Register

Giro 2012: Route Rumours / Our wishes

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

What do you think about Alpe D'Huez in the Giro?

Awesome!
13%
Great news
23%
Not that awesome compared to other italian climbs
43%
Will be the warm-up before the real mountains
9%
Will be considered as a flat stage by RCS
12%

Total votes : 182

11 Aug 2011 18:17

jens_attacks wrote:i've read it yesterday,it will be a hard race and i hope there will be two ITTs,we need that,one of 50 km,other one 30-40 km and please no useless stage to milano,let the decisive ITT

That would please Wiggo, he is rather certain to ride Giro-Olympics schedule.
Gloin22

11 Aug 2011 18:38

Michele wrote:On RAI tonite it was reported that after 3 days in Danmark, they would move to Verona for a nite TTT.

Then there would be also the Stelvio, by trying to do the highest finish/passage (?) in EU at 2900metres.

Stelvio is 2763m. From there you can only go higher on unpaved roads and these roads are insanely steep. The road to Ortlerhaus has 20 to 30%.
User avatar Lupetto

11 Aug 2011 19:25

Michele wrote:Then there would be also the Stelvio, by trying to do the highest finish/passage (?) in EU at 2900metres.

Are they going to climb the mountain itself? :D
Seriously, no way they'll go up there. Even if the road was good, there's too much snow in may.
User avatar Eshnar

11 Aug 2011 19:45

Gloin22 wrote:That would please Wiggo, he is rather certain to ride Giro-Olympics schedule.

Wiggins will go for the Giro?

That would shock me but if he really went for it he would gain a lot of respect from me and hopefully a lot of others.

Lupetto wrote:Stelvio is 2763m. From there you can only go higher on unpaved roads and these roads are insanely steep. The road to Ortlerhaus has 20 to 30%.

Isnt Grossglockner the highest mountain pass in europe? (though obviously they never went to the top this year seeing as Giau got Cimma Coppi status).

Going up 20%-30% roads to 2900 after Stelvio would be shocking. Really something. If they did it i would see it as almost as brave a decision as Crostis Zoncolan.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Aug 2011 19:54

The Hitch wrote:Isnt Grossglockner the highest mountain pass in europe? (though obviously they never went to the top this year seeing as Giau got Cimma Coppi status).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paved_roads_in_Europe

Top road is in Austria, but it's the road to the Tiefenbachferner. The Rettenbachferner climb goes up part of the way (to about 2670 if memory serves me correctly), but the road goes higher - just that that would put most of the last 2km in a tunnel!

The Cime de la Bonette is the next highest, but that is of course a loop that was added on to the existing Col for the purpose of being the highest road.

The highest pure paved pass in Europe is therefore the Col de l'Iseran at 2770m, just ahead of the Stelvio.

Edit: How on earth did Kaunertal get overlooked for the 'great unknown climbs' thread? 38,5km, averaging 5%, and there's a long period of flat in the middle, sure, but then the last 11km or so, you have 5km @ 9,2%, then a bit of false flat before averaging 10,4% for the last bit!

What's more, unlike Nivolet, there's actually a station at the top of the road, so you could most definitely put a race finishing there!
User avatar Libertine Seguros

11 Aug 2011 20:32

The Hitch wrote:Wiggins will go for the Giro?

That would shock me but if he really went for it he would gain a lot of respect from me and hopefully a lot of others.

He said that the team would decide depending on recovery this year after the Tour, obviously he was out but Thomas doesnt look best. Then he said, if he's not doing Tour, he will go full for GC Giro with Thomas. And then prepare for Olympics.
Gloin22

11 Aug 2011 21:12

LS, I didn't expect such inaccurate reference from you ;)

That wiki list is a missing something: the highest dead end paved road in Europe is Mount Veleta. Tarmac ends at 3200 m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcKXM721P8A
icefire

11 Aug 2011 21:27

Why are so many famous climbs not on the list. Do they not qualify as paved roads or are they ignored? Zoncolan for example goes to 1800 or something but isnt on the list.

icefire wrote:LS, I didn't expect such inaccurate reference from you ;)

That wiki list is a missing something: the highest dead end paved road in Europe is Mount Veleta. Tarmac ends at 3200 m.

That reminds me of when you mentioned during the Giro that the Spanish commentators were getting nationalistic about how Etna wasnt the highest active Volcano in Europe because theres one in Tenerife, lol.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

11 Aug 2011 21:48

Depending on whether you define the Caucasus Range to be in Europe or Asia, there's probably a few rideable, but unsealed, passes at over 3000m.
King Of The Wolds

11 Aug 2011 22:02

icefire wrote:LS, I didn't expect such inaccurate reference from you ;)

It does say it's incomplete. Certainly a lot of things not mentioned (no Torre/Serra da Estrela, for example, the only part of Portugal that would qualify, or some of the other Andorra roads like Arcalis, Pal and La Rabassa).

Hitch's query was whether Großglockner was the highest pass in Europe, however, and the link most certainly disproves that - while we may consider higher roads than the Ötztal Gletscherstraße, do we have any advance on the Col de l'Iseran for highest actual pass?

The other thing, of course, is that the definition of Europe is so fluid. Most places tend to use the Urals as a border, which is fine, but then where is the southern border? As has been mentioned, there are some roads in the Caucasus mountains that ascend beyond this. Then you have the strange definitions of Europe we get with competitions - Kazakhstan play in the European groups in soccer competitions for example, but only a crazy definition would consider them Europe - though they have roads going up very high indeed, some paved, some not.

12 Aug 2011 07:19

Lupetto wrote:Stelvio is 2763m. From there you can only go higher on unpaved roads and these roads are insanely steep. The road to Ortlerhaus has 20 to 30%.

Honestly I've no idea about Stelvio...but 20 to 30% is quiet insane indeed.:eek:
[color="Black"]ciclismo-espresso.com[/color]
User avatar Michele

20 Aug 2011 17:21

It seems there will be an MTF to Cervinia on stage 14. This would be really good if they approach it via St.Pantaleon...
User avatar Eshnar

04 Sep 2011 15:56

now the strong rumour about the Alpe Di Pampeago has returned... it should be the 20th stage, preceeded by Tre Cime Di Lavaredo on stage 19. The Stelvio would be on the beginning of the third week, it's still not clear whether or not it'll be in the same stage of Mortirolo.
User avatar Eshnar

04 Sep 2011 17:15

oh, almost forgot... Vegni confirmed a Strade Bianche stage.
User avatar Eshnar

04 Sep 2011 20:55

Looks like it will be another epic route.
Great to see Stelvio will be back. Was hoping for that for years.:)
Throw in two ITT and more than 3 token sprinter's stages, and we'll have a great race.
User avatar Zoncolan

04 Sep 2011 20:58

Zoncolan wrote:Looks like it will be another epic route.
Throw in two ITT and more than 3 token sprinter's stages, and we'll have a great race.

+1 :cool:
Another route made for Basso/Scarponi? Nibali better concentrate on the TDF then.
killswitch

04 Sep 2011 20:58

Zoncolan wrote:Looks like it will be another epic route.
Throw in two ITT and no more than 3 token sprinter's stages, and we'll have a great race.

Fixed that for you.

04 Sep 2011 21:06

Libertine Seguros wrote:Fixed that for you.

No, no. Don't be like that!
5 sprinters' stages
4 MTFs
2 ITTs
1 Downhill finish
1 more stage with high mountains
5 intermediate stages (escapes)
1 strade bianche
and a TTT?
That would be a perfect route.
@killswitch:well, we don't know enough yet, depends on the amount of ITT km. Also, if there is a downhill finish. Basso is crap on both accounts.
I thought i read the other day that Basso has pretty much given up on winning the Tour.
User avatar Zoncolan

04 Sep 2011 21:15

A TTT and five whole wastes-of-a-day in a perfect route? I think not.

The TTT has no place outside of track cycling.

04 Sep 2011 21:28

Libertine Seguros wrote:A TTT and five whole wastes-of-a-day in a perfect route? I think not.

The TTT has no place outside of track cycling.

I wouldn't call a sprint stage a waste of a day. It's as much a part of road cycling as the TT or climbing/descending. With the start being in Denmark, you're pretty much guaranteed we'll have more than this year.

That's why there's a question mark with the TTT. Not really a huge fan (at least not the Armstrong era length).

Queen stage starting in Bormio, climbing Gavia from Valfurva, then Mortirolo from Monno side, up to Aprica and Ponte di Legno, Gavia from that side and finish on top of Stelvio in a snow storm. [SIZE="1"]Drooling_)[/SIZE]
User avatar Zoncolan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing