Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

06 May 2019 19:53

rick james wrote:The wee boy is half a french bulldog and half a Dogue de Bordeaux.....crazy I know
I was way off on my guess, thought I saw half Boxer (sans the very cruel practice of the clipping of the ears) and half something very sturdy... like a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler. Ah well, he's a gorgeous dog anyway,

Paw-fives and welcome to the CN kennel! :cool:
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 May 2019 21:07

And now a message from the Tobster -

Yo, what up, fellow canines?

So, today I got my very first bath in weeks, it felt so refreshing! Especially my butt is what I'm particular about, even I know when it doesn't smell so fresh.

Today I could throw only a very modified conniption after my bath being the human had me on the leash and was making sure I wouldn't hurt myself, but even this kind of conniption was satisfying enough. See me tearing up that terrible whitish towel? Grrrrrrr, I'm so proud of myself!

Paw-fives,

The Tobes

A now a word from the human...

Toby was starting to stink so bad of urine I couldn't take it anymore. So into the bathtub we went like we have for the past 11 years, I have never seen him trying to work the bum leg like he did just then!

I should probably ask the surgeon tomorrow whether I should give Toby more baths just to encourage him to exercise the leg, will let you know.

Paw-fives,

The human

06 May 2019 21:42

Sounds like you've found a way to help Toby's recovery - bath time! Good luck!
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

07 May 2019 14:44

Thanks for the update, it sounds like Toby is recovering very well. I look forward to more updates and hope Toby gets used to trusting his leg more often.
User avatar Pricey_sky

07 May 2019 18:26

:lol:

That's one thing that I like about labs vs. the terrier, labs always like to play in water, the terrier not so much.
jmdirt

08 May 2019 08:58

So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:

User avatar Pricey_sky

Re:

08 May 2019 14:09

Pricey_sky wrote:So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

He loves his favourite blanket that we originally got just for Christmas around 4 years ago, so we dare not get rid of it despite it seeing better days. :lol:

Awwwww, what an adorable addition to the kennel, he looks so cute and mushy! What breed?

No worries about the old blankie, some of Toby's toys should have been tossed a long time ago. But, we don't dare.

Well, here's the latest update on Toby - the surgeon isn't as pleased with Toby's progress as I am, he's definitely recommending intensive, professional physical therapy. Which I completely agree with, so no biggie.

Toby will be getting a haircut later today, that square they had shaved out for the Fentanyl patch looks just too stupid. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with his fur yet, maybe a mohawk or something? Whatever I decide rest assured there will be pictures. :lol:

ebandit - Tara seemed like such a great dog, I've know quite a few in the past. They're all gone now, but memories of them I'll always treasure. Dogs are just awesome.

Re:

08 May 2019 15:09

Pricey_sky wrote:So our little pooch, Rupert, got his haircut after the bank holiday. Its typical that the weather has got colder again! He's sat on the ottoman so he can get a view of the wildlife in the garden and bark at any cats that dare to walk along the fence of 'his property'.

:D
jmdirt

Re: Re:

08 May 2019 15:44

Tricycle Rider wrote:

Awwwww, what an adorable addition to the kennel, he looks so cute and mushy! What breed?

No worries about the old blankie, some of Toby's toys should have been tossed a long time ago. But, we don't dare.

Well, here's the latest update on Toby - the surgeon isn't as pleased with Toby's progress as I am, he's definitely recommending intensive, professional physical therapy. Which I completely agree with, so no biggie.

Toby will be getting a haircut later today, that square they had shaved out for the Fentanyl patch looks just too stupid. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with his fur yet, maybe a mohawk or something? Whatever I decide rest assured there will be pictures. :lol:

ebandit - Tara seemed like such a great dog, I've know quite a few in the past. They're all gone now, but memories of them I'll always treasure. Dogs are just awesome.

He’s a Bichon-Shih Tzu cross, we’ve had him since he was an 8 week old pup almost 5 years ago.

It sounds like the vet is just trying to make sure Toby’s recovery is taken a step at a time, which is no bad thing. Hopefully his haircut goes to plan!
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 May 2019 19:08

Pricey_sky wrote:
He’s a Bichon-Shih Tzu cross, we’ve had him since he was an 8 week old pup almost 5 years ago.

It sounds like the vet is just trying to make sure Toby’s recovery is taken a step at a time, which is no bad thing. Hopefully his haircut goes to plan!
Awww, Rupert is still only a young pup then, enjoy! :)

I have checked out some post-surgery dog haircuts, thought I might go with something like this. Normally this would look really stupid on a terrier mix, but Toby can't possibly look any more stupid than he already does now.

Well, the artistic vision is there anyway, whether I'm able to execute it is a whole other matter. The other matter being Toby, I would need the best of cooperation from him. :lol:

26 May 2019 18:51

https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1132671037282217986
A super special fan for @DarioCataldo
- see video!
Anything about Fran Millar goes in The Clinic.
User avatar Robert5091

26 May 2019 23:01

Out on the trails today (take two since an earlier ride was rained out) I met a guy with a Cane Corso/Pit/Bull Boar. Needless to say, he was a large, scary looking dog, but all he wanted was neck rubs. :)
jmdirt

Re:

27 May 2019 01:42

Robert5091 wrote:https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1132671037282217986
A super special fan for @DarioCataldo
- see video!
I was wondering what was up with all those pooches hanging around after the finish line (they definitely didn't look like drug-sniffing dogs), I didn't have the sound on, so didn't know.

Even though this one was wearing some Astana gear even Nibali had to say hello. I thought that was kinda nice.

Yay for the therapy dogs, they don't care how tired/sick you are or how bad you smell, they'll always wag their tail for you! :cool:

And yet another edit...

Still not sure why the pooches were there having just all access to the riders after this stage, but one thing I can say for sure...

If these are truly trained therapy dogs and the riders don't appreciate them we would love to have these dogs at the local hospital. It's not just for the sick kids in the cancer ward, it's for the staff as well.

Trained therapy dogs are just way too awesome!

31 May 2019 19:17

Today I met a Great Dane with ski goggles, a hat, and a dry fit shirt on! :) I stopped for a lady and her GD on a skinny section of single track and had to inquire: she is white with pink skin so she burns around her eyes and inside of her ears. They prefer hiking after the sun goes down, but since we have been having storms every night, they decided to get out while the gettin' was good.
jmdirt

04 Jul 2019 19:06

What are all of the pooches doing for July 4? :)
jmdirt

Re:

14 Jul 2019 03:03

jmdirt wrote:What are all of the pooches doing for July 4? :)
Sorry to reply so late, but...

I don't think Toby's surgery went so well, after taking him to the physical therapist she referred me back to the surgeon to see if Toby still even can move the leg and has the range of motion. It's probable that by the time he finally had the surgery there was already so much damage and muscle atrophy that maybe we should have just left well enough alone. So that's what I'm doing now... as long as he's not in pain I don't want to put him through much more.

Anyhoo, on the 4th Toby partook in some barbecue eating, and being there weren't too many fireworks in my area he didn't freak out too badly.

He's definitely slowing down, though, in his younger years he would have freaked out and would have just hidden under my bed at the first sign of fireworks noise.

Ageing - it sucks for all of us.

14 Jul 2019 03:52

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:What are all of the pooches doing for July 4? :)
Sorry to reply so late, but...

I don't think Toby's surgery went so well, after taking him to the physical therapist she referred me back to the surgeon to see if Toby still even can move the leg and has the range of motion. It's probable that by the time he finally had the surgery there was already so much damage and muscle atrophy that maybe we should have just left well enough alone. So that's what I'm doing now... as long as he's not in pain I don't want to put him through much more.

Anyhoo, on the 4th Toby partook in some barbecue eating, and being there weren't too many fireworks in my area he didn't freak out too badly.

He's definitely slowing down, though, in his younger years he would have freaked out and would have just hidden under my bed at the first sign of fireworks noise.

Ageing - it sucks for all of us.

Tell me about it!
I hope that Toby can just chill and enjoy life for a while!
Buddy absolutely hated the 4th of July activities! I just kept him on my lap and turned Your Tube volume up so that he couldn't hear most of the stupidity outside.
jmdirt

16 Jul 2019 18:48

jmdirt wrote:Tell me about it!
I hope that Toby can just chill and enjoy life for a while!
Buddy absolutely hated the 4th of July activities! I just kept him on my lap and turned Your Tube volume up so that he couldn't hear most of the stupidity outside.
You'll have to refresh my memory because my brain isn't so, well, fresh anymore. Have you posted pictures of Buddy before? No worries if it's a kitty, btw., sometimes I take a peek into the cat thread as well. :)

Speaking of cats and/or dogs... do any of you fine animal lovers like to read the Get Fuzzy and Garfield comics?

Personally I find Get Fuzzy pretty funny because both the cat and the dog characters have their own amiable flaws. But Garfield I only check out once in a while, that comic I just find to be mean-spirited and not even remotely amusing.

Previous

Return to General