Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

15 May 2019 19:23

Armchair cyclist wrote:Who is this Felix guy in the studio chat? He doesn't seem to have heard of the 3 second rule for timing gaps on a flat stage: how can he be taken seriously as a reporter if he is unaware of things like that?

Who? I've been switching to English feed whenever ES-Denmark has one of their one billion ad-breaks, and the only guys I've noticed in the studio are N. Roche, D. LLoyd, and B. Smith (and only figured out who he is today).
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re: Re:

16 May 2019 07:56

RedheadDane wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:Who is this Felix guy in the studio chat? He doesn't seem to have heard of the 3 second rule for timing gaps on a flat stage: how can he be taken seriously as a reporter if he is unaware of things like that?

Who? I've been switching to English feed whenever ES-Denmark has one of their one billion ad-breaks, and the only guys I've noticed in the studio are N. Roche, D. LLoyd, and B. Smith (and only figured out who he is today).

Felix Lowe. He was on yesterday. aka Eurosport's Blazin' Saddles.

http://www.felixlowe.com/
argyllflyer

17 May 2019 07:18

British Eurosport commentary pairings so far (mens .WT, .HC and .1 only):

Tour Down Under (highlights): (world feed - Liggett & McEwan)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race: (world feed - Keenan & McEwan w/ Evans)
Vuelta a San Juan: Hatch & Backstedt (stage 1), Stephens (stage 2-7)
Challenge Mallorca: Hatch (solo)
Herald Sun Tour (highlights): (world feed - Keenan & David McKenzie)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana: Hatch & Smith
Tour of Oman (recap): (world feed - Marty MacDonald)
Clasica de Almeria: (ES Player only)
Trofeo Laigueglia: (ES Player only)
Volta ao Algarve: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3), Simon Gerrans (stages 4&5)
Vuelta a Andalucia: Kirby & Smith
UAE Tour: Hatch & Gerrans (stage 1), Smith (stage 2-7)
Omloop Het Niewsblad: Quigley & Backstedt
Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne: Quigley & Backstedt
Le Samyn: Hatch & Backstedt
Strade Bianche: Hatch & Backstedt
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
Tirreno-Adriatico: Kirby & Smith
Tour de Taiwan: Kirby (solo)
Nokere Koerse: Hatch & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde (formerly Handzame) Classic: Stephens & Backstedt
Milan-Sanremo: Hatch & Stephens
Tour of Catalunya: Kirby & Stephens
Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne: Hatch & Smith (men) / Lucy Martin (women)
E3 Binckbank Classic: Hatch & Backstedt
Gent-Wevelgem: Quigley & Smith
Dwars Door Vlaanderen: Kirby & Smith
Giro di Sicilia: Quigley (solo stage 1) & Smith (stage 2-)
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Kirby, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs: Quigley & Backstedt
Paris-Roubaix: Hatch, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Tour of Turkey: Kirby & Smith
De Brabantse Pijl: Quigley & Stephens
Amstel Gold Race: Quigley & Kelly
Tour of the Alps: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3, 5), Backstedt (stage 4) (live from Monday 22nd April)
Tro Bro Leon: Quigley & Backstedt
La Fleche Wallonne: Kirby & Stephens
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie: Kirby & Smith
Eschborn-Frankfurt: Quigley & Stephens
Tour de Yorkshire: Quigley & Gibb
Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly (UK) / Kirby & Backstedt (International) (live from Sat 11th May)
Tour of California: Kirby & Smith (stages 1-3), Gibb & Smith (stage 4-) (live from Sun 12th May)
4 Jours de Dunkerque: Gibb & Colin Sturgess
Tour de l'Ain: Gibb & Sturgess
GP Marcel Kint: (ES Player only)
Circuit de Wallonie: (ES Player only)
GP de Plumelec - Morbihan: (ES Player only)
Criterium du Dauphine: Hatch & Stephens

Selected future events confirmed

Tour de France: tbc
Vuelta a Espana: tbc
Last edited by argyllflyer on 09 Jun 2019 07:43, edited 8 times in total.
argyllflyer

18 May 2019 00:26

I don't hear Gibb much but he has been atrocious in California. Can't identify a rider for the life of him – on stage 4 he said QuickStep takes the win ahead of UAE. Today he was saying Higuita/Pogacar group would be catching Schachmann soon, when he was caught like a kilometre before.

I mean Kirby gets annoying, and Smith comes out with some daft stuff sometimes (in the post-race he and Blythe seemed to have no idea why Formolo might want to ride and gain time vs play games for the win, or why Trek would help to chase down Bilbao/Formolo) but this is just basic stuff lol...
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

18 May 2019 15:00

"I think the break might take this"
"The break never had a change"
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

18 May 2019 20:41

Walscheid Walscheid Walscheid!*

Cees Bol*
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

22 May 2019 22:38

I trust we all have this on pre-order?

