Register

Will Gilbert complete the "ardennes triple" by winning liege?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2011 14:56

Yes
58%
No
35%
Not sure
7%

Total votes : 101

20 Apr 2011 14:55

Discuss...
User avatar auscyclefan94

20 Apr 2011 14:56

Yes.

No discussion needed ^^
User avatar Havetts

20 Apr 2011 14:58

i would also go with yes. but last year gilbert also was the strongest guy (arguably) and didn't won. doesn't matter how strong he is if he doesn't follow the right move he won't win
User avatar Parrulo

20 Apr 2011 14:59

Do we really need a Liege thread alongside the Liege thread?
User avatar will10

20 Apr 2011 15:00

Yes. No discussion needed after todays performance. Close thread. Comes little bit late. ;)

Ah, I see you voted "no", to stand out somehow.
User avatar Cobblestoned

20 Apr 2011 15:01

will10 wrote:Do we really need a Liege thread alongside the Liege thread?

this is a poll :p

but ya this will also get discussed a lot in the liege thread anyway

still good to have a poll tho ^_^
User avatar Parrulo

20 Apr 2011 15:02

I voted no :p

It's going to be hard. Just look at Cancellara this year.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Apr 2011 15:04

Yes. When even people like Vanendert can finish top-6 in Fleche he won't be outmanouvered.
User avatar roundabout

20 Apr 2011 15:05

El Pistolero wrote:I voted no :p

It's going to be hard. Just look at Cancellara this year.

too be honest i don't think people will pull a cancellara on gilbert. because the ardennes are full of tommeke/canc type of guys who want to win themselves and i bet the shlecks and the spanish armada guys prefer to lose to gilbert while trying to win themselves then letting the win go to a non favourite
User avatar Parrulo

No. Vino****ingcourov defends his LBL win.
User avatar spalco

I hope Leopard send Jens into the break at about 90k. Then look at Gilbert and say, bring this back yourself mate. I will be very upset if any of the other teams help Gilbert out. Just like Spartacus was forced to on cobbles, Gilbert, having owned everyone in some style, should be made to (though he does actually have a team to help him) get the victory himself.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

20 Apr 2011 15:08

I think he'll do it.

Last year he was beaten by good teamwork by Vino and Contador, and Gilbert and not having strong teammates wen it mattered.

On the other hand, both Gilbert, and his domestiques, look in outstanding form, and are ready and capable to do damage.

Also, who's going to beat him? The Schlecks are good but not great, and the Spanish mountain goats (Sanchez, Anton, Rodriguez) have learned that they can no longer drop Gilbert at will when the gradient rises over 10%.
"Vex not his ghost. O, let him pass. He hates him
That would upon the rack of this tough world
Stretch him out longer."

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
User avatar Moondance

20 Apr 2011 15:12

The Hitch wrote:I hope Leopard send Jens into the break at about 90k. Then look at Gilbert and say, bring this back yourself mate. I will be very upset if any of the other teams help Gilbert out. Just like Spartacus was forced to on cobbles, Gilbert, having owned everyone in some style, should be made to (though he does actually have a team to help him) get the victory himself.

Why else would they have Voigt in their team? :D

Voigt would be a cool winner, but he'll need someone like Vino with him to stay away at the end. And no one will let Vino go that soon. Who can you think of that would make a good pair with Voigt for the breakaway?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

20 Apr 2011 15:14

The Hitch wrote:I hope Leopard send Jens into the break at about 90k. Then look at Gilbert and say, bring this back yourself mate. I will be very upset if any of the other teams help Gilbert out. Just like Spartacus was forced to on cobbles, Gilbert, having owned everyone in some style, should be made to (though he does actually have a team to help him) get the victory himself.

Wasn't that Saxo's exact tactic last year? :p
"Vex not his ghost. O, let him pass. He hates him
That would upon the rack of this tough world
Stretch him out longer."

William Shakespeare
King Lear - Act 5, scene III

Come Join Our New Forum
User avatar Moondance

20 Apr 2011 15:15

spalco wrote:No. Vino****ingcourov defends his LBL win.

Thats what I thought too, till around 16:30 today.
There is no way to win more impressive on the Mur and at Amstel.

I think even Vino felt a little pain today.
User avatar Cobblestoned

ya but gilbert will still have team mates with 90k to go. helll VDB2 will prolly still be there with 15k to go
User avatar Parrulo

No.

He will have to beat Vino, the Schlecks, Samu, Katusha.

Of course I will not be surprised if he wins, but the odds are stacked against him.

Even if they don't treat him with the same contempt as "they" did Cancellara, it will still be tough.
Ferminal

20 Apr 2011 15:18

Yep, he'll succeed Trebellin. I don't expect any Cancellara-scenario's (and I think the difference in power between Gilbert and the competition is bigger than it was between Cancellara and his competitors this year). The final of a race like LBL is quite short, nothing happens before the Roche-aux-Foucons, and it's only 20km from there, after that, there is not as much room for tactical games like in Paris-Roubaix, it's more a matter of strength, and they can't beat Gilbert there.

If they want to have a chance, they should make it a long and hard race, but that requires sacrificing your team, they'll be too scared to do that.
Lanark

20 Apr 2011 15:18

Ferminal wrote:No.

He will have to beat Vino, the Schlecks, Samu, Katusha.

Of course I will not be surprised if he wins, but the odds are stacked against him.

Even if they don't treat him with the same contempt as "they" did Cancellara, it will still be tough.

To be fair, he did do that twice already.

User avatar El Pistolero

20 Apr 2011 15:19

Lanark wrote:Yep, he'll succeed Trebellin. I don't expect any Cancellara-scenario's (and I think the difference in power between Gilbert and the competition is bigger than it was between Cancellara and his competitors this year). The final of a race like LBL is quite short, nothing happens before the Roche-aux-Foucons, and it's only 20km from there, after that, there is not as much room for tactical games like in Paris-Roubaix, it's more a matter of strength, and they can't beat Gilbert there.

If they want to have a chance, they should make it a long and hard race, but that requires sacrificing your team, they'll be too scared to do that.

That favors Gilbert :p

User avatar El Pistolero

Next

Return to Professional road racing