Register

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

21 Sep 2017 11:56

At this stage in

Trentin
Nieve
Meyer
Bauer
L.Hamilton

Out

Keukeliere
Plaza
Cort
Gerrans

Still to be re-signed Edmondson, Docker, Power, Mezgec and Albasini. I suspect one or two of this won't be at Orica in 2018.
yaco

Re:

21 Sep 2017 18:51

yaco wrote:Gerrans definitely fell out of favor at Orica - Will be interesting to see his race program for 2018 - Will say I doubt his capabilities as a road captain.
greenedge wrote:I'll always think of Gerro as an OGE rider, so it's sad to see him leave in the final years of his career. However at BMC he will have a good role and i'm sure will be invaluable, so as long as he's happy congrats to him!

Maybe less a matter of "falling out of favour" but rather it all getting down to $$$$. Gerrans was the biggest $$$ deal at the time that they penned this 3 year deal that has just expired and at this time in 2014, it was completely merited.

However, there is no way that they would offer him anything more than moderate $$$ given his current value nor would they probably be willing to offer him more than a 1 year deal. Most probably this was what they put to him with the implication; "feel free to look around for a better deal". In all honesty, with this signing BMC seem to be confirming an impression of "spend a lot but other than GVA, what's been their return on investment ?"

For their first 3 years, he WAS their "main man" and he should be respected for that. However, injuries/crashes have marred a couple of seasons and whereas the likes of Albasini (a similar age) have been able to sustain a high level of performance/results; he has fallen away and his utility in a support role is less.
dirkprovin

Re:

Yesterday 10:03

yaco wrote:At this stage in

Trentin
Nieve
Meyer
Bauer
L.Hamilton

Out

Keukeliere
Plaza
Cort
Gerrans

Still to be re-signed Edmondson, Docker, Power, Mezgec and Albasini. I suspect one or two of this won't be at Orica in 2018.

Alba already confirmed he has a contract for Orica 2018.
User avatar liamito

Re: Re:

Yesterday 11:34

liamito wrote:

Trentin
Nieve
Meyer
Bauer
L.Hamilton

Out

Keukeliere
Plaza
Cort
Gerrans

I was given this info a while ago but was waiting for official confirmation. I understand Mezgec and Power are staying but no news on Edmondson and Docker.
yaco

Re: Re:

Yesterday 22:23

yaco wrote:
liamito wrote:

Trentin
Nieve
Meyer
Bauer
L.Hamilton

Out

Keukeliere
Plaza
Cort
Gerrans

I was given this info a while ago but was waiting for official confirmation. I understand Mezgec and Power are staying but no news on Edmondson and Docker.

Albasini - expected, he's proven himself still more than worthy of a place in the line-up. Will be interesting to find out whether its just a straight one-year deal or whether there is an option for an additional year. Will almost certainly ride out his career with the team .... and has earned that right & is still capable to doing a job (Gerrans regrettably was not)

Mezgec - would hope that this is confirmed as he is of greater value than just a lead-out to Ewan who I realistically see as moving on after next year. The guy is capable over quite a range of terrain & could arguably be allowed to ride for his own results more often

Power - this has essentially been his neo-pro year given he lost 90% of 2016. A few decent one day performances (albeit at 2nd tier races) but he will realistically be needing to step it up considerably over the next 12 months as positions at one weekers cannot be just handed out as "charity" when you have a serious GC focus & with the reduced team sizes

Edmondson - another essentially in his neo-pro year (due to Rio track commitments) but a distinctly more impressive one especially in the cobbled races. Would have to think that he SHOULD be resigning priority given he may be a classics fast guy more compatible with a GC focused GT/stage team than Ewan. However, has he also caught the eye of another team ??

Docker - rode quite well early season and in some of the cobbles races but has basically disappeared from the line-up for most significant races ever since. Doesn't exactly sound a note of confidence re his future
dirkprovin

Previous

Return to Professional road racing