Register

Eurosport commentary

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

14 Jul 2011 09:37

rxgqgxnyfz wrote:Russian commentary on Eurosport is simply amazing:

- Kurdyukov's voice and overall attitude is highly energizing, he can make curling exciting, let alone cycling
- he casually speaks italian, french and english
- during the long race he usually tells the history of every given church, village, castle, river, town, road, mill, lake or monument that the race passes by at the moment, often advising what to do and where to go to and what to eat if you want to go to this particular region
- of course his actual cycling commentary is great as well
- constant communication with the audience by twitter live
- each stage he calls someone to discuss the events of the race live (yesterday, for instance it was Ernesto Colnago, before that he spoke to Abdoujaparov) or to russian speaking Astana or Katyusha or Radioshack's DSs.

When watching english streams you get bored really quick and just simple commentary of just race events feels too bare for someone who got used to russian eurosport.

What did they say about Kolobnev?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Jul 2011 11:38

Harmon and Kelly are good together because they are so different. Same goes for Magnus and Brian Smith when they are paired with the other guy.
movingtarget

14 Jul 2011 12:13

Gott say i love Harmon & Kelly. Even Kirbys in on the act with the tongue in cheek gags. I doubt they tale themselves that seriously either. They keep the thing rolling along & fair play to them over 3 to 4 hours.
By the way anyone here ever met Harmon? Sounds like a bloke you could have a Beer with & a chinwag.
Kerbdog

14 Jul 2011 12:28

THe ES panelists on the other hand are a joke.

This bald guy has been asked twice about Peter Velits and does not on either occasion mention the Vuelta.

Why is Peter Velits seen as a contender?

"Because i saw him 4 years ago and he is a young rider like Gerraint Thomas".

Umm I would rank beating J Rod at the Vuelta a bigger reason, but what do i know.

They also keep talking about Evans being the favourite but say Samu isnt someone that ever had a chance of winning.

And according to ES betting websites base their odds on these guys.

What a joke.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

14 Jul 2011 12:34

And Tony Gibb asks if Evans won LBL in the rainbow jersey.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

14 Jul 2011 12:34

The Hitch wrote:THe ES panelists on the other hand are a joke.

This bald guy has been asked twice about Peter Velits and does not on either occasion mention the Vuelta.

Why is Peter Velits seen as a contender?

"Because i saw him 4 years ago and he is a young rider like Gerraint Thomas".

Umm I would rank beating J Rod at the Vuelta a bigger reason, but what do i know.

They also keep talking about Evans being the favourite but say Samu isnt someone that ever had a chance of winning.

What a joke.

I'm guessing the bald glasses wearing Cav fanboy? As opposed to Magnus. Yesterday he was saying he expects BMC to be the dominant team in the mountains.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

14 Jul 2011 12:56

Tony Gibb is a gorilla. Christ only knows why ES have invited him back. Magnus must be otherwise engaged. I've never met a more arrogant and conceited cyclist than Gibb.

John Herety at least is a a current Pro Continental DS and has ridden the Classics as a pro. His insight at Paris Roubaix this year definitely informed the viewers during the race. Perhaps he's not a GT pundit but he's certainly not all bad. Yes, he's an unashamed Cav fan but I'm not going to hold that against him. In my opinion, he and Backstedt are the two best 'pundits' available to ES.
LugHugger

David Duffield

15 Jul 2011 13:37

Am I the only one to miss the good old days of commentry from DD on Eurosport?
tdfChamp

15 Jul 2011 13:42

tdfChamp wrote:Am I the only one to miss the good old days of commentry from DD on Eurosport?

Please use the search function before opening a new thread.

Eurosport commentary is being discussed here:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=14489&page=5
User avatar Bala Verde

15 Jul 2011 18:59

As tdf's question was legit, I merged these two threads if anyone would like to keep the thread alive discussing the Duffers.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

15 Jul 2011 19:40

The Hitch wrote:

What a joke.

That's cos at the Tour you get a lot of people who don't normally watch cycling - who will listen to these guys' mistakes and believe them - who are prepared to put some money on it. The betting sites know which side of the bread has butter on it. They've made a lot of money out of bets on Armstrong and Wiggins in the last year or two.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

15 Jul 2011 21:20

Midnightfright wrote:I'm guessing the bald glasses wearing Cav fanboy? As opposed to Magnus. Yesterday he was saying he expects BMC to be the dominant team in the mountains.

John Herety isn't that bad at least he tipped Samu for his win
Boardslide

15 Jul 2011 21:36

I have now done text commentary for between four and five hours for 13 days. And that on its own is tough, but at least I can take breaks when there is nothing going on.

There is no way on earth I could commentate for five hours, on a stage like thursdays and remain sane.

As we said when Kirkby's mad female stalker was here, if anyone here can do their jobs half as well, then they can critisize
TeamSkyFans

15 Jul 2011 22:51

Ah so that's why you haven't been on the forum much (at all?) during the race.
inthedrops.net

blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy

15 Jul 2011 22:55

luckyboy wrote:Ah so that's why you haven't been on the forum much (at all?) during the race.

yup. ive been busy working my fingers down to their stumps.

This was thursdays marathon session
TeamSkyFans

15 Jul 2011 23:52

Boardslide wrote:John Herety isn't that bad at least he tipped Samu for his win

Not really. Herety didnt even bring Sanchez up. Richardson was talking about guys that might surprise that hadnt been named, then said "some interesting words coming from Sanchez isnt that right John", to wich the bald guy read out the story about how Samu said he might work with Contador.

He then said that Sanchez was a guy who isnt a gc contender (unlike Wiggins and Evans for example:rolleyes:).

So yes hes very very bad.

The other guy was then asked to name another rider who was not to well known but might challenge.

When before the stage Richardson asked them both to name the winner, neither picked Samu.

But after the race, since the only names ever mentioned in the studio are Cav Evans, the Schlecks and Contador, and someone who had been mentioned before hand won, they were like OMG you said this Sanechez guys name beforehand.

User avatar The Hitch

24 Jul 2011 17:42

OMG did anyone see when they were interviewing Contador and they took it over to Kirby to translate and instead of translating, or letting Contador talk so that those who speak Spanish could hear what the man had to say, Kirby dismissed what Contador was saying "hes talking about history" and started talking about Cadel on the podium.

I know he loves Cadel but that was not what he was supposed to do. I wanted to hear what Contador had to say.

I also think Kirby makes up a lot of what he translates. Its often quite general what he says. For instance you hear someone talking for a minute and Kirby says " Im feeling tired but I hope i win" which is what anyone could have guessed but highly unlikely that it takes a minute for them to simply say they want to win.

User avatar The Hitch

24 Jul 2011 18:31

I wonder if Sean Kelly would commentate on his own. He seems to comment only when Hammond requests him to. He hardly takes the initiative to comment. Certainly they shouldn't be paired with Kirby. Or Sean wouldn't talk at ALL :p
User avatar Mshengu

24 Jul 2011 18:36

After my first Tour without Eurosport I can honestly say it will not happen again. The difference between Eurosport and ITV coverage is mind boggling (although thats not saying much). Had to watch the last 2 stages on mute because I just couldnt take it anymore. Harmon, Kelly and Kirby do what is a very hard job exceedingly well.
User avatar Richeypen

24 Jul 2011 18:57

Richeypen wrote:After my first Tour without Eurosport I can honestly say it will not happen again. The difference between Eurosport and ITV coverage is mind boggling (although thats not saying much). Had to watch the last 2 stages on mute because I just couldnt take it anymore. Harmon, Kelly and Kirby do what is a very hard job exceedingly well.

Couldn't disagree more - harmon consistently gets lost when commentating sprint finishes while phil and Paul spend more time commentating on the race rather than talk s**te when in the thick of the action
therealtimshady

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing