Register

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Feb 2011 07:59

Havetts wrote:Wow.. Did you just make all that up :D? Would be a fun scenario, just cause Andy loses the tour...

But honestly this year I think top 10 is the best Klöden will do, seeing he lost alot of time the first stage in the alps this year too.

It was a piece of cake making all of that up.

On a slightly more realistic note, I think that the best that Andreas can dream of is a 3rd place finish behind A. Schleck and Basso, whom I can't see him matching in the mountains. And to take 3rd would require a lot of luck, but if Kloden is closer to 2009 form than 2010 then he may be able to compete with the likes of S. Sanchez and Gesink on some of the climbs, and Evans is always prone to having a bad day and/or some bad luck. Or perhaps Kloden can be about the 6th best climber in the field, but limit his losses well, and have good results in the TTT and ITT. As for F. Schleck I think that he may be the 3rd best climber in the race, but domestique duties may limit his potential to finish on the podium in Paris.

Of course 3rd is still dreaming (he may not even finish 3rd on his team!), but top 5 is very realistic for Kloden IF he has a good first week.

But at his advanced age, top 20 might be a good result.
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack :)

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1 :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

11 Mar 2011 02:06

Maybe a podium spot in Paris is still possible. Terrific stage win on the 'Queen' stage in Paris-Nice. Great stuff Klodi!!!
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack :)

11 Mar 2011 03:27

I've gone on record before saying Cadel is my sentimental fav at the Tour ftw or podium, but I had never thought about Klodi. If I had to pick a second sentimental fav for a top 10 or maybe podium, Klodi is one.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Andreas Klöden is back!

11 Mar 2011 20:14

I was surprised to read that Andreas Klöden won that stage in Paris-Nice yesterday, I thought he was still lost somewhere on the Col de la Colombière, but I guess not. What will this surprise comeback mean for the tour? Will he be able to challence team schlux this summer?
User avatar quarterpounder

Kloden

11 Mar 2011 21:39

I had made a prediction in another thread that Kloden still has big wins in him. :)

Yep, on the road to a good season. I think he is going big. Will he have the power and the confidence along with some team support for TdF? He has had some good tours in the past.
McClimber

11 Mar 2011 21:48

Will get destroyed in the Tour.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

11 Mar 2011 22:41

I am happy with Kloden's 4th place result in the ITT. Still 2nd overall and should finish on the podium in Nice. The last stage could be interesting. I'd like to see Radioshack put men on the front on the 2nd last climb and ride hard from there, and try to crack Martin. He is a handy climber at times Martin, so maybe he can be a serious GC threat in the future in GT's, especially if they actually bother to put at least 80 kms of ITT in one of them.

Andreas seems to have good legs at this stage of the season. This latest result shows that he can still TT, and this may still be important come the end of the TDF in the 41 km test against the clock. Frank Schleck showed that he still isn't much good in this discipline, and he is likely to be one of Kloden's main opponents for a top 5 TDF finish.

With Jani and Levi doing okay too, perhaps the Shack will be stronger at the TDF than first thought? Hoping for a big result from them in the TTT - noticed that Team Leopard didn't have a great result in Italy, even with Cancerella riding hard.

11 Mar 2011 22:47

quarterpounder wrote:I thought he was still lost somewhere on the Col de la Colombière

Good quote!

11 Mar 2011 23:21

El Pistolero wrote:Will get destroyed in the Tour.

Maybe if he learns / decides to pick up a little of that Vino MoJo he'll be able to do something special.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Mar 2011 04:40

he is a good rider. i hope he does well this season. he didn't raise his arms when
he hit the line either. he was A:too tired B: too cool. a very gritty sprint.imo.
User avatar usedtobefast

13 Mar 2011 23:04

Oh Yeah.

Paris-Nice

Second and a stage win.

And second in points.

Sweet!!

What did I say?!?!
McClimber

14 Mar 2011 11:44

I'm wondering why they didn't send Leipheimer or Brajkovic off in one of the breaks to make HTC work and eventually wear down Martin's domestiques in hopes of isolating him. The conditions weren't such that they were going to be able to simply ride at a tempo that would have Martin suffering, especially with on the descents where everyone except those in the breaks were really trying to avoid taking any risks, which was very understandable. I think Shack had conceded the win to Martin already and were content to hold onto their podium spot and prized top team prize. I'm guessing they were fearful of the risk of injury to any of their top three this early in the season.
User avatar Angliru

14 Mar 2011 14:24

Watching Brajkovic work enthusiastically for Klodi last week my first thought was Brajkovic will expect a favor in return.

The unwritten rule in the peloton and in inter-team at shack is reciprocity. Scratch mine and I'll scratch yours

I think Klodi got his last week and now is a work horse
User avatar Boeing

15 Mar 2011 01:00

Kloden is still a top dog on the team. Even when he is working for someone else in the TdF he still finishes strong.

Janez Brajkovic might have been 1st at Dauphiné but still 43 at the 2010 TdF.

1 hour and 23 minutes down. That is a lot.

RS still have Horner and Leipheimer in the mix. Horner was their best TdF finisher.

Hard to say with Johan.
McClimber

15 Mar 2011 04:42

McClimber wrote:Kloden is still a top dog on the team. Even when he is working for someone else in the TdF he still finishes strong.

RS still have Horner and Leipheimer in the mix. Horner was their best TdF finisher.

Hard to say with Johan.

You may have noticed that The Shack employed Brajkovic last July as Mr. Armstrong's personal guide and bodyguard through the hills of France... :mad: He literally had to wait and pull for Lance on just about every mountain stage, even several times once Lance was out of the GC picture. I'm not saying he would have been a contender, but you can't measure his potential from that relatively mediocre placing.
"He who laughs when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on."
User avatar royalpig180

15 Mar 2011 08:35

McClimber wrote:Kloden is still a top dog on the team. Even when he is working for someone else in the TdF he still finishes strong.

Hard to say with Johan.

Hard to care, too.
Mellow Velo

15 Mar 2011 09:07

Brajkovic, Klöden and Leipheimer could finish between 5th-10th in the Tour, but I cannot see any of them challenging for a podium.
Jan the Man

27 Mar 2011 01:15

Very disappointing performance from Klodi in Corsica. Climbing form was no better than at last years TDF - worse even. Hopefully it was just a (very) bad day. But 23rd at 3:27 behind Frankie does not bode well for July. :-(

Though at least Andreas was ahead of Bradley. :-)

27 Mar 2011 01:41

gregrowlerson wrote:Very disappointing performance from Klodi in Corsica. Climbing form was no better than at last years TDF - worse even. Hopefully it was just a (very) bad day. But 23rd at 3:27 behind Frankie does not bode well for July. :-(

Though at least Andreas was ahead of Bradley. :-)

Dont neccesarily mean much. The Olympic champion was dreadful too. Hell hes the best descender in the world and he got out descended by a Euskatel rider in PN.

But when July comes round, hes 90% going to be back to his best there. No reason why Klodis poor performance today needs to mean guaranteed failure in Le Tour.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

27 Mar 2011 06:14

Does Kloden still wear that goofy "Pirates of Penzance" earring? It was always one of the main reasons I couldnt take a shine to the lad. I think it was that combined with his nostril expander thing and the fact that he always rides like his glasses have fogged up and he is trying to look underneath the rim.

Anyway it would be great for him if he could finish 14th in the tour wouldnt it....He never did really kick on did he?
User avatar fatsprintking

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing