Register

ESPN = Idiots

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

ESPN = Idiots

12 Jul 2011 19:59

ESPN has a commentator, Micheal Smith, who has said that he thought the video of Flecha and Hoogerland was funny

that crash is hilarious. Every. Time."

Many cyclists have called him out on it....which has led to him taunting them and encourginng his many followers to do the same

Today I've managed offend cyclists everywhere. Guess what? It's still funny."

http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith

Classless
User avatar Race Radio

12 Jul 2011 20:01

Sooo that guy is never getting a single interview of any cyclist. I would suggest he throws himself through the air into some barbed wire and see if he still thinks it's funny. Moron.
Unashamed Schlecklet fan!
User avatar Ramira

12 Jul 2011 20:04

Race Radio wrote:ESPN has a commentator, Micheal Smith, who has said that he thought the video of Flecha and Hoogerland was funny

Many cyclists have called him out on it....which has led to him taunting them and encourginng his many followers to do the same

http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith

Classless

Don't feed the trolls. I've never heard of him and he is obviously loving the attention because he isn't known for anything else. He's just a typical hack journalist and blowhard.

Do you really expect anything else from a guy who makes his living reporting on the NFL?
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

12 Jul 2011 20:07

He's a classless jacka$$. I hope that ESPN recognizes this and relegates him to covering hot dog eating contests and ice fishing in sub zero weather.
User avatar Angliru

12 Jul 2011 20:10

this the explicit ignorance of the AMERICAN sport reporters unfamiliar with the sport and yet entitled to opine in such absurd manner about an incident of that cruel nature..... but looking at the guy- what more can anyone expect from an obese stupid reporter like him who probably hasn't ever ridden a bicycle in his miserable life...? :mad:
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

12 Jul 2011 20:11

Mrs John Murphy wrote:Don't feed the trolls. I've never heard of him and he is obviously loving the attention because he isn't known for anything else. He's just a typical hack journalist and blowhard.

Do you really expect anything else from a guy who makes his living reporting on the NFL?

If he was just a troll I would not have said anything. He is one of ESPN's more visible reporters and has close to 100,000 followers on twitter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/tour-de-france-car-crashing-into-cyclists-draws-laughs-from-espns-michael-smith/2011/07/12/gIQAM3pxAI_blog.html
User avatar Race Radio

12 Jul 2011 20:11

probably the same guy that trolled during the football world cup?
The Sheep

12 Jul 2011 20:14

Whats this a classless american with a big mouth? I'm shocked.
therhodeo

12 Jul 2011 20:17

Mrs John Murphy wrote:Don't feed the trolls. I've never heard of him and he is obviously loving the attention because he isn't known for anything else. He's just a typical hack journalist and blowhard.

He is hardly just some troll. Do you think ESPN would put somebody who was a hack on the NFL? In the US the NFL would be nirvana, the hack reporter gets cycling.

He a ****** and I hope Gary Fisher follows through on his promise to punch him in the face.
User avatar JRTinMA

Get Lance onto him.
User avatar thehog

hfer07 wrote:this the explicit ignorance of the AMERICAN sport reporters unfamiliar with the sport and yet entitled to opine in such absurd manner about an incident of that cruel nature..... but looking at the guy- what more can anyone expect from an obese stupid reporter like him who probably hasn't ever ridden a bicycle in his miserable life...? :mad:

Is this really an opportunity to stereotype AMERICAN sport reporters? Does one reporter's lack of class represent the profession in America as a whole?
Let's be fair here.
User avatar Angliru

12 Jul 2011 20:19

therhodeo wrote:Whats this a classless american with a big mouth? I'm shocked.

What's this, another generalization of American's? I'm even more shocked.
User avatar Angliru

12 Jul 2011 20:20

Race Radio wrote:If he was just a troll I would not have said anything. He is one of ESPN's more visible reporters and has close to 100,000 followers on twitter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/tour-de-france-car-crashing-into-cyclists-draws-laughs-from-espns-michael-smith/2011/07/12/gIQAM3pxAI_blog.html

He's trolling for hits. This is the point these days - say something controversial get lots of hits, extra page views. That is the name of the game in sports media these days.

He is a hack journalist looking for hits. Nothing beats a heat-noise-light controversy. Too arrogant to realize that he overstepped the mark, too much in the hack bubble and too ignorant of the real world, so digs himself deeper.
Justcycling

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
User avatar Mrs John Murphy

12 Jul 2011 20:21

Angliru wrote:Is this really an opportunity to stereotype AMERICAN sport reporters? Does one reporter's lack of class represent the profession in America as a whole?
Let's be fair here.

Angliru: Please read once more what I wrote:

hfer07 wrote:[color="DimGray"]this the explicit ignorance of the [/color]AMERICAN sport reporters unfamiliar with the sport [color="DimGray"]and yet entitled to opine in such absurd manner about an incident of that cruel nature.[/color]
;)
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07

12 Jul 2011 20:23

Michael Smith is one of the most respected analysts in sports. I'm shocked he would say that. I'll probably watch around the horn today to see if he says anything, but that kind of comment is despicable.

EDIT: I'm now reading he has continually defended his comments in response to critics :mad:
User avatar ImmaculateKadence

12 Jul 2011 20:27

Here's the disgusting breakdown for those just tuning in...

For real, am I wrong for laughing at that Tour de France crash? Can't get over the driver speeding off as if he didn't know he hit someone!
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith/status/90532487813537792

I'm sorry that crash is hilarious. Every. Time.
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith/status/90539435388715008

It had far been too long since I'd angered an entire community. Today I've managed offend cyclists everywhere. Guess what? It's still funny.
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith/status/90606872075321344

i'd like to apologize to cyclists, people who ride bikes, people who know people who ride bikes, and even paperboys. Happy? I miss anybody?
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith/status/90613389457502209
User avatar Granville57

12 Jul 2011 20:28

Angliru wrote:What's this, another generalization of American's? I'm even more shocked.

Born in Kansas currently in Oklahoma. If anyone knows how classless the majority of America is I do.
therhodeo

12 Jul 2011 20:28

Angliru wrote:Is this really an opportunity to stereotype AMERICAN sport reporters? Does one reporter's lack of class represent the profession in America as a whole?
Let's be fair here.

No Angliru, its apparently an opportunity to stereotype all Americans lol.

therhodeo wrote:Whats this a classless american with a big mouth? I'm shocked.
User avatar JRTinMA

12 Jul 2011 20:30

If you are mad about this (and you should be) the thing to do is NOT to spam Michael Smith's twitter with abuse, that just makes cycling fans look like morons. What you SHOULD do is get in touch with the ESPN 'Ombudsman'. His job is to deal with complaints and criticism of how ESPN handles news and events. Fill out that form POLITELY and explain why you think it is inappropriate for an ESPN columnist to make light of a very serious crash that could well have resulted in deaths.

If enough people do this we might actually get something done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2826900
User avatar Jamsque

12 Jul 2011 20:30

Granville57 wrote:Here's the disgusting breakdown for those just tuning in...

It makes me think he was making fun of the driver more than anything when I read the twitter feed.
User avatar JRTinMA

Next

Return to Professional road racing