Register

Building A Cycling Bookshelf

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

20 Apr 2012 04:35

Does anyone read "Rouleur"? How does it compare to "The Ride"?

Have to order online here, wondering if it is worth it.
"ZE Goggles! Zey Do Nossing!" issoisso
eljimberino

20 Apr 2012 08:25

elapid wrote:I found it was not the easiest book to read

If that's the case then stay away from this one: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2012/2/17/2804276/uwe-johnson-the-third-book-about-achim
User avatar fmk_RoI

23 Apr 2012 19:50

User avatar fmk_RoI

28 Apr 2012 12:26

Cyclepedia by Michael Embacher

Collection of photos and descriptions of classic and not so classic bikes.
User avatar LongSprint

28 May 2012 17:24

Reading "Riis" at the mo, anyone finished this yet? didn't see a review on podium cafe yet. Only a few pages in so far...
my username is flish

28 May 2012 17:50

my username is flish wrote:Reading "Riis" at the mo, anyone finished this yet? didn't see a review on podium cafe yet. Only a few pages in so far...

Danish version was out winter 2010. It's a good read.
DominicDecoco

28 May 2012 18:02

DominicDecoco wrote:Danish version was out winter 2010. It's a good read.

whoops, should have said i was reading the english version alright. aye, liking it so far.
my username is flish

29 May 2012 11:52

"So anyone actually read the two Merckx books yet? Opinions?"

I have finished both and they are both good. The Fotheringham one I found much better tho. Friebe had no access to Merckx...apparently Eddy had signed a contract with someone else (Fotheringham?) to talk to noone else writing a bio for the time being...and Fotheringham is a better writer to me...Friebe tends to hit a purple patch at times and overwrite...

There is some good stuff in the Friebe bio which makes you chuckle tho...Van Looy agrees to do an interview for the first time in 5 years or so and prompty changes his mind while answering the first question and hangs up the phone...

Both are quality books and definitely worth reading...tho I would say get the Fotheringham book if you are only going to read one of them...
The Gnome

01 Jun 2012 06:05

The Falcon wrote:No mention of M. Paul Fournel's "Need for the bike" ?

Hey!~ I really want to read that. Have you? What do you think of it?

I tried to get it on Kindle, but it's only available in paperback. It's great buying books and having them arrive in twenty seconds.

Meanwhile, I highly recommend 'Cycling's Golden Age' by Shelly and Brett Horton. It covers the post-war years from 1946-67 and gives a good overview of the era's greats. It's a coffee-table book with great photos.
With all the changes you've been through, seems the stranger's always you
User avatar Stingray34

04 Jun 2012 17:29

OK, so how did people on this thread get their hands on "Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal" by Daniel Friebe?

Amazon (US) have just cancelled my order because they are unable to obtain the book, and Chapters (Canada) do not have the book until the release date on 25th September 2012.

Any help would be much appreciated!
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

04 Jun 2012 19:29

Just finished the cleverly titled "Sex, Lies and Handlebartape", and enjoyable biography, if something of an apologia, of Jacques Anquetil.

3.5/5
"There's someone coming through the mist . . . it can't be . . . it is! .. Oh, sorry, my mistake. It isn't"
User avatar Armchair cyclist

04 Jun 2012 19:58

elapid wrote:OK, so how did people on this thread get their hands on "Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal" by Daniel Friebe?

Amazon (US) have just cancelled my order because they are unable to obtain the book, and Chapters (Canada) do not have the book until the release date on 25th September 2012.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Amazon uk brought me mine, and they seem to have it still. There is an itunes version if your into reading on an ipad. Haven't started reading mine yet, went for pedalare pedalare by Foot during the giro - I am now entering the dark ages of italian cycling.

@ stingray: the need for a bike is worth a wait, so order the paperback.

@Gnome: Fotheringham didn't have access to Eddy, I think its a Belgian writer who has the exclusive, the story about Eddy picking up at airport is maybe 10 years old and already published long ago in a cycle mag.
Suedehead

04 Jun 2012 20:39

Suedehead wrote:Amazon uk brought me mine, and they seem to have it still.

Thanks - just ordered it through Amazon UK. I usually buy fiction books electronically, but prefer biographies and non-fictional books in hardcover. Thanks again.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

05 Jun 2012 09:33

Suedehead wrote:Amazon uk brought me mine, and they seem to have it still. There is an itunes version if your into reading on an ipad. Haven't started reading mine yet, went for pedalare pedalare by Foot during the giro - I am now entering the dark ages of italian cycling.

@ stingray: the need for a bike is worth a wait, so order the paperback.

@Gnome: Fotheringham didn't have access to Eddy, I think its a Belgian writer who has the exclusive, the story about Eddy picking up at airport is maybe 10 years old and already published long ago in a cycle mag.

Thanks, that's all the recommendation I need. I'll order it. Maybe the Anquetil one, too.
With all the changes you've been through, seems the stranger's always you
User avatar Stingray34

05 Jun 2012 11:09

Who can read German? I have the following biographies/autobiographies which I am wiling to give away in exchange for postage:

Fabian Cancellaras Welt

Udo Bölts: Quäl dich, du Sau

Marcel Wüst: Sprinterjahre

Jens Voigt: Man muss kämpfen

Susan

PS: The Anquetil book was very good, both the sporting and the post-career personal aspects.....
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
User avatar Susan Westemeyer

05 Jun 2012 11:21

The Death of Marco Pantani is a great book. It is sad, but so detailed and well researched.

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oui! Oui! Oui! Australian Cyclists In 100 Years Of Tour De France by Rupert Guiness is a happier and interesting read.
User avatar Glockers

05 Jun 2012 18:10

my username is flish wrote:Reading "Riis" at the mo, anyone finished this yet? didn't see a review on podium cafe yet. Only a few pages in so far...

Is a good read. Obviously problematic, in terms of things said and not said, but a good read. Will be reviewing it on Cyclismas this wk. Someone else supposed to be doing it on PdC. Did a prequel series that's worth rding:

http://cyclismas.com/2012/05/riishomon-a-heros-tale-part-1/
http://cyclismas.com/2012/05/riishomon-a-heros-tale-part-2/
http://cyclismas.com/2012/06/riishomon-a-heros-tale-part-3/
http://cyclismas.com/2012/06/riishomon-a-heros-tale-part-4/

Last part is the one you really want to read.
User avatar fmk_RoI

05 Jun 2012 18:13

The Gnome wrote:Friebe had no access to Merckx...apparently Eddy had signed a contract with someone else (Fotheringham?) to talk to noone else writing a bio for the time being.

Neither had access to Merckx as Fothers admitted in his int on Cyclismas. He relied on two old ints he did, Friebe got to meet Merckx twice while researchng the book, so all told, it's honours even on that one. The book Merckx is contracted to is his own.
User avatar fmk_RoI

05 Jun 2012 18:14

Stingray34 wrote:Hey!~ I really want to read that. Have you? What do you think of it?

Should be a must read for everyone. Is a beautiful little book.
User avatar fmk_RoI

05 Jun 2012 18:45

Just pre-ordered new Gino Bartali book scheduled for release in about a week. First book about Bartali written in English, very excited for it!

http://roadtovalorbook.com/
[SIZE="2"]El Rey[/SIZE]
User avatar nvpacchi

PreviousNext

Return to General