Register

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

24 Jul 2017 14:09

Saw this piece in the Guardian last week. Arguably just a "colour piece" but it does answer the question with regards to Orica's budget; exceeds AUD 23mill; (EUR 15-16 mill/USD18.25 mill)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/21/orica-scott-24-hours-on-the-road-with-a-tour-de-france-team
dirkprovin

Re:

24 Jul 2017 16:33

dirkprovin wrote:Saw this piece in the Guardian last week. Arguably just a "colour piece" but it does answer the question with regards to Orica's budget; exceeds AUD 23mill; (EUR 15-16 mill/USD18.25 mill)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/21/orica-scott-24-hours-on-the-road-with-a-tour-de-france-team

Budget is a touch bigger than expected and i guess would be mid-range in the peleton.

Looks like Edmondson is riding Ride London next week as Ewan and Cort are at the Tour of Poland.

Have no idea who will lead Orica in the two Canadian races.

Have already picked my 2018 TDF team.
yaco

Re: Re:

24 Jul 2017 17:19

yaco wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:Saw this piece in the Guardian last week. Arguably just a "colour piece" but it does answer the question with regards to Orica's budget; exceeds AUD 23mill; (EUR 15-16 mill/USD18.25 mill)

Budget is a touch bigger than expected and i guess would be mid-range in the peleton.

Looks like Edmondson is riding Ride London next week as Ewan and Cort are at the Tour of Poland.

I'll be waiting until I see all 3 GT routes .....AND who's been signed/re-signed/gone before I venture down that path
dirkprovin

24 Jul 2017 18:12

dirkprovin wrote:
yaco wrote:

I'll be waiting until I see all 3 GT routes .....AND who's been signed/re-signed/gone before I venture down that path

I'll give you the team

A.Yates
Kreuziger
Nieve
Hepburn
Impey
Durbridge
Juul-Jensen
Keukeliere
yaco

Re:

24 Jul 2017 19:00

That budget includes the women's and development teams.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

25 Jul 2017 06:06

StryderHells wrote:

That budget includes the women's and development teams.

At this point, the outlay on the development team wou;dn't account for much given they've barely raced and I think there's some significant Chinese money bankrolling. Women's team = maybe 2-3 million max , would be interested to find out the AIS portion.
dirkprovin

Yesterday 08:44

So it appears that both Cort and Keukeliere are leaving which weakens the Classics squad, notwithstanding the recruitment of Trentin who is some chance to win a classic - Hayman will also be gone in the next 12 months and its unlikely Docker will be round, so this part of the squad will need regeneration. Interesting times ahead.

Seems like Orica may only have 5 or 6 riders remaining from their original squad.
yaco

Re:

Yesterday 09:33

yaco wrote:So it appears that both Cort and Keukeliere are leaving which weakens the Classics squad, notwithstanding the recruitment of Trentin who is some chance to win a classic - Hayman will also be gone in the next 12 months and its unlikely Docker will be round, so this part of the squad will need regeneration. Interesting times ahead.

Seems like Orica may only have 5 or 6 riders remaining from their original squad.

Interesting !! Not surprised that he WOULD be fielding some legitimate offers and given he has been a regular in the BEL World RR teams in recent years; he is clearly regarded by at least some BEL cycling folk. Would probably have to have been quite a tasty offer in order for him to make the move as he's been good for Orica just as Orica has been good for him
dirkprovin

Yesterday 10:10

With regards to individual Tour performances:
SY: rode smart and managed to control any losses; was willing to have a few calculated attacks (one paid/one didnt)
Kreuziger: solid
Chaves: was never realistically going to be competitive given his lead-in. Plus side was getting in the hard race miles. Was pleasing to see him pitch in when called upon on the crosswinds stage
Impey: finished the Tour strongly, not just with ITT but on some of the mountain stages
Hayman: should be his last GT
Keukeleire: made a tactical mistake on the st19 lead-in to finish. Very strong support for SY on crosswinds stage. Good allround Tour
Durbridge: over before it began
Albasini: useful on occaisions. Infiltrated a couple of breaks, only one that stuck to the finish. Not sure of his GT future should he continue; would keep him for one-dayers and one weekers
Howson: not sure what was the story with him ? Was it form or was there some rethinking towards Vuelta going on ? I noticed that on a number of the early flat stages, he was rolling in a couple of minutes down when you would expect that someone with his engine would be holding onto the peleton. Had me thinking ... are they plotting to send him up the road in a break (ala Vuelta) but we never saw this. It was only later in the Tour that we saw him as one of the last support riders for SY. Was it form .... or did they decide to make a re-set for Vuelta with Chaves ? Just a thought ..... quite possibly a quite erroneous one !
dirkprovin

Yesterday 11:20

Howson is an interesting one, unless he was unwell early in the race the only reason he would of been dropped on the early flat stages is if it were team orders. He did start to show up a little bit late in the race but I do along with the thinking that he was told to hold back and refocus for the Vuelta as the team looks ro be going into the race with a squad that cause some mischief.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

Yesterday 11:37

Orica team for Ride London

Cort
Edmondson
Impey
Hayman
Docker
Kluge
Hepburn

Cort will be the protected rider in the likelihood of a bunch sprint - Would like Impey to get into the break and make it a tough race.

Interesting to see when Durbridge returns from injury - He along with Keukeliere are good options for the Eneco Tour.

Interesting that BMC is stopping their development team this year. Would like the UCI to introduce a rule that if a WT team has a CT team, the WT team gets first call on the riders service - After all a Neo-Pro contract is for two years and then riders can change teams.
yaco

Re:

Today 07:36

dirkprovin wrote:With regards to individual Tour performances:
Chaves: was never realistically going to be competitive given his lead-in. Plus side was getting in the hard race miles. Was pleasing to see him pitch in when called upon on the crosswinds stage

Frankly, Chaves was worse than expected. Nobody expected him to be GC competitive, but what he showed in break was poor given his standard.
Hayman: should be his last GT
How is this related to performance?
Howson... It was only later in the Tour that we saw him as one of the last support riders for SY.
Never there with Simon in the mountains. Poor performance. If he had the performance to be there with Simon at the mountains, undoubtedly he would be there at least sometimes IMHO. To let Simon ride alone would be downright stupid given you have rider capable of staying with him; possibly costing few GC places - distances were very small and little difference (such as protection of your leader) could decide on quite a few GC places.
Kokoso

Previous

Return to Professional road racing