Register

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

15 Jun 2013 02:27

Zam_Olyas wrote:Can mountain stage race be held in the Australian alps with a hard climb or a hard mtf?

Check out this blog, descriptions and profiles of the best climbs, even a fantasy "Tour of Australia"

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/
Tragic

15 Jun 2013 02:31

Gotta say well done Cam Meyer you rode well last night in stage 7 tour de suisse"must admit i never thought he would climb so well,keep it up"
blaxland

15 Jun 2013 02:54

blaxland wrote:Gotta say well done Cam Meyer you rode well last night in stage 7 tour de suisse"must admit i never thought he would climb so well,keep it up"

Yes I thought he did well.
movingtarget

15 Jun 2013 12:28

Tragic wrote:Check out this blog, descriptions and profiles of the best climbs, even a fantasy "Tour of Australia"

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/

Thank you. Will be a ripper of a tour. :)
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas

16 Jun 2013 00:08

Zam_Olyas wrote:Thank you. Will be a ripper of a tour. :)

note this is only one region of australia, though granted the one with the best climbs. In the race design thread i put a tour of australia together, fairly tricky to do due to the distances between interesting terrain.
karlboss

16 Jun 2013 12:51

If there was a stage in Sydney (would be smart) it should either be a crit around a beach, a hilly ride around Bobbin Head or West Head and then have a long ITT- going across the Harbour Bridge.

Congrats to Svein/ Wesley for their good results as of late.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

21 Jun 2013 04:36

With vacansoliel looking likely to break apart it maybe a good opportunity for OGE to go after some decent riders.

Surely De gendt would be a great acquisition and help fill the mch discussed GC void. $$ may an issue but Im assuing they still have left aftetr Porte rejected their advances. Poels mayeb a cheaper option too. Wiestra maybe another good pick up with Tuft etc aging and it would help build/maintain a great TTT squad.

Who else? tbh I dont know the team that well apart from the 'bigger guys'

I'd also love to see them on Bianchis.......
bikeit

21 Jun 2013 05:31

bikeit wrote:With vacansoliel looking likely to break apart it maybe a good opportunity for OGE to go after some decent riders.

Surely De gendt would be a great acquisition and help fill the mch discussed GC void. $$ may an issue but Im assuing they still have left aftetr Porte rejected their advances. Poels mayeb a cheaper option too. Wiestra maybe another good pick up with Tuft etc aging and it would help build/maintain a great TTT squad.

Who else? tbh I dont know the team that well apart from the 'bigger guys'

I'd also love to see them on Bianchis.......

Marcato is good but there would be too much overlap with Gerrans, Matthews and Hepburn.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

26 Jun 2013 01:03

I hope these guys aren't invisible this tour. With Goss not on best form I'm hoping for some attacking riding. Personally even if he was on form I'd prefer to them attack, as lotto and OPQS should be strong enough to bring breaks back and control the tempo in the finale.
karlboss

26 Jun 2013 01:20

karlboss wrote:I hope these guys aren't invisible this tour. With Goss not on best form I'm hoping for some attacking riding. Personally even if he was on form I'd prefer to them attack, as lotto and OPQS should be strong enough to bring breaks back and control the tempo in the finale.

they cant be invisible otherwise they'd have no footage for backstage pass episodes
Kender

26 Jun 2013 18:00

Remember guys that this is just Year 2 for the squad and at the moment there are no vacancies to sign new riders. With the 2 year contracts ending this year there could be some movement but I hope they stick with the majority of the current riders....give them some time. Young Caleb Ewan would be my pick of the up and coming Aussies.

I reckon this forum is over the top on Goss, 95% of his races are against the very best sprinters and he is still clearly above Howard and Kroupis. I am confident he will do well this TdF if he can stay healthy and not crash. Impey and Lancaster are excellent lead out men and with Tuft, Meyer, Gerrans and Clarke also getting into the lead out work they should be very competitive in what is shaping as one of the best sprinting fields in years. It is really important in these early years that the young fellas have guys like Goss, O'Grady, Tuft, Cooke, etc to give them some leadership and guidance.

Meyer won't go for GC this year but it will be interesting to see how he goes in the mountains for future years. His form in California last year and Swiss this year is encouraging. Clarke, Alba and Gerro for attacking days and I think we will see plenty of the OGE boys in the big race.
Wilba60

26 Jun 2013 23:17

I think Goss is right to get criticised, yes he is not an elite sprinter but everyone made you think that way and his results are just awful, even last year at the Giro 1 stage win and 0 at the TDF. And don't start me on this year, you hardly see him win atall I think he won a stage in Tirreno that's it?.:D
User avatar TANK91

27 Jun 2013 00:14

Wilba60 wrote:Remember guys that this is just Year 2 for the squad and at the moment there are no vacancies to sign new riders. With the 2 year contracts ending this year there could be some movement but I hope they stick with the majority of the current riders....give them some time. Young Caleb Ewan would be my pick of the up and coming Aussies.

I reckon this forum is over the top on Goss, 95% of his races are against the very best sprinters and he is still clearly above Howard and Kroupis. I am confident he will do well this TdF if he can stay healthy and not crash. Impey and Lancaster are excellent lead out men and with Tuft, Meyer, Gerrans and Clarke also getting into the lead out work they should be very competitive in what is shaping as one of the best sprinting fields in years. It is really important in these early years that the young fellas have guys like Goss, O'Grady, Tuft, Cooke, etc to give them some leadership and guidance.

Meyer won't go for GC this year but it will be interesting to see how he goes in the mountains for future years. His form in California last year and Swiss this year is encouraging. Clarke, Alba and Gerro for attacking days and I think we will see plenty of the OGE boys in the big race.

Yeah, I do wonder who is on two year contracts. Teh hack that is Anthony Tan mentioned ten riders were but he is a useless 'journalist' so I wont take that as gospel. I think someone like Vaitkus can be moved on, I dont think he has added much to the team. I do wonder if the Teklehaimanot experiment will be extended. I would love for him to succeed but I'm u sure how many years they may need to start getting decent results from his development.

Goss would be on a huge salary after his MR win and OGE put a lot faith and resources into him as the winner for the team, something he has failed to do.

I am looking forward to seeing how Meyer goes. Obviously an introduction to le Tour but I think he'll be given the green light to stay as high in GC as possible - but problably won't get any help with resources diverted to opportuist stage wins or Goss for the finales.
bikeit

27 Jun 2013 00:21

To me this is Matt Goss's last chance to show what he's got.Cause the last two years of grand tours have been really invisable.(finishing on the podium in stages is not the same as winning them)If his contract is up they should let him go and sign young Caleb Ewan and look for more mountain domestiques for Meyer in the future?Im really glad there giving Cam a chance? he showed in Toc and TDS that he is slowing improving his climbing skillset.Lets hope they score a stage win or two this tdf?
blaxland

27 Jun 2013 00:59

The criticisms of Goss are more to do with the fact that he's now one of the weakest sprinters in the bunch, therefore he's lost what was his main asset.
Ferminal

27 Jun 2013 02:31

blaxland wrote:To me this is Matt Goss's last chance to show what he's got.Cause the last two years of grand tours have been really invisable.(finishing on the podium in stages is not the same as winning them)If his contract is up they should let him go and sign young Caleb Ewan and look for more mountain domestiques for Meyer in the future?Im really glad there giving Cam a chance? he showed in Toc and TDS that he is slowing improving his climbing skillset.Lets hope they score a stage win or two this tdf?

Agree that Goss needs to get his act together fast or move on but I wouldn't be too quick to throw the eggs in the Meyer basket. Meyer is good but he'll never be a GT contender, at least for another 2-3 years. Greenedge have a perfectly good replacement for Goss in Matthews, he just needs some faith shown in him. He's only just turned 23 and this is his first year with the squad so there is time to invest in him.

They need to replace about 5-6 riders in the next 18 months, so they should use this to strengthen their climbing stocks gradually then get behind either Morton, Dennis or Porte when their current contracts are up or splurge on a foreign contender. When Cam Meyer and Pieter Weening are the strongest climbers on your squad by a long way and you aren't taking bunch sprints some house cleaning is in order.

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

User avatar 42x16ss

27 Jun 2013 04:42

42x16ss wrote:Agree that Goss needs to get his act together fast or move on but I wouldn't be too quick to throw the eggs in the Meyer basket. Meyer is good but he'll never be a GT contender, at least for another 2-3 years. Greenedge have a perfectly good replacement for Goss in Matthews, he just needs some faith shown in him. He's only just turned 23 and this is his first year with the squad so there is time to invest in him.

They need to replace about 5-6 riders in the next 18 months, so they should use this to strengthen their climbing stocks gradually then get behind either Morton, Dennis or Porte when their current contracts are up or splurge on a foreign contender. When Cam Meyer and Pieter Weening are the strongest climbers on your squad by a long way and you aren't taking bunch sprints some house cleaning is in order.

Totally agree, they seriously need to sign better riders imo.:D
User avatar TANK91

27 Jun 2013 09:03

TANK91 wrote:Totally agree, they seriously need to sign better riders imo.:D

The backbone is there for a very good team, the problem is the best riders are either too young (Durbridge, Hepburn, Howard, Matthews) or classics guys (Gerrans, Goss, Clarke, Langeveld). The rest are either domestiques or in their final years.

I feel that they will be fairly anonymous again at the Tour unless Goss recovers some form or the stage hunters get very hungry. Stephens and White will need to really motivate these guys if they want some results.

Maybe they should switch the team cars for some HSV utes? :D

User avatar 42x16ss

27 Jun 2013 09:44

42x16ss wrote:Stephens and White will need to really motivate these guys if they want some results.:D

Well then they will have to go on the juice. GreenEdge has the problem that from their initial signings no real GC or Classic talents have emerged. If they want to be an Australian team there is no sense in them signing foreigners to fill leadership roles. Ewan is going to Saxobank following Brad Magee so they are not looking good for the future. Jerry Ryan may have to pull the pin.
timmers

27 Jun 2013 10:53

42x16ss wrote:Agree that Goss needs to get his act together fast or move on but I wouldn't be too quick to throw the eggs in the Meyer basket. Meyer is good but he'll never be a GT contender, at least for another 2-3 years. Greenedge have a perfectly good replacement for Goss in Matthews, he just needs some faith shown in him. He's only just turned 23 and this is his first year with the squad so there is time to invest in him.

Goss always seems to get caught out of position and he seems to have lost his speed over the final 50 metres. He is just not the same rider.
movingtarget

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing