Register

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

For Sure
10%
Maybe
24%
Hell No
66%

Total votes : 362

02 Jun 2011 18:05

Bavarianrider wrote:Tony mentally limited:confused::confused:
Hmm but you might be right maybe Tony alcks a bit confidence in himself. Physically the sky is the limit for him.

The sky will be his limit.

User avatar boomcie

02 Jun 2011 18:07

He's definitely a Tour guy rather than a Giro-Vuelta guy (Giro has too much climbing most years, only recent winners to be win-it-in-the-TT have been Savoldelli and Menchov, both of whom are much better climbers than Tony; and the Vuelta has far too little ITT mileage). The Tour's climbs suit him better, and the Tour's routes and high level of control stands him in better position. The problem is that the route this year isn't particularly kind to him.

It's certainly possible he can finish in the 7th-12th area. But he won't light the race on fire. In fact, in order to finish in that position I'd be surprised if we see him more than once in big mountain stages (unless of course he holds the yellow jersey, certainly possible if he's HTC's best performer on stage 1).

Do I think he can win the Tour? No, no I don't. Not now, not ever. Unless they create a joke of a route worse than 2009. He's not proven himself on steep stuff or really challenging finishes on multi-climb stages. His big results have been in a relatively flat edition of Paris-Nice and an embarrassingly flat edition of the Tour de Suisse. Tony can climb, let's not kid ourselves that he can't. But he is not explosive and he is not dynamic as a climber. Many riders who have been criticised for not being explosive or dynamic enough in the mountains, and who you would think suit the Tour best, are significantly better climbers than him - pre-2009 Evans, Leipheimer, even Bruseghin.

Tony will probably make at least one Tour top 10 in his career. I'd be disappointed if he didn't, especially since HTC have been able to pick up top 10s with unfancied names like Pinotti, Velits and Siutsou. They know how to maximise their riders' talents.

But the most talented GC guy on HTC's squad looking ahead to the future, is more than likely Tejay van Garderen.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

02 Jun 2011 18:14

Mellow Velo wrote:First time, I misread the title.
I thought it said: "Tony Martin Broomwagon Thread".:D

Cheap shot.

I like it.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Jun 2011 18:34

boomcie wrote:The sky will be his limit.

Well that are 3 very rolling mountains. I am much more afraid of the Plateu de Beille stage.
User avatar Bavarianrider

02 Jun 2011 18:37

You are not afraid of the fact that they go above 2000m 3 times???

I think that is worse for Martin than a steep climb of 5km
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

02 Jun 2011 18:38

Bavarianrider wrote:Well that are 3 very rolling mountains. I am much more afraid of the Plateu de Beille stage.

Just trying to use the sky-methaphor here Bavarische Reiter. Nevertheless I'm confident he'll get toasted on this stage as well.
User avatar boomcie

02 Jun 2011 18:39

Bavarianrider wrote:Tony mentally limited:confused::confused:
Hmm but you might be right maybe Tony alcks a bit confidence in himself. Physically the sky is the limit for him.

If the sky is not over 500 meters above sea level. :)
Ildabaoth

02 Jun 2011 18:41

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:You are not afraid of the fact that they go above 2000m 3 times???

Okk you are right, the height obviously is a thread. Didn't consider the oxygen factor. Ok i am afraid:eek:

02 Jun 2011 18:44

Bavarianrider wrote:Well that are 3 very rolling mountains. I am much more afraid of the Plateu de Beille stage.

The last 9kms of Agnel's Italian side are never below 9%. Is that the definition of a rolling mountain?
icefire

02 Jun 2011 18:47

icefire wrote:The last 9kms of Agnel's Italian side are never below 9%. Is that the definition of a rolling mountain?

Ok didn't realise it was steep in the end. However, the climb comes very early, so i excpect soft pedaling amonf the favs, so Tony should be fine here.

02 Jun 2011 19:00

Bavarianrider wrote:Ok didn't realise it was steep in the end. However, the climb comes very early, so i excpect soft pedaling amonf the favs, so Tony should be fine here.

I hope for your sakes that they do soft pedal, otherwise Mellow Velo might be right, this might very well become the Tony Martin Broomwagon Thread!! :p

I do believe Tony has the capabilities to make a top 5-10 Tour at some point.
However, at this Tour, 10th would be a fantastic performance.
User avatar jobiwan

02 Jun 2011 19:09

Libertine Seguros wrote:He's definitely a Tour guy rather than a Giro-Vuelta guy.

A good thing for him, considering he doesn't care about these none July races. Giro Vuelta, what the hell is that?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

02 Jun 2011 19:18

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:You are not afraid of the fact that they go above 2000m 3 times???

also I'm not convinced if he can do 3 weeks. he didn't show in the tour 2009 but I think he could be able too, just has to proove it yet
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

The problem with Tony Martin is that he will have to take his turn at the Cavendish train for long periods in at least 5 stages: 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th & 15th. He may have mollycuddle Cavendish in stage 10 and 21 also. The problem with HTC is that they are so focused with the sprints and the TTT that they will sacrifice and destroy whatever miniscule chances that Tony has in the GC. Tony Martin would do better in a different team where he can be a joint leader with a better GC rider. I like him as a rider but unless he gets out of HTC he will never succeed with respect to GC in grand tours.
User avatar koolkinks

boomcie wrote:The sky will be his limit.

my god is this course tailor made for soler or what. also uran
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

02 Jun 2011 19:23

Tony Martin's official results are noteworthy--but nowhere near as notable as his leaked results.

The "big surprise" from Tony Martin ain't gonna be a Tour podium, boys.
ergmonkey

02 Jun 2011 19:24

boomcie wrote:
"Bayerische Reiter" is profiling himself as the German equivalent of ACF, with the difference that his expectations of a certain rider are even less realistic than ACF's. If you want an additional example of this kind of fanaticism: cf. El Pistolet - Gilbert.

It is great to have this breed of passionate people on the forum,

Really? I find it incredibly tiresome. I understand having favourite riders, but blind fanboyism is incredibly annoying.
User avatar hrotha

02 Jun 2011 19:26

Ryo Hazuki wrote:my god is this course tailor made for soler or what. also uran

The irony of this post appearing in a different rider's fanboy thread is almost overwhelming. Nicely done.
ergmonkey

02 Jun 2011 19:26

I'm not expecting Gilbert to ever top 5 in the Tour de France though :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

02 Jun 2011 19:29

hrotha wrote:Really? I find it incredibly tiresome. I understand having favourite riders, but blind fanboyism is incredibly annoying.

indeed. hyping is fun from time to time even going a bit too far just for lulz. but constant hyping and hijacking every single thread with said hyping is really annoying

also posting on every race thread where said hyped rider isn't racing and even if he were he would have no chance of winning and calling the race boring(giro) or unimportant(vuelta, and the vuelta hasn't even started!!!) is just too much.
User avatar Parrulo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing