Register

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

24 Jan 2017 02:59

gregrowlerson wrote:
Netserk wrote:I just read some of the posts during the 2011 Tour :( What could have been...

It will always be impossible to know what he could have achieved in that slightly lesser standard Tour. If he climbed like he did in 2010 and 2012 then he'd be lucky to sneak a top ten. Of course his form in 2011 was much better, but great GC's in P-N and P-V didn't have any seriously long climbs.

As a fan I would hope that he could have stayed at least close to Tommy V in the mountains though :D

I think his crash in '11 had a lot more effect on '12 then people think since he was not the same in any race. '10 he went in thinking he was riding for Armstrong so who knows if he prepared to actually be up there in GC.
I also wish he didn't get sick in the giro '08 or have astana pull everyone out in '07 because those could have been top 5. Plus on '11 he would have finished top 5 with ease.
User avatar SHAD0W93

26 Jan 2017 00:34

SHAD0W93 wrote:
gregrowlerson wrote:
Netserk wrote:I just read some of the posts during the 2011 Tour :( What could have been...

It will always be impossible to know what he could have achieved in that slightly lesser standard Tour. If he climbed like he did in 2010 and 2012 then he'd be lucky to sneak a top ten. Of course his form in 2011 was much better, but great GC's in P-N and P-V didn't have any seriously long climbs.

As a fan I would hope that he could have stayed at least close to Tommy V in the mountains though :D

I think his crash in '11 had a lot more effect on '12 then people think since he was not the same in any race. '10 he went in thinking he was riding for Armstrong so who knows if he prepared to actually be up there in GC.
I also wish he didn't get sick in the giro '08 or have astana pull everyone out in '07 because those could have been top 5. Plus on '11 he would have finished top 5 with ease.

I disagree that with the possibility of riding for Armstrong, that therefore he wasn't in top potential GC riding shape suggestion. In '04 and '06 he arrived in France with the strict objective to ride for Jan, yet still had the shape to contend for the GC when circumstances changed. In 2010 Andreas simply wasn't quite as good as he was in 2009, his lesser early season results show that. The question is really whether Kloden could have climbed as well in 2011 as in 2009 (yes, he cracked on Columbierre, but was one of the big four on Romme, plus was strong on the 'little' Bernard). If he could have then he would have been top 5 for sure (even with the low amount of ITT) without the crashes, but I just don't know if he could have held on as well in the high mountains at the age of 36 as compared to when 34.

You are right about those crashes effecting him thereafter. It was an amazing effort to comeback and place 11th in 2012. Whilst way off the level of the top GC guys, he battled on admirably.

Yes, the '08 Giro is a key moment of Kloden's career. I really think that he would have podiumed that race if he hadn't gotten sick and/or peaked too early (winning Romandie; nobody seems to ride the Giro well after winning Romandie).

I also wish that he had tried at the Vuelta at least once, but he never seemed to have the motivation or recuperation required to back up after the Tour. He only seemed to want to try it in '07 and '08. In the first instance Astana were not allowed to race after the TDF fiasco, and the following year Andreas could have been up there in the GC, only we'll never know as he lost four minutes when caught up in a crash on an early flat stage. There are so many what if's about Klodi's career...
User avatar gregrowlerson

07 Apr 2017 14:45

gregrowlerson wrote:
SHAD0W93 wrote:
gregrowlerson wrote:

I disagree that with the possibility of riding for Armstrong, that therefore he wasn't in top potential GC riding shape suggestion. In '04 and '06 he arrived in France with the strict objective to ride for Jan, yet still had the shape to contend for the GC when circumstances changed. In 2010 Andreas simply wasn't quite as good as he was in 2009, his lesser early season results show that. The question is really whether Kloden could have climbed as well in 2011 as in 2009 (yes, he cracked on Columbierre, but was one of the big four on Romme, plus was strong on the 'little' Bernard). If he could have then he would have been top 5 for sure (even with the low amount of ITT) without the crashes, but I just don't know if he could have held on as well in the high mountains at the age of 36 as compared to when 34.

You are right about those crashes effecting him thereafter. It was an amazing effort to comeback and place 11th in 2012. Whilst way off the level of the top GC guys, he battled on admirably.

Yes, the '08 Giro is a key moment of Kloden's career. I really think that he would have podiumed that race if he hadn't gotten sick and/or peaked too early (winning Romandie; nobody seems to ride the Giro well after winning Romandie).

I also wish that he had tried at the Vuelta at least once, but he never seemed to have the motivation or recuperation required to back up after the Tour. He only seemed to want to try it in '07 and '08. In the first instance Astana were not allowed to race after the TDF fiasco, and the following year Andreas could have been up there in the GC, only we'll never know as he lost four minutes when caught up in a crash on an early flat stage. There are so many what if's about Klodi's career...

Another moment of what could have been. Kloden looked so great early in the '08 Giro (and coming off his Romandie triumph); on the early slopes of the final climb on stage 14 he looked a likely podium finisher. Looks can be deceiving though, and his subsequent cracking over the final few kms was only the beginning of worse to come for Andreas. It turns out that his 'peak' lasted from Romandie through to stage 10 (ITT). I am guessing that the rain on stage 11 was the start of him becoming sick.

Great that this 2008 Giro is all on Youtube (in English) now though!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lbDThaQ4M

08 Apr 2017 12:07

Previous

Return to Professional road racing