dec 2010 11:12

Wes Sulzburger has been around for a few years now.
RIP Wouter Weylandt - 27 September 1984 – 9 May 2011.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
User avatar craig1985
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,316
Joined: 06 May 2009 09:55
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

26 Dec 2010 11:23

australia has a lot of talented riders, because of AIS work , good mentality and correct formation course. they do other sports before cycling, than track, that is very good for bike handling , cadence.....
in italy, cycling has no good recruitment, most of the riders starts cycling at 8 or 9, do not do other sports with no correct muscular balance, no track: the result is that the once dominating nation is not able to form complete riders.

other countries with abunch of talent : colombia, with duarte, henao, betancur, quintana, pantano.
not to forget france: sicard, pinot ( potentially very good in the hills), geniez,and coppel, offredo, may be lebon. not good as australia, holland and colombia, but the best situation for les blues since many many years
profff
Junior Member
 
Posts: 357
Joined: 16 Oct 2010 22:53

26 Dec 2010 11:30

France had always had a few talented riders. Yet somehow they never reach their potential.
The likes of Casar, Rolland, Moncoutie, Le Mevel, Moinard, Gadret, Riblon, Dessel, Di Gregorio have all been dubbed as the next French GT specialist......and the list could go on and on
Reuell
Junior Member
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 10:22

26 Dec 2010 11:32

Sydney21 wrote:Trav Meyer
Cam Meyer
Bobridge
Howard
Goss
Roe
Docker
Wes Sulzburger
Matthews
Dennis
Walker
Lachie Norris
Durbridge
Hepburn
Freiburg
Tom Palmer
Ben King

Who Have I missed?? (obv not including Richie Porte and Haussler)


Simon Clarke and Leigh Howard :)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,535
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

26 Dec 2010 11:41

You can only really grant a 'golden Generation' tag in retrospect really, because there have been so many people in the history of sport who've had incredible talent coming through the ranks but not been able to adjust to the top level. There are a huge number of Aussie prospects coming through, but if only, say, three of them turn into elite talents, it may still be Australia's best generation, but it's irrelevant if then, say, Italy has only four major prospects, but all of them turn into elite talents.

If we're talking the country with the most amazing young prospects at the moment there's a good chance Colombia is that country - but we've seen so many Colombians not quite impose themselves on the Euro péloton that we're not saying 'are the young Colombians the best ever?'.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,530
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

26 Dec 2010 12:14

sicard , world champion U23, pinot and geniez, very strong in the hardest euro U23 stage race (giro valle d' aosta), have results that no ther young french had in the recent past. different than casar, digregorio and the others.
than cycling is a little changing, the speed is decreasing (maybe this is a clinic issue..) and the french have more chance to emerge.

obviously for cultural reason it is easier for an aussie to find his way in europe than for a colombian.
maybe things are going to improve for colombians ,too: cafe de colombia-colombia es passion has a proconti status, the road of GTs are changing and becoming more suitable for grimpeurs and escarabajos....
if just a colombian find his way in europe, than teams will give real chances to other guys, i hope.

french and colombians coming back will be a very good thing for cycling...
profff
Junior Member
 
Posts: 357
Joined: 16 Oct 2010 22:53

26 Dec 2010 12:15

ak-zaaf wrote:I don't really think so. Not the traditional cycling countries anyway.


yeah I was referring to a lot of countries developing into cycling nations.

Libertine Seguros wrote:You can only really grant a 'golden Generation' tag in retrospect really, because there have been so many people in the history of sport who've had incredible talent coming through the ranks but not been able to adjust to the top level. There are a huge number of Aussie prospects coming through, but if only, say, three of them turn into elite talents, it may still be Australia's best generation, but it's irrelevant if then, say, Italy has only four major prospects, but all of them turn into elite talents.

If we're talking the country with the most amazing young prospects at the moment there's a good chance Colombia is that country - but we've seen so many Colombians not quite impose themselves on the Euro péloton that we're not saying 'are the young Colombians the best ever?'.


this post.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,441
Joined: 22 Jun 2009 13:44
Location: Melbourne

26 Dec 2010 12:31

simo1733 wrote: Are they in fact the best that any country has ever had!


Id like to nominate italy 15 years ago for this.

1969-1974

Ivan Gotti -1969 2 times winner of Giro d Italia
Gilberto Simoni - 1971 2 times winner of Giro d italia
Marco Pantani - 1970 Winner of Giro d Italia and Tour de France in same year
Alessandro Petacchi - 1974 Gt points jersey Grand slam, + MSR and PT
Davide Rebellin - 1971 Several great races including Ardennes sweep in 1 week
Paolo Bettini- 1974 Winner of 5 of the 7 biggest 1 dayers, MSR, LBL, GDL, WRR,ORR
Gabriele Colombo-1972 Winner of Milan SanRemo.
Paolo Savoldelli -1973 2 times winner of Giro D Italia
Stefano Garzelli -1973 Winner of Giro D Italia
Michele Bartoli - 1970 Ardennes sweep, RVV and Lombardia.


They didnt turn out too bad. By comparison if this Aussy golden generation achieves just ONE of the above feats ill be surprised.

Or if you want you can take out Bettini Salvodeli and Garzeli for Cipo. And behind the scenes theres successes like Piepoli and Bruzhegin, also this generation.

A side note to the still developing Spain 1978- 83 generation. Alberto Contador, Alejandro Valverde, Oscar Pereiro, Samuel Sanchez have all won big. Luis Joaquim Rodriguez, Luis Leon Sanchez, Igor Anton maybe will.

Again, well beyond what the Aussy crop can hope to achieve.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,568
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

26 Dec 2010 12:41

Gods, take Colombo out of that list. That's a sacrilege. He was a one-hit wonder, winner of MSR and the Giro d'EPO. I agree with your post otherwise, although I'd limit it to 1969-1971 because those were the guys duking it out together as amateurs.
User avatar hrotha
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,793
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

26 Dec 2010 12:44

hrotha wrote:Gods, take Colombo out of that list. That's a sacrilege. He was a one-hit wonder, winner of MSR and the Giro d'EPO. I agree with your post otherwise, although I'd limit it to 1969-1971 because those were the guys duking it out together as amateurs.


I made a list, then figured id go through the history of the 3 main Italian races to find anyone who fits the bill. You win a monument, your in the list.

I did 1970-74 because i figured many start at 20, and young jersey finishes at 25 so a 5 year period, though i found no one from 1975 anyway.

Its a testament to how great that generation was that merely winning MSR makes him look crap on the list.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,568
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], slosada, Twenty-Nem and 14 guests

Back to top