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

22 May 2019 22:49

Libertine Seguros wrote:I trust we all have this on pre-order?

Oh, he is only a Tour de France commentator now. Why is he commenting the Giro and other races then :twisted:
I'd actually read that.
User avatar johnymax

22 May 2019 23:35

Some of the 'reviews' Bloomsbury picked, lol https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

“I've heard all these stories before, but it was great to read them in silence...” – Dan Lloyd, GCN presenter and winner of the 2008 Vuelta Extremadura

“Get that bloody [Carlton] Kirby down here – I'd like to give him a good slap” – Mark Cavendish,

“[Carlton Kirby] You make it sound like I'm not paying attention” – Chris Froome,

I wonder how many pages are going to be about Seb Reichenbach, Simon Clarke and motorbikes passing within 2 metres of the break??
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

Re:

23 May 2019 15:42

luckyboy wrote:Some of the 'reviews' Bloomsbury picked, lol https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

“I've heard all these stories before, but it was great to read them in silence...” – Dan Lloyd, GCN presenter and winner of the 2008 Vuelta Extremadura

“Get that bloody [Carlton] Kirby down here – I'd like to give him a good slap” – Mark Cavendish,

“[Carlton Kirby] You make it sound like I'm not paying attention” – Chris Froome,

I wonder how many pages are going to be about Seb Reichenbach, Simon Clarke and motorbikes passing within 2 metres of the break??

Nice reviews and they mean every word of it.............
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

23 May 2019 17:13

luckyboy wrote:Some of the 'reviews' Bloomsbury picked, lol https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

The biggest question is, will Manny Bookman embed himself or impose himself?
User avatar Squire

23 May 2019 20:06

Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

In other words, makes him more Kirby-esque.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

24 May 2019 00:11

Armchair cyclist wrote:Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

Have to admit he was getting on my nerves a bit yesterday and some long silences from Sean...........
movingtarget
Veteran

24 May 2019 01:09

Squire wrote:

The biggest question is, will Manny Bookman embed himself or impose himself?

At least he stopped suggesting that Bora were trying to set up sprints for Buchmann when he eventually realised that he and Ackermann are different people.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

24 May 2019 05:27

movingtarget wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

Have to admit he was getting on my nerves a bit yesterday and some long silences from Sean...........

Couldn't agree more. I generally like Rob Hatch's commentary but he seems to be making himself more like Kirby, getting overly excited and very pro certain riders, although the Yates worship has toned down since the last TT result.
I am beginning to wonder whether he has been told to make himself a bit more like Kirby so that they can justify using him instead of Kirby going forward.
User avatar mariposa

Re:

24 May 2019 05:29

Libertine Seguros wrote:I trust we all have this on pre-order?

Absolutely no chance Whatsoever!
User avatar mariposa

26 May 2019 12:27

"I used to go fishing without bait on the hook, because I found the idea of getting a fish off the hook frightening" - Karsten Kroon 2019
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

26 May 2019 12:49

I just realised the pun in the title of those Flecha segments...
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

26 May 2019 16:43

mariposa wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I generally like Rob Hatch's commentary but he seems to be making himself more like Kirby, getting overly excited and very pro certain riders, although the Yates worship has toned down since the last TT result.
I am beginning to wonder whether he has been told to make himself a bit more like Kirby so that they can justify using him instead of Kirby going forward.

Then why not just use Kirby (qm) Unless you know something we don't, the network wouldn't be wasting time trying to create another Kirby. They already have one.
If your theory has some traction, that would just go to show that my man Carlton Kirby is beloved by the masses. CK has a ton of positive feedback from non-cyclists. Otherwise, the network would not be doing what you are suggesting. That is a fact. We all know that there is a general culture of disdain held with those who ride their bike more than 400 k a week. One can only speculate why.
User avatar the delgados

27 May 2019 02:50

I really haven't noticed Hatch being favourable about riders to be honest, at least not to the extent that Kirby is. Don't think he is as excited as Kirby either, with all the yelling and stuff.

He is clearly the best British ES guy for identifying riders, getting pronounciations right and adding little facts and historical notes into the commentary. I think Kirby isn't too good at the last point. Kirby is largely fine though, and probably better for fans who aren't total expert/nerds like everyone here.

Hatch and Stephens is the best commentary duo, imo. It's a shame Stephens is send out to interview James Knox and Matt White every day during this Giro. Just send Ashley, Simon Richardson, Laura out to do interviews like that.

Stephens would be better doing some jokey pre-recorded stuff, a stage recon video, and in the commentary box.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